Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best source for 3.76 LSD

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 10:10 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, that makes sense -- thank you. But damn, that's a lotta money! I could do $1000 installed for a torque converter cause it sounds like it "really wakes the car up" and can shave 1/2 sec off the 0-60 time from what I've read. I'm just completely on the bubble with this upgrade...

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
Does the 3.76 lsd throw our speedo off? I just installed mine last night but have not had a chance to drive the car much.
Nah -- our speedo pulls its info from a speed sensor at the wheels.
Old 02-06-10, 10:11 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Does the 3.76 lsd throw our speedo off? I just installed mine last night but have not had a chance to drive the car much.
Tell us what you think!!!
Old 02-06-10, 02:23 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
note to the OP...the ONLY unit you can use is the supra tt auto LSD. you cannot use any other unit.
I was under the impression that an IS LSD unit would work also.
Just not the entire pumpkin.

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex

3. the Kaaz LSD; VERY similar to the TRD LSD as it too is a drop in type LSD ~$1000 new
Really? Did someone invent a maintenance free LSD (well, I guess torsens do require maintenance but requires far less attention compared to a clutch type)? B/c I'm pretty sure the Kaaz is a clutch type.
^PS: refer to my post #22.

I thought my speedo was foobarred when I first got the Supra rear end b/c the revs were higher than what I was used to

Last edited by kit cat; 02-07-10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-06-10, 02:48 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank,

Alexus 300 hit the nail on the head! There are a couple of LSD units sold out there...the three most common are:

1. the RMM 3.76 LSD (or otherwise known as the Supra TT LSD; they are BOTH exactly the same); complete pumpkin, direct bolt-on and ready to go ~ $1600 new

2. the TRD LSD; a drop in type LSD where you install it inside your existing pumpkin (differential) ~800 new but MUCH more labor is involved with this install

3. the Kaaz LSD; VERY similar to the TRD LSD as it too is a drop in type LSD ~$1000 new

Yes, you can buy an oem 3.92 open diff (from a GS300) and buy either the TRD LSD or Kaaz LSD; they both just drop right into that 3.92 pumpkin from what I understand; but verify when ordering of course. You RARELY see these drop-in type of LSD's used for sale on CL. So expect to pay the $800 no problem. For the 3.92 diff you could either source one from a junk yard and pick it up for perhaps ~250 or so. Or, you can try to find a person with a turbo'd GS300! %2
If you're not looking to spend $1200 or more, I'd say that your choices are limited to only the Supra TT auto diff for a direct drop in. In terms of upgraded clutch type LSD that can be fitted to the supra TT and 2GS diff., you have the option of the TRD unit, the Kaaz unit, the Carbonetic, and Quaife. In the end, you must ask yourself what purpose are you looking to get out of the LSD before I can suggest which path to take. Note that any of the clutch type LSD requires around $600-800 to properly install the unit into the diff pumpkin. It's very labor intensive because you must get the backlash correct or else you'll end up with premature clutch pack wear.
Old 02-06-10, 03:57 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
If you're not looking to spend $1200 or more, I'd say that your choices are limited to only the Supra TT auto diff for a direct drop in. In terms of upgraded clutch type LSD that can be fitted to the supra TT and 2GS diff., you have the option of the TRD unit, the Kaaz unit, the Carbonetic, and Quaife. In the end, you must ask yourself what purpose are you looking to get out of the LSD before I can suggest which path to take. Note that any of the clutch type LSD requires around $600-800 to properly install the unit into the diff pumpkin. It's very labor intensive because you must get the backlash correct or else you'll end up with premature clutch pack wear.
if I may add, break in period is VERY specific and important for clutch type LSDs also.
Old 02-06-10, 05:49 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I was under the impression that an IS LSD unit would work also.
Just not the entire pumpkin.

Really? Did someone invent a maintenance free LSD (well, I guess torsens do require maintenance but requires far less attention compared to a clutch type)? B/c I'm pretty sure the Kaaz is a clutch type.

I thought my speedo was foobarred when I first got the Supra rear end b/c the revs were higher than what I was used to
The Kaaz and TRD are BOTH clutch type...the RMM (supra TT) LSD is a torsen style which yes, does require less maintenance. FYI...I believe you need to use friction modifiers in the clutch type ones as well.
Old 02-07-10, 10:16 AM
kit cat

The Kaaz and TRD are BOTH clutch type...the RMM (supra TT) LSD is a torsen style which yes, does require less maintenance. FYI...I believe you need to use friction modifiers in the clutch type ones as well.

http://www.trdparts.jp/parts_lsd_mechanical.html

huh, i retract my previous statement. I always thought the TRD was a Torsen.
Old 02-07-10, 10:58 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

So what does it take to put LSD in a factory 3.23 diff? Source/cost/install?

(I NEED LSD, but $1000+ for a marginal performance improvement and worse gas mileage...)

I suppose I could try searchin' this, though...sorry if its been answered already.
Old 02-07-10, 11:42 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
So what does it take to put LSD in a factory 3.23 diff? Source/cost/install?

(I NEED LSD, but $1000+ for a marginal performance improvement and worse gas mileage...)

I suppose I could try searchin' this, though...sorry if its been answered already.
Like I've stated above, you are hard press going with a 3.23 ring gear due to the fact that no toyota cars came stock with LSD with that gear ratio. It has to be a custom deal. So with your spending budget of $1k, its not gonna cut it. The parts alone cost more than that. But here's the break down of it, out of the available LSD's that we can use in the 2gs pumpkin, the TRD one is probably the cheapest of them all. And even with this unit, after you purchase new seals and parts on top of the LSD unit itself, parts total would be roughly $1k. Then you must take it to a shop that has experience with installing a LSD and pay an additional $600-$800 for the installation.
Old 02-07-10, 01:35 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Question for those who have switched over from the stock diff to the 3.76..what is now your top speed? I know many of you don't push your cars that fast, but Id like to know from those that do how much of a change it is from the stock diff to the supra one.
Old 02-08-10, 05:45 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Question for those who have switched over from the stock diff to the 3.76..what is now your top speed? I know many of you don't push your cars that fast, but Id like to know from those that do how much of a change it is from the stock diff to the supra one.
3.76 limited slip diff - Top speed will now be "mechanically" limited to around 132mph

3.23 open diff - Top speed is "electronically" limited to 147mph

So, in the grand scheme of things you can go 15mph faster top-speed-wise with the stock diff...but due to logic of mechanics (the differential gear ratios) the 3.76 will get to the 130 mark a good amount quicker than the stock 3.23 gearing will get to that same 130 mark.

IMHO if you do a roll race from say 60-120mph, that is all you need to see who is faster. If I am winning (or losing) by 2-3 cars by the time we reach 120mph then I would shut it down; after that it just becomes a waiting game of whichever car has a higher top speed after that. Obviously, if the losing car has a 150mph top speed it will pass me no problem as I approach my rev limiter (top speed of 132mph).
Old 02-08-10, 09:10 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Maybe its because I've worked all night and its 4am, but I have no idea what the hell you just said dude. Can you reexplain, but pretend I'm your kid? I.e., "Buy a GS300 pumpkin from a junkyard, buy Supra TRD LSD from ebay, take everything to a transmission shop and tell them to make the two pieces one big one."
haha, you gave me the lulz
Old 02-08-10, 10:15 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

3.76 limited slip diff - Top speed will now be "mechanically" limited to around 132mph

3.23 open diff - Top speed is "electronically" limited to 147mph
I have to disagree with this quote here. Top speed will all depends on the power you're putting down and where your redline is set. I know for a fact that on my supra with the 3.76 ring gear, I've hit 172 mph once and I was ~6200 rpm. Many friends of mine have taken theirs to over 200 mph with the 3.76. It's just that I'm too afraid to go past 150...
Old 02-08-10, 10:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
I have to disagree with this quote here. Top speed will all depends on the power you're putting down and where your redline is set. I know for a fact that on my supra with the 3.76 ring gear, I've hit 172 mph once and I was ~6200 rpm. Many friends of mine have taken theirs to over 200 mph with the 3.76. It's just that I'm too afraid to go past 150...
NO NO NO! Then they MUST have extended their rev limiter!!! It thas NOTHING to do with power. By adding more power you will just get there faster!

Obviously if the rev limiter is increased AND/OR the speed limiter is REMOVED via a standalone ECU then...YES the top speed can be extended.

I am sorry but we all were talking about if everything else is held constant. i.e. not messing with the rev limiter or the speed limiter. The GS4XX WILL NOT go ANY faster than 132mph with the 3.76 gearing and stock tranny...PERIOD! I don't care how much WHP you add.

Also, the supra transmission is A LOT different than the GS4XX transmission this changes everything!!! It is apples to oranges...
Old 02-08-10, 11:30 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

when i had my TT diff in i couldn't hit past 122 without the car hitting the rev limiter. once on the interstate i was embarrassed by a gs300 on the interstate at top end...i couldn't get past 122 and he was rolling on by. now with the oem 430 diff back in i have seen 131 but havent pushed her further

Quick Reply: Best source for 3.76 LSD