Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT intake vs. K&N

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 06:10 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Hey its all good man. Actually after about a week or so my car got adjusted to the intake and is feeling really quick. It sounds 100% better than stock too, much deeper and a nice Whoosh sound of air. I got mine from auto anything. But i'd recommend Amazon.com i think its $280 bucks or something with free shipping. A good deal!
It's all in your head! Well, at least the low-end power. EVERY intake WILL make ANY car slower on the low-end. There have been many, many tests to prove this and not just on these CL forums. However they DO improve mid and high-end ranges...with more of an increase on the high-end. The A/F controller will help but a nice high stall torque converter helps all.

You should find someone in your area with one installed and go for a ride. It literally is night and day...from this mod alone you probably will leave a stockish GS4xx in the dust by 2+ cars by the time you hit 60mph assuming your traction is good.
Old 02-24-10, 06:41 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
It's all in your head! Well, at least the low-end power. EVERY intake WILL make ANY car slower on the low-end. There have been many, many tests to prove this and not just on these CL forums. However they DO improve mid and high-end ranges...with more of an increase on the high-end. The A/F controller will help but a nice high stall torque converter helps all.

You should find someone in your area with one installed and go for a ride. It literally is night and day...from this mod alone you probably will leave a stockish GS4xx in the dust by 2+ cars by the time you hit 60mph assuming your traction is good.
Your talking about a high stall TC right? I know you have a precision industries one, but i saw some other website selling one(can't remember right now) For around $300 saying it has a 2800rpm stall and everything. Have you heard anything about this? And why the price is nearly double for the PI TC? Thanks alot Rock!
Old 02-24-10, 07:37 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

It's all in your head! Well, at least the low-end power. EVERY intake WILL make ANY car slower on the low-end.
thats not true at all. ive done a lot of dyno testing of intake lengths, and diameters. intake resonance plays a big role in how much power it makes, and where in the power band it makes it. in one particular case that i remember well, we put an intake on a k24 swapped civic...it put down just over 200whp and 160ftlbs. we played with intake lengths and diameters...and found that a 4" diameter intake that was 46" long gained 26whp and 20ftlbs of tq throughout the ENTIRE rpm range. it was nuts. i have a pic somewhere on my computer at home.

off the shelf polished intake tubes may not increase low end power, but that doesnt mean its there for the taking
Old 02-24-10, 08:47 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DumpedGS
thats not true at all. ive done a lot of dyno testing of intake lengths, and diameters. intake resonance plays a big role in how much power it makes, and where in the power band it makes it. in one particular case that i remember well, we put an intake on a k24 swapped civic...it put down just over 200whp and 160ftlbs. we played with intake lengths and diameters...and found that a 4" diameter intake that was 46" long gained 26whp and 20ftlbs of tq throughout the ENTIRE rpm range. it was nuts. i have a pic somewhere on my computer at home.

off the shelf polished intake tubes may not increase low end power, but that doesnt mean its there for the taking
Yeah, I'm talking about the regular intakes that you can buy at a store. and I am talking about adding an intake to a car that had a STOCK airbox in it before! Something tells me that your friend's k24 swapped Civic didn't have his stock airbox in it. lol He probably went from one intake (that sucked) to this newer (customized) one of which you speak and saw gains over the previous "store sold" POS intake.

Most (if not all the time) going from a stock airbox to any store sold intake you WILL lose low-end power! Period! Machine dyno and butt dyno proven! This is why MANY CL members that aren't into power modding KEEP their stock airbox in tact and just use a K&N drop-in filter (which DOES add power) but this setup become useless and restrictive if exhaust, headers, A/F controllers are added down the road.
Old 02-24-10, 08:53 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Your talking about a high stall TC right? I know you have a precision industries one, but i saw some other website selling one(can't remember right now) For around $300 saying it has a 2800rpm stall and everything. Have you heard anything about this? And why the price is nearly double for the PI TC? Thanks alot Rock!
Yes, you may be talking about the Lextreme high stall torque converters. I think they are like $400 bucks or so but use the OEM torque converter and modify it to a higher stall.

The Precision Industries one is Billet-made, very lightweight and very hard to destroy...MUCH better quality unit overall.
Old 02-24-10, 09:54 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

Yeah, I'm talking about the regular intakes that you can buy at a store. and I am talking about adding an intake to a car that had a STOCK airbox in it before! Something tells me that your friend's k24 swapped Civic didn't have his stock airbox in it. lol He probably went from one intake (that sucked) to this newer (customized) one of which you speak and saw gains over the previous "store sold" POS intake.

Most (if not all the time) going from a stock airbox to any store sold intake you WILL lose low-end power! Period! Machine dyno and butt dyno proven! This is why MANY CL members that aren't into power modding KEEP their stock airbox in tact and just use a K&N drop-in filter (which DOES add power) but this setup become useless and restrictive if exhaust, headers, A/F controllers are added down the road.
the car i spoke of had a generic ebay 3" cold air intake on it when it came to the dyno. if it had teh stock air box, it would have been even more of a dramatic gain.

thats neither here nor there...the stock airbox gives you an increase in tq because the box acts as a reversion chamber, but in high rpms its a choke point. same concept as the "whale *****" intakes. gives great tq down low, and crisp throttle response, but loses velocity in the higher rpms. its give and take. you need an intake system that compliments the power band your after...its not a 1 is better than the other situation.
Old 02-24-10, 10:27 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

^I completely agree...that's all I was trying to say.

Going from the stock setup (airbox), 9/10 times you will see weaker low-end performance when JUST an air intake is added to replace that stock airbox.
Old 02-24-10, 11:58 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

^I completely agree...that's all I was trying to say.

Going from the stock setup (airbox), 9/10 times you will see weaker low-end performance when JUST an air intake is added to replace that stock airbox.
i see your tune has changed from this "EVERY intake WILL make ANY car slower on the low-end." your statement isn't very accurate at all. it depends on the car. there is also off the shelf intake systems for a variety of cars that will increase low end response...the Password JDM "whale *****" and the ARC induction box are 2 that i can think of right off hand that counter-act your statement above. also depends on the length and diameter of the intake pipe...just because the K&N fipk and the SRT intake lose bottom end tq, doesnt mean another brand that your not familiar with, wont.

just sayin'
Old 02-24-10, 01:36 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

i see your tune has changed from this "EVERY intake WILL make ANY car slower on the low-end." your statement isn't very accurate at all. it depends on the car. there is also off the shelf intake systems for a variety of cars that will increase low end response...the Password JDM "whale *****" and the ARC induction box are 2 that i can think of right off hand that counter-act your statement above. also depends on the length and diameter of the intake pipe...just because the K&N fipk and the SRT intake lose bottom end tq, doesnt mean another brand that your not familiar with, wont.

just sayin'

Fair enough...but every instance that I heard and read be it on these forums (for any model) and other areas on the net my statement stands...especially for the GS models.

lol!!! Do me a favor and buy yourself a Weapon R intake for your Lexus and see if you gain on the low-end over the stock airbox. The Weapon R is even worse than the K&N and the SRT. Still these intakes will reduce low-end power as compared to the stock airbox. Actually, the SRT is a poor example because since it comes with an ECU, it will to optimize performance in all areas...this is where THIS particular air intake will be more powerful in the low-end range over the stock airbox.

Perhaps 4 bangers react different to air intakes but it is fact that larger engines will be worse off on the low-end with just an addition of an air intake. You just hate to be wrong.

I got something for you...and I don't mind being wrong when I am. Do me a favor, you seem like a car (performance) guy; find a dyno (be it a graph or a video) of a bone stock ANYTHING and then one of that bone stock anything WITH any regular intake (not the fancy cold air intakes that cost a lot more money). I'd like to see those torque/power numbers down low and compare them.
Old 02-25-10, 12:32 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

all that tells me is that the people that make intakes for our cars dont do enough r&d to produce soemthing that actually makes power. the design of the intake dictactes when and where it makes power.

ill take your challenge...and give you this.
http://www.airaid.com/DynoResults.aspx
http://www.g35driver.com/forums/tune...dyno-test.html
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ay+intake+dyno

do i like to be wrong? no, nobody does, do they? thing is, i dont talk about things i dont know about. ive been around the block more times than i can count, and along the way ive learned a thing or two about motorsports and modifying cars. my $.02 are just that....my $.02.
Old 02-25-10, 12:36 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Soooo, can yall recommend me an intake? LOL. Not to be disrespectful, but this is all pretty much just gibberish to me. I just want an intake but nothing super cheap or expensive. Thanks!
Old 02-25-10, 01:23 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

all that tells me is that the people that make intakes for our cars dont do enough r&d to produce soemthing that actually makes power. the design of the intake dictactes when and where it makes power.

ill take your challenge...and give you this.
http://www.airaid.com/DynoResults.aspx
http://www.g35driver.com/forums/tune...dyno-test.html
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ay+intake+dyno

do i like to be wrong? no, nobody does, do they? thing is, i dont talk about things i dont know about. ive been around the block more times than i can count, and along the way ive learned a thing or two about motorsports and modifying cars. my $.02 are just that....my $.02.
Cool, and I appreciate the follow-up...I do stand corrected on the first (Airaid setup) link...seems like a great product! However, Link #2 states that the intake in that discussion starts seeing gains at around 3250 which would be more of mid-range and the results stay constent until higher ranges. Link #3 seems like the dyno starts at the mid-range?

But I don't mind to say that I should NOT have said ALL intake setups are worse than the stock-air box...I should have re-phrased it as FEW.
Old 02-25-10, 02:58 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

the g35 dyno clearly shows (and he states in the thread) that there is a 10ftlbs of tq increase at 2750 rpms. and to be fair, the subaru was an auto and im sure he has a hard time holding it in gear at low rpms like we do (hence the reason my dyno starts at 3k) so i think anything that is in the "lower" rpm range can be considered low end. its really here nor there...i could have found LOTS more, but i chose to find dyno sheets that werent from Honda's this was just found from a 3 minute google search lol

i cant stress enough about the importance of intake diameter and length. just slapping on a 3" tube, and a filter wont do you any favors