Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best Torque Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-02, 08:14 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Best Torque Converter?

Hey All.
I've been debating on a torque converter for a long time, probably why i bought the LSD first.
I know there are several on the market for the GS4's..
In the Opinion of all the guys and gals<if any> , which torque converter is the best? Are there Any Longevity problems?

I'm between the SRT and RMM TC?!?!?!
Driving me nutzzz!

Please Help....

Thanks,
1QWKGS4
Old 05-23-02, 08:19 PM
RacingAristo

They are both from the same manu. Precision Industries.
I ordered the TC from SRT and installed it at RMM. RMM guy couldn't tell the difference since the serial # is the same.
Old 05-23-02, 09:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

No problems with mine, have had it for about 2 years.

One recommendation - consider getting an aftermarket transmission cooler when you put in the TC, especially if you plan to do long highway drives or take your car to the track.

Do a search in the gs forum for tranny cooler and you'll find a few good threads. Mine is a Permacool.
Old 05-23-02, 09:58 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RacingAristo
They are both from the same manu. Precision Industries.
I ordered the TC from SRT and installed it at RMM. RMM guy couldn't tell the difference since the serial # is the same.
Hey how many hours of labor and what was their labor rate?
Old 05-23-02, 11:04 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Being that a aftermarket TC has a higher stall speed. How does it affect the durability if most of my driving is below 2000 rpm (city driving 35-45mph)? Under normal driving the aftermarket TC will be slipping continuously as compare to highway driving at where you guys are located. FYI there is no highway(s) on Guam. Maximum posted speed is 35 to 45mph. But I do occassionally drag race at stoplight and on slow roll.

I know a transmission cooler will be needed for sure.

Chu...
Old 05-24-02, 12:16 AM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by Hermosa

Hey how many hours of labor and what was their labor rate?
For some reason, RMM gave me an awesome on TC installation for $200. It cost around $400 for most of the people in CL.

I truely don't know about their labor rate. You can give them a call if you want. Talk to Craig.
Old 05-24-02, 12:17 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Thanks you guys!
This is helping me alot.
I have read other Threads where RacingAristo and MeanGene were talking about the stall speed.. You guys bought your TC from SRT with a (2800) Stall speed?
Is that a set Stall Speed?
Because I was reading at Precision Industries that you can "customize your stall speed depending on your wheel/tire size and other component such as LSD, etc...

Is that the best stall speed..? I really enjoy bottom end-torque off the line. What should I get?

I noticed That Precision INd. is only 4 hours from where I live.
I was wondering maybe i should take my car there and get them make one exactly for my car or the standard (2800) will do???

One more thing, Can Anyone tell me what the difference between Lockup and non-Lockup? I never really understand whats the difference..?????

Thanks,
QWK
Old 05-24-02, 12:32 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Default SRT Problem?

I've read on here that some of many with SRT TC's have had problems with them and it had cause a couple grand in damages?
Does anyone know about this Conversation? probably taken place a while back.

Thanks for the input!
QWK
Old 05-24-02, 01:17 AM
RacingAristo

As far as I know, SRT TC is not meant to be with 430. gsintensive (Wei) has the exactly same problem that came up after the exactly same milages. He had it on 01 430, it had problem. He then put TC on 02 430, the problem came up a lot earlier. Perhaps the ECUs are different? <shrug>

As far as the stall speed, I'm not certain but it's around 3000rpm. Probably 3200 rpm which is good for NA but if you have forced induction, you would need to lower the stall speed.

At this moment I couldn't recall the name of the exact member who has the problem with TC.... all I remember is that his avater is an Asian guy eating or holding a bow of rice. LOL.
Old 05-24-02, 01:20 AM
RacingAristo

BTW, since your place is close to Precision Industries, why not just have them custom fabrciate a TC for you? However, I'd recommend you to do this modification last since you want to complete the untire car (tyres, intake, ecu, exhaust, header, front pipe, and etc) before you ask them to FAB for you for optimal performance.
Old 05-24-02, 01:46 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Thank you RacingAristo!
Well, my car is a '99 GS400 - I hope there will be no problems with the TC.. I think I'm pretty much done with the car.. All I need now is the best Intake/ECU for our cars, then I'll be ready for the TC....

Since you said GS430's have had problems with the TC,
How is everyones GS4's with TC's??

thanks
Old 05-24-02, 02:36 AM
RacingAristo

Lots of GS400 guys have TC and haven't reported any problem. With Mean Gene's case, he just replaced the transmission solonoid. I'd say the risk you are running is a lot lower than with GS430.
Old 05-24-02, 07:48 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Heard My Name!!

Guess it's time for my usual worthless input!!
QWK - I wouldn't worry too much about a "custom" T/C. Either of the Precision T/C's will be fine for a street driven ( & not heavily modded ) GS. BTW - it's also marketed under the model name of "Dragon" & is also sold by Level 10. A custom convertor would optimize your modifications but as those R fairly limited in availability for the Lexus it's not worth the extra money, IMHO. If U go to Level 10's website it asks for your camshaft profile; rear gears; induction & exhaust systems plus lots more. This is necessary for a strip car but is overkill for our rydes; besides, I don't know who has the cam specs ( plus the VVTi system may complicate things ). The Dragon comes with either a 2400 or 2800 rpm stall speed. The lower speed is better for those with forced induction ( supercharger, turbocharger or nitrous ) as traction becomes a problem with that kind of extra torque. Naturally aspirated GS models seem to like the 2800 rpm model ( mine does ). I've had mine almost 2 years with only the solenoid problem ( which WASN'T the fault of the T/C & covered under warranty ). I also have a PermaCool tranny cooler like Dave ( in fact, I think we compared notes before he bought his ). The Dragon IS a lockup convertor; that is, it completely locks up ( no slippage ) once U reach cruising speed. This reduces the heat generated by slippage & aids fuel economy. FWIW - I lost about 1 mpg at Interstate speeds with my T/C but the performance tradeoff was well worth it!! RA's correct about the T/C having a "flash stall" of 3k. That means that the rpms will flash to 3k if U nail it at idle ( a little more than the set speed of 2800 rpms ) but DOESN'T mean that the car won't start moving until 3k rpms!! U will notice some slippage in in-town driving as long as the engine speed is below 2800 but just use the E-shift to stay above it. That also comes in handy for those quick lane changes or potential races!! That $200 installation price of RA's is exceptional. Most shops allow 4-6 hours to do the install ( U have to remove the entire exhaust system & a few other things ) but the actual work is straightforward. Since my buddy's shop as a labor rate of $50/hour ( but remember that this isn't California!! ) $200 is very good. I did mine myself at his shop but it took us right at 3 hours working together; besides, we've done dozens of T/C installs in our drag racing pasts. It's a good modification - probably the best "bang for your buck"! Enjoy!!
Old 05-24-02, 08:32 AM
RacingAristo

Mean Gene,

That is a nice overall brief introduction regarding to TC. It should be listed under FAQ.
Old 05-24-02, 11:13 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mean Gene,
I am getting the stock converter modified by pro-torque.
What stall speed do you think i should shoot for?
I know alot of ppl have 2800, what is the disavandtage of having a 2400-2500 stall speed instead of 2800 (I am not planning force induction, I don't want the engine to slip too much, just slipping a little to give me a faster gear response (i am not looking to burn rubber like crazy, just a little bit :-) )

anyone here with the 2400 stall ? any feedback? Protorque will raise the stall speed to what ever I request, I am not sure which stall speed I want now. help help

Anh

Quick Reply: Best Torque Converter?