Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AEM cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 04:53 PM
Manila Ice
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM cold air intake

http://www.aemintakes.com/search/pro...?Prod=41-1402C

the AEM CAI ruled back in the import tuner days, anybody have any clue if their new intake for the 350/250 is any good, or any different then the joe-z, fujita, injen, f-sport, takeda intakes already out there for our cars?,
Old 02-14-10, 05:15 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't heard of anyone running the AEM intake.

Took a look at the IS350 dyno sheet on their site, though, and I'm not impressed. It claimed a gain of 11 hp and said the peak hp with the intake was 227whp.

If my IS350 makes only 227 at the wheels, I'm sending it back.
Old 02-14-10, 05:29 PM
RED95sc
Pole Position

when i worked for lexus, a customer had an AEM intake on his IS350, he said he liked it, and it did sound good, but for that money if you only gaining 11hp, thats hp you wont even notice
Old 02-14-10, 07:10 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uhh isnt that a short ram with a heat shield?
Old 02-14-10, 09:21 PM
G-UNIT182
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered an AEM ETI (Electronic tuned intake) should be here in acouple of days. I am currently running on the F-sport Intake which is decent if you wanna keep the car as stock as possible. I'll post a review once I install the AEM intake.
Old 02-15-10, 07:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, that's a hot-air short ram with a couple bits of plastic shielding around it. I promise you it doesn't add anywhere near 11 rwhp.

Their posted dyno is laughable- they didn't even run in the correct gear.

I'm a bit puzzled by the ETI thing too... there should be no need for an electronic device to lie to the MAF with any properly designed intake for the ISx50, yet they include one.
Old 02-15-10, 10:38 AM
Manila Ice
Driver School Candidate

yeah it does look like a short ram with a heat shield... I just thought i would give AEM the benefit of the doubt since they pretty much pioneered the CAI back in the day... Bypass valve to avoid hydro lock? anyone? lol

Hey g-unit let us know how the intake works out
Old 02-15-10, 11:55 AM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus Christ, I swear this forum goes through 20 intake threads a week. A "bypass valve" on a CAI just turns your CAI into a short ram intake, btw.

Just do the simple thing - get the JoeZ tube. It's not rocket science. These companies prey on kiddos who know nothing about performance and stick all these fancy words next to their glorified plastic tubes and then charge through the roof for them. The JoeZ tube is barely over $100, and has been dyno tested for ~5-6rwhp.

It's not gonna get any better than that, whether or not your intake has "electronic tuning". Ridiculous.
Old 02-15-10, 02:49 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

yup thats what i thought... lol

anyways question...

why hasent any company made a REAL CAI ? like the ones that go down to the bottom fog corner to suck up the cold air from the ground .. so many short rams out
Old 02-15-10, 05:16 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by L-S-D
yup thats what i thought... lol

anyways question...

why hasent any company made a REAL CAI ? like the ones that go down to the bottom fog corner to suck up the cold air from the ground .. so many short rams out
Too tight?
Old 02-15-10, 06:14 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

nobody has made a true cold air intake cause you'd have to cut a hole in the metal between the fender well and the bumper support to do it. judging by what I've seen so far, I dont think too many lexus owners are keen on that idea.

I've been designing an intake system for some time that WILL be truly cold air but it's still technically a short ram too. I've consider goin ahead and takin the plunge to cut the hole but then again its not really all that important for what I'm trying to accomplish and I'm sure the hp gains (if measurable) would be offset by the change in the torque curve anyway on a long tube.
Old 02-15-10, 06:17 PM
plynn_250
Driver School Candidate

I think you have to cut to get down where the cold air is. Not a possibility for bolt on application.
Old 02-16-10, 02:30 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I can't comment on the IS350, since I've done no testing but as long as you have a good seal around the heat shield to the fender and the hood, the intake temps stay very similar. I had an intake on my Supra. For the heck of it, I datalogged it with the stock airbox, then again after I put a simple short ram intake on. The air filter itself sat over the hole where the bottom of the airbox used to be. Then I checked the intake temps with my short ram intake on. As long as the heatshield sealed up against the fender and hood (I used thick, foam rubberized weather stripping) the intake wasn't sucking in the warm engine compartment air. In effect the ram intake with heatshield was sealing about the same as an enclosed airbox.

I suspect you could get as good a result with the IS350. It also has plenty of engine covers which would help keep the heat away. But it REALLY depends on the heatshield design. It has to fit tight. If it doesn't fit tight, get thicker weather stripping. You have to have a nice seal. Barring that, you could cut your own heatshield with some mild steel sheet. Make it a perfect fit.

Has anyone recorded intake temps before/after on an IS350? Are the heatsheilds really bad on the available intakes?
Old 02-16-10, 04:29 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I've recorded temps without an air shield and the throttle body reading easily approached 130 degrees
Old 02-16-10, 05:12 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
I've recorded temps without an air shield and the throttle body reading easily approached 130 degrees
Yup...good sealing of a heatshield is key....

Quick Reply: AEM cold air intake