Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Precision Industries Torque Converter failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 04:30 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtnc
I have to politely disagree with your assessment my friend. First, my car has very easy miles on it; never once has it seen a drag strip and only twice was the car run hard and long enough (that's what she said) to elevate transmission temperatures to a point where they could be an issue (Tail of the Dragon runs).
You don't have to launch the car hard or take it to the drag strip to raise the trans fluid temp, the converter has a higher stall speed so when you are in traffic, or taking off from a light it still raises the temp of the trans fluid.

Second, the transmission cooler was installed properly in front of the A/C condenser where it picks up maximum air flow from the nose of the car for maximum heat exchange. Third, the transmission has always had Amsoil synthetic compatible lubricant changed every 10-15K which is overkill.
As I stated in closing on my previous post, maybe it was time for yours to go, but I have installed enough of them and personally know too many people running them in this particular application to warrant the failure of 1 converter with 50k miles on it a justified reason to tell people it's a bad product.

Fourth, I believe the stall speed was the standard 2800 spec model for our cars; this would certainly not put it in the realm of a "highly" modified converter. Given the easy miles and servicing record, there is no reason this converter shouldn't have lasted much longer. Certainly, not for the money I paid for it. Regardless of your opinion of PI quality, it's important we share these types of stories with each other.
I think you may have misunderstood/misread my last post. I was responding to DumpedGs about his comment on restalled OEM converters, not implying your stall was abnormally high. I should have been clearer about who I was speaking to.

I wish I had seen a story like this from a reputable member before I bought the converter. Maybe this will save a young kid starting out some hard earned money and frustration.
As I mentioned before, it is unfortunate yours failed but I don't think it's fair to imply something is junk when it lasted you 50k, not to mention the fact that there are hundreds of PI's stalls out there for every one that fails.
Old 03-03-10, 05:53 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you've had good luck with your PI converters. I have not, and there have been more than a handful of people on CL who have not if you do a search on the subject (re: CEL shift solenoid codes, etc.) As a former engineer who worked for a Tier 1 automotive supplier, I completely understand the mechanical / fluid function of a torque converter and typical failure modes. Everything else being equal, a 2800 rpm stall converter doesn't raise the trans temp significantly enough to be a mode of premature failure at 50K miles, especially when combined with a transmission cooler. I'm going to guesstimate that there have been at least 5 failures per 200 converters sold on CL; that is a lousy quality record when you consider most of the converters sold to members of this site are "tame" sub-3000 rpm stall converters. You have stated your opinion and I have stated mine regarding quality and durability expectations from an aftermarket torque converter. However, it is factually incorrect to claim a 2800 rpm stall converter (especially when combined with a proper transmission cooler) increases trans temps signficantly enough to be a failure mode at 50K miles.
Originally Posted by macd7919
You don't have to launch the car hard or take it to the drag strip to raise the trans fluid temp, the converter has a higher stall speed so when you are in traffic, or taking off from a light it still raises the temp of the trans fluid.

As I stated in closing on my previous post, maybe it was time for yours to go, but I have installed enough of them and personally know too many people running them in this particular application to warrant the failure of 1 converter with 50k miles on it a justified reason to tell people it's a bad product.

I think you may have misunderstood/misread my last post. I was responding to DumpedGs about his comment on restalled OEM converters, not implying your stall was abnormally high. I should have been clearer about who I was speaking to.

As I mentioned before, it is unfortunate yours failed but I don't think it's fair to imply something is junk when it lasted you 50k, not to mention the fact that there are hundreds of PI's stalls out there for every one that fails.
Old 03-04-10, 12:23 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you consider a failure? I'm assuming you aren't referring to the Gs430 CEL issue as that is a well known problem with this particular application and isn't a failure.

As a fellow engineer, I'm sure if you took a step back and looked at the fact that you yourself guesstimated a 3% failure rate across the board for these converters (especially since there is no way to quantify the maint records for these converters) than you really can't justify saying the product is garbage. Being trained as an engineer you should be fully aware of all the variables to take into account and how unfounded this whole thing sounds to another engineer when you claim that the product is sub par.

How many cars have bearings or sensors that go bad out of a million? How many cars have recalls? At 3% that would be 30,000 failures out of a million, would you then consider that part to be garbage even though it was reliable on 970,000 other vehicles? SO does that mean that the model line isn't any good because 3% experienced problems?

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match over this as everyone has their own opinions but I think trying to give PI a bad rep based on the info given is a little much. I don't have any ties to PI but as I said before I don't think in this circumstance it's justified to tell people not to buy there product because it only lasted you 50k miles, which would probably be what? Almost 4 years of daily driving with a little bit of hard driving sprinkled in?

Last edited by macd7919; 03-04-10 at 12:26 PM.