Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake runner length....technical question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 11:05 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too thought that would be a potential issue but I havent actually witnessed it happening. I used one of those snake cams to view the interior of the pipe while the test system was running and not once did condensation form.

Trust me....I have my eye on it. I've considered programming the controller to account for humidity and temp differences in real time to reduce the chance of condensation buildup but for now its non issue and would add complexity that doesnt seem necessary.

Plus...to tell you the truth, I dont know if it would actually cause any real problems having it injest a drop of water or two every now and then. People have used a water injection system for decades. I think it first started with the army supplied jeeps back in the 50's and 60's? I'm not too sure on that.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 03-18-10 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-23-10, 10:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Water injection dates to Harry Ricardo's work in the 1940's on aircraft engines. Condensation isn't really a problem unless the water goes solid and forms ice. Ice tends to make throttle butterflies stick which is why you have coolant running through the throttlebody - there's a huge temperature drop inside the throttlebody at part throttle because the pressure differential is so great. The OEMs all worry about this causing icing, so they run hot coolant to ensure no ice forms.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-23-10 at 11:20 PM.