Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

**My visit to Powerhouse Racing and My Turbo IS300**

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-02, 01:57 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **My visit to Powerhouse Racing and My Turbo IS300**

Well, this has been along time coming, but it appears that I can talk and offer a lot of information regarding Powerhouse Racing's turbo setup.

Friday, I drove to Texas to drop off my IS300 at Powerhouse Racing's new facility near Fort Worth. One of the reasons they have been difficult to speak with has to do with their recent move. Well the move is nearly complete with just a few things to be finished off.

My car is now with Jarrett at PHR. He will have the car until July 12, 2002. This is actually quite common for PHR since a 6-8 week time frame is common for the cars they work on. They do not turn out cars unless Jarrett is completely satisfied. This brings a lot of comfort to me since I am spending a few bucks with him.

For the unbelievers and doubters of Powerhouse Racing, I drove back to the airport with Jarrett in his 415 rwhp IS300. We drove at 6 psi which produces about 330 rwhp and I was simply floored. We were in downtown Dallas and he shifted into 3rd gear and broke the tires completely loose. I was amazed that the car did this in 3rd gear!!! The boost was almost instantaneous, and full boost by 3000 rpm. The RPMs spooled amazingly fast. I was just in awe. The car was quiet while cruising at 80 mph. Then when he got on the car it just came alive. This is how our car should sound. The BOV was screaming between shifts and my back was glued to the back of the seat. Just amazing. It was as smooth as butter when idling and a monster when he got on it.

Lexus_IS300 (John) and I are organizing a meet in Dallas or the surrounding area to debut the car. At this meet, my PHR turbo car and PHR's turbo IS will be there. Jarrett will be at the meet, so you will have an opportunity to visit with him and ask questions. He is a very cool guy and really loves what he does. I encourage anyone interested in any turbo to come to the meet, especially those interested in PHR's turbo cars. If you are anywhere close, make sure you come to the meet. It is going to be amazing. If anyone has can help to organize this meet, I would really appreciate any info.

I will be releasing the details of the turbo here very soon with dyno sheets.
Old 06-01-02, 02:05 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an automatic or 5 speed car??
Congrats on the turbo!!
Old 06-01-02, 02:13 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

I am 5 speed and will likely be upgrading the clutch and going with the shoft shifter.

Just a piece of info on the PHR short shifter. I am not sure who said it is loud, but they are on crack. You do hear some noise, but you can't hear it if the radio is on. The other thing - this short throw illiminates the rubber piece that causes the shift to be squishy. That is why it is a hair louder, but that also means the shifts are CRISP and click into place. Keep this in mind when choosing a short shifter. I do not believe the other short shifters on the market will click into gear because the keep the rubber piece on the shifter. I don't know about you guys, I like the idea of the shifter clicking into each gear and being crisp.
Old 06-01-02, 02:21 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much hp are you going for???
Old 06-01-02, 02:30 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Richie, we will be pushing 400-450 rwhp on stock compression. The goal is to continue to produce full boost by 3000 rpms or so.
Old 06-01-02, 02:43 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Sure, (817) 529-4800 or (817) 439-0881. You can look at their website too at www.powerhouseracing.com
Old 06-01-02, 03:42 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

so you will be runnin how much boost to get 450 rwhp and i am assuming you are makin that much power on Pump gas correct??
Old 06-01-02, 03:58 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Fairuza, first that is on pump gas I believe, but I will ask. We also know we can get 415-420 at 10 psi since Jarrett has that on his car now. Now, we are aiming for that on my car as well, but we are going to try to push it a bit farther. My car will not be the monster yours is, but I know I will be glad to be in the "boost" club.

Honestly, his car shifts perfectly and shows no wear from the 400+ rwhp. I still think it is bogus that the trannies will break as quickly as some people say.

How is your car? Did you get it back from TBKO yet? What hp are you expecting? Maybe at one of the shows this year we can check out each other's rides.

Last edited by Turbo'd_Wxman; 06-01-02 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-01-02, 07:37 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

I am assuming that you are on Manual not Auto? also... it does not worry you runnin on stock compression... and running it hard all the time like that? just wondering... as far as my car goes.. well it is gettin there...

no shift kit if it is auto..just lookin for more info that is all.... good luck with it and congrats on being the First PHR TURBO IS300 on our boards...!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-02, 11:47 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Fairuza, we are not sure what we will be running as daily driving yet. Honestly, I will have more info here over the next few weeks and I will post it as it becomes available.

Thanks for the congrats.
Old 06-05-02, 07:48 PM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

When is the next GTG in Dallas?
Old 06-05-02, 08:49 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

dood eveyone is getin boost now.... the novelty is not wearing off tho..... just makes me want to push the envelope harder
Old 06-06-02, 04:24 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Cool!!

im in dallas too!!

you think they can do something with a GS300?? same engine as you guys right... 2jz-ge

how much are you paying for the setup BTW if you dont mind me asking....

oh and Pm TXSTYLE to setup the Dallas meet... he's pretty good @ it (for the GS owners offcourse) mayb we'll have a great big meet this time... last may 4th meet was just plain Awsome...

heh heh if we setup the meet

some dallas boys can show up..

Chris's IS
BMW 330ci dinan3
new M3
bmw 328 modded
SS
Audi TT

Chris... you on this board man??? we gotta go to this one.. tis gonna be PHAT

Last edited by CamRen; 06-06-02 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-07-02, 11:33 AM
CamryTuner
Rookie

Originally posted by Turbo'd_Wxman
Richie, we will be pushing 400-450 rwhp on stock compression. The goal is to continue to produce full boost by 3000 rpms or so.
Quick quesiton, I am aware that you're on a stock manual 2jz-ge tranny but do you have any idea how much a stock automatic 2jz-ge tranny can hold with out modifications? My friend is planning to buy an IS300 but wants to make sure that the trannys can hold power. Thanks.
Old 06-08-02, 08:38 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

well the IS300 tranny auto can hold with some small mods on turbo'd cars in the 500 rwhp range...

Quick Reply: **My visit to Powerhouse Racing and My Turbo IS300**