Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

01 GS300 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 07:26 PM
njs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey GSF, I'm using a GT35R.. But u should let some of these expert builders answer your question.. Cause I'm a keyboard warrior lol.. Gsf.. Like I said your in LA im in SD if u every wanted to come down and check out the swap when it's done, your more then welcome to.. Take care..
Old 03-21-10, 09:23 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dregus619
yeah thats what i said. sorry my spelling isnt all that great. but i was working on cars instead of paying attention in class. i dont spend all my time in a office chad aka macd and jeff doesnt know more then me. and he wasnt giving me any advice. you and him are so damn vague with what you guys say. never give specs you do know that the engine comes with more then one auto trans. i argue my point cuz you dont answer my question. thats like someone telling me they have proof they saw god. show me what you know. the pics show nothing on what trans your running. long story short you didnt say what model doesnt hold 850whp but by now you probably asked some one. so its irrelevant now. from the threads you havent proved me wrong...neither did jeff. so what is your point? twisting words your twisting the whole topic. your nothing but a magazine mechanic. all you can say is i cant spell blah blah blah.....i may not have good spelling or punctuation. but i know what i am doing when im building my cars.

ps go keyboard warrior!!!!!
I must apologize that I paid attention in school so I could get my bachelors in mechanical engineering, the same way Jeff realized that a degree in electrical engineering would allow him to pursue interests in other areas of his life such as cars. I will NEVER be ashamed of putting the work in to get my degree and I doubt he is either. You missed the point I was making however, the point of using proper punctuation and grammar is that people can then take you for someone who is "credible" instead of appearing like some punk kid spouting off about something they have no clue about. If you think it's cool to not pay attention in school as you implied in your above post, that's fine, that's your life, but don't project your life choices on the rest of us.

Secondly, we aren't vague, you just excel at demonstrating your own ignorance. You go for "credibility' and then prove how little your know with you arguments. FYI, Jeff knows more about THIS APPLICATION than you ever will as do many other people on this forum, I just happen to be the one who responded to your ill founded claims. Stop making yourself look like a fool and spend some time doing some research instead of wasting everyone's time here. No one is here to make enemies or make you feel bad but don't confuse that with people who know better just letting bad information fly when they see it. The point of this forum is for people to learn from other peoples experience and not learn the hard way or from bad information.

Anyways, on to the original topic. I would stay away from the majority of the Greddy turbo's, they use an old profile on the wheel and a very large exhaust housing, while they do make big power on the top end they tend to be very laggy and not really a "street" turbo. If you are going with a higher stall you can get away with running a relatively large turbo on the street but if you want to stick with a stock stall and are going for reliable power a Pt67 (Precision turbo) would make a nice choice for you. I stepped down from a 70mm on my car to the Pt67 and I did lose a little bit on the top but it's much more fun driving around town (when I'm not in my office chair as Dregus suggests, lol). In general the smaller turbo's will give you quicker throttle response but not quite as much of a pull on the top end. It really depends on what kind of driving you do, are you more into stop light to stop light, hitting some back roads, high way runs or drag racing, all those things would have a somewhat different application.

Last edited by macd7919; 03-21-10 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 10:19 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by njs
On the stock 2jz gte egine, the tranny can hold up to 850 HP..
this is if you build them with lots of HP parts. It will not hold this amount of power stock I can assure you. I've built the A341e tranny many many times. But most of the people who have an 2gs have a 5 speed A650e which is different from what is found on the gte motor which is the A341e.
Old 03-21-10, 10:31 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
this is if you build them with lots of HP parts. It will not hold this amount of power stock I can assure you. I've built the A341e tranny many many times. But most of the people who have an 2gs have a 5 speed A650e which is different from what is found on the gte motor which is the A341e.
I've been trying to tell em' man, lol.

The gte trans will hold about 500whp stock, reliably for the most part. The 650 is much weaker and shouldn't be pushed passed about 350 if you want it to last. The gte trans is strong in it's own right but as I've been saying this whole time, it's not going to hold 850whp.

Last edited by macd7919; 03-21-10 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 10:44 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not here to back up anyone, but there has been many times that Mac has proven himself as a knowledgeable person that speaks from experience and I value his insight. But since you claim to be a "TRD mechanic" you must have quite alot of knowledge on toyota engines and transmission. I would first like to address the capabilities of the "GTE" transmission with you. Could you first tell me what is different btw. the TT MKIV supra and Aristo output shaft? Secondly, could you tell me what the proper forward clutch flange(i.e. the flange plate number) and clearance are? Next, when building a brand new toyota GTE block that has never been bored out, what is the proper bearing clearance using a plasti guage or feeler gauge? Until you can give me the correct info to these questions, you credibility on this forum needs to be proven. Again, I'm not here to argue with you about the "GTE" transmission holding power, but it sure ain't gonna hold 850whp stock. I've sure gotten that transmission down pat now since I've probably went through a few dozen cores to get to where it is now. Feel free to call up Titan motorsport and ask them who there magic fairy is that are building all of their race built A341e.
yeah thats what i said. sorry my spelling isnt all that great. but i was working on cars instead of paying attention in class. i dont spend all my time in a office chad aka macd and jeff doesnt know more then me. and he wasnt giving me any advice. you and him are so damn vague with what you guys say. never give specs you do know that the engine comes with more then one auto trans. i argue my point cuz you dont answer my question. thats like someone telling me they have proof they saw god. show me what you know. the pics show nothing on what trans your running. long story short you didnt say what model doesnt hold 850whp but by now you probably asked some one. so its irrelevant now. from the threads you havent proved me wrong...neither did jeff. so what is your point? twisting words your twisting the whole topic. your nothing but a magazine mechanic. all you can say is i cant spell blah blah blah.....i may not have good spelling or punctuation. but i know what i am doing when im building my cars.

ps go keyboard warrior!!!!!
Old 03-21-10, 10:51 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919
I've been trying to tell em' man, lol.

The gte trans will hold about 500whp stock, reliably for the most part. The 650 is much weaker and shouldn't be pushed passed about 350 if you want it to last. The gte trans is strong in it's own right but as I've been saying this whole time, it's not going to hold 850whp.
I just can't believe I just typed the above response all on all cell phone. I'm on my way back now from Supra Nationals and deal tired. I know for a fact that jeff blew up his A650e due to the weak overdrive sprag. One of the main reason's why I don't comment on alot of the newer post these days is that they are full of false info. These new so called "expert/master tech" know what we've been testing for years now. Like you said in one of your response... Been there done that.. I can promise you that very few folks on this board will even know where to get custom bands and custom flanges to build their transmissions let alone know the power ratings the transmission will hold because they've never tested at that level before.
Old 03-21-10, 10:55 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

I'm not here to back up anyone, but there has been many times that Mac has proven himself as a knowledgeable person that speaks from experience and I value his insight. But since you claim to be a "TRD mechanic" you must have quite alot of knowledge on toyota engines and transmission. I would first like to address the capabilities of the "GTE" transmission with you. Could you first tell me what is different btw. the TT MKIV supra and Aristo output shaft? Secondly, could you tell me what the proper forward clutch flange(i.e. the flange plate number) and clearance are? Next, when building a brand new toyota GTE block that has never been bored out, what is the proper bearing clearance using a plasti guage or feeler gauge? Until you can give me the correct info to these questions, you credibility on this forum needs to be proven. Again, I'm not here to argue with you about the "GTE" transmission holding power, but it sure ain't gonna hold 850whp stock. I've sure gotten that transmission down pat now since I've probably went through a few dozen cores to get to where it is now. Feel free to call up Titan motorsport and ask them who there magic fairy is that are building all of their race built A341e.
Thanks for the kind words man, even though I know we have butt heads a couple times before, it's all in good fun lol.... I thought I was going hard on em but you gave it the berries, lol...

I just can't believe I just typed the above response all on all cell phone. I'm on my way back now from Supra Nationals and deal tired. I know for a fact that jeff blew up his A650e due to the weak overdrive sprag. One of the main reason's why I don't comment on alot of the newer post these days is that they are full of false info. These new so called "expert/master tech" know what we've been testing for years now. Like you said in one of your response... Been there done that.. I can promise you that very few folks on this board will even know where to get custom bands and custom flanges to build their transmissions let alone know the power ratings the transmission will hold because they've never tested at that level before.
The funny part is when someone makes a huge claim, such as a stock trans holding 850whp, and you say something about it all of a sudden you are a know nothing because suddenly after being in production for 15+ years they magically now hold double the horsepower. No one told me trannies build hp holding capabilities with age, maybe 15 years is the sweet year for maximum power holding? Lol.....

Last edited by macd7919; 03-21-10 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 11:11 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the kind words man, even though I know we have butt heads a couple times before, it's all in good fun lol.... I thought I was going hard on em but you gave it the berries, lol...
haha.. I know that we've had our differences in opinions on some matters. But I'm the type that will admit that if I don't know somethings, I won't play it off being a smart ***. I'm always open to learning new things.. And you know what's funny... My college degree wasn't even anything related to engineering!!! I have a finance/management degree.. Everything that I've ever learned related to cars is by friends.. I'm fortunate to have meet some of the best engine builders that built engines for Nascar teams and Cosworth.

The funny part is when someone makes a huge claim, such as a stock trans holding 850whp, and you say something about it all of a sudden you are a know nothing because all of a sudden after being in production for 15+ years they magically now hold double the horsepower. No one told me trannies build hp holding capabilities with age, maybe 15 years is the sweet year for maximum power holding? Lol.....
Someone should've told me this two years ago when my supra was 15 years old and I started pushing big power and blowing them tranny's left and right.. I learned the hard way by building and testing numerous transmissions because no one would give me any insight on how to make them stronger.
Old 03-21-10, 11:19 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by njs
Hey GSF, I'm using a GT35R.. But u should let some of these expert builders answer your question.. Cause I'm a keyboard warrior lol.. Gsf.. Like I said your in LA im in SD if u every wanted to come down and check out the swap when it's done, your more then welcome to.. Take care..

Sounds good to me NJs, let me know when your build is done and I'll come down for the weekend or something...you guys have meets down there? maybe I'll come to that too.
Old 03-22-10, 01:23 AM
Dregus619
Driver School Candidate

macd and alexus are tards lmao!!!!! talking all big and bad on the east coast lol....asking me basic things when rebuilding an engine.....thats like saying how do you torque down a head on a gte....lol.....i love this....you guys get your panies all in a bunch....alexus if you dont like responding to these post why did you? im a little kid lmfao!!!!! you wish i was lol...so you have a bachelors in mechanical engineering, so.....trying to pass judgement on me lol. its ok im not mad.....but me and all my friends sure had a great laugh about all this. yep we are all on here and dont know anything lol. what to do? what to do? while you are reading this can you spell check and correct my grammer lol. remember im little kid who thinks he knows things and a keyboard warrior lmao! dont forget 2 other trans came with the motor. and im not disagreeing with the 650 trans will blow up. or that the 341e can hold more power then the 650E now when you guys get on my level and realize that these aint the only trans that came or that you can put on the engines. then talk to me. as for your basic question to see what i know lol....well i dont care lol....if you guys want to keep on ripping people off on here go ahead. its not hurting my pockets....lol....but to all you people that want to do the build its best that you do your research some were else besides forums....lol....and dont go off and say i dont know....becasuse i didnt answer you lame questions. i got some for you whats the stock compression on a gte. and what other manual trans is good to run if you cant afford the v160? simply knowledge questions, sense you wanted to ask me....lol....thanks for the laughs
Old 03-22-10, 02:09 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Your not worth a response. The OP got the information he needs and can read through each posting to decide what he wants to do, I'm sure he has heard all he needs to from myself and Alexus who have been doing this forever as well as yourself, a "TRD master mechanic". Have a nice life.

Last edited by macd7919; 03-22-10 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 06:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

...but to all you people that want to do the build its best that you do your research some were else besides forums....lol

Why look elsewhere? Do you realize how many people on here has their some sort of force induction on their 2GS? Most of them don't post anymore, but there are lots of good information dating back 5+ years.
Old 03-22-10, 07:19 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm on my way back now from Supra Nationals and deal tired. I know for a fact that jeff blew up his A650e due to the weak overdrive sprag.
Dude, you were at TX2k10? I thought I was the only guy from CL there haha. I was only there for dyno day, then it got rained out on Sat, and I didn't goto the Sunday event. I made 585rwhp at 25psi, apparently the dyno was reading low that day. My friend that made 800whp in Dallas was only putting down 700whp in Houston.

As for the sprag, I think I might of gotten a fluke or something. I had a new set of sprags custom built to my specs(couldn't find anything off the shelf for this damn trans lol), and I think the one that exploded was defective or something. The sets that I used in my car were still the prototypes. The second sprag I put in has held up well so far and lasted through the abuse from Dallas to Houston(plus some runs) and back.
Old 03-22-10, 08:54 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

macd and alexus are tards lmao!!!!! talking all big and bad on the east coast lol....asking me basic things when rebuilding an engine.....thats like saying how do you torque down a head on a gte....lol.....i love this....you guys get your panies all in a bunch....alexus if you dont like responding to these post why did you? im a little kid lmfao!!!!! you wish i was lol...so you have a bachelors in mechanical engineering, so.....trying to pass judgement on me lol. its ok im not mad.....but me and all my friends sure had a great laugh about all this. yep we are all on here and dont know anything lol. what to do? what to do? while you are reading this can you spell check and correct my grammer lol. remember im little kid who thinks he knows things and a keyboard warrior lmao! dont forget 2 other trans came with the motor. and im not disagreeing with the 650 trans will blow up. or that the 341e can hold more power then the 650E now when you guys get on my level and realize that these aint the only trans that came or that you can put on the engines. then talk to me. as for your basic question to see what i know lol....well i dont care lol....if you guys want to keep on ripping people off on here go ahead. its not hurting my pockets....lol....but to all you people that want to do the build its best that you do your research some were else besides forums....lol....and dont go off and say i dont know....becasuse i didnt answer you lame questions. i got some for you whats the stock compression on a gte. and what other manual trans is good to run if you cant afford the v160? simply knowledge questions, sense you wanted to ask me....lol....thanks for the laughs
With 15 post, and most of them are back and forth with mcad, he was trying to help you out more than he was bashing you. Once you started to talk ****, he had no choice but to call you out when you ask such stupid questions. Do your research, then come here with your thoughts and theories. No TRD mechanic would be on here pretending they are a little kid, or use grammar like that. I mean you don't even use one capital letter, who I would hope to be a TRD mechanic, as regular Toyota/Lexus tech's aren't TRD techs. How about you find out your own specifications, you think people are going to do your homework for you? Lame *** dude, trying to call people out who have been on the forums for years and contributing, and your on for like 10 mins. As Alexus mentioned, you couldn't even give the most basic of the engine building tips as well as the easiest part of the swap, the difference of the drive shafts and pinion flanges. Without answer, you ask about what transmissions bolt up if you can't afford the V160/1 there are only like 5 transmission that will bolt up, then running them with the ECU is different. As far as Manual you have the 3 Toyota choices, automatics, I believe there are 2. I have never done the swap, but I have been around it, I can even tell you most of these things, and I'm not even doing the swap. Get off your high horse are start doing your research to figuring out why the forums are important to us. We don't care if you have a GTE or not, but I am a part of this community, and it doesn't help for you to lie about pretty much everything you've said. You give us Toyota techs a bad name, if you actually are one. Get a Volkswagen and waste other people's time.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 03-22-10 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 02:16 PM
Dregus619
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
With 15 post, and most of them are back and forth with mcad, he was trying to help you out more than he was bashing you. Once you started to talk ****, he had no choice but to call you out when you ask such stupid questions. Do your research, then come here with your thoughts and theories. No TRD mechanic would be on here pretending they are a little kid, or use grammar like that. I mean you don't even use one capital letter, who I would hope to be a TRD mechanic, as regular Toyota/Lexus tech's aren't TRD techs. How about you find out your own specifications, you think people are going to do your homework for you? Lame *** dude, trying to call people out who have been on the forums for years and contributing, and your on for like 10 mins. As Alexus mentioned, you couldn't even give the most basic of the engine building tips as well as the easiest part of the swap, the difference of the drive shafts and pinion flanges. Without answer, you ask about what transmissions bolt up if you can't afford the V160/1 there are only like 5 transmission that will bolt up, then running them with the ECU is different. As far as Manual you have the 3 Toyota choices, automatics, I believe there are 2. I have never done the swap, but I have been around it, I can even tell you most of these things, and I'm not even doing the swap. Get off your high horse are start doing your research to figuring out why the forums are important to us. We don't care if you have a GTE or not, but I am a part of this community, and it doesn't help for you to lie about pretty much everything you've said. You give us Toyota techs a bad name, if you actually are one. Get a Volkswagen and waste other people's time.

Standard oil clearance:0.023 – 0.041 mm (0.0009 – 0.0016 in.) U/S 0.25 0.028 – 0.066 mm (0.0011 – 0.0026 in.) Maximum oil clearance.STD 0.07 mm (0.0027 in.)U/S 0.25 0.08 mm (0.0031 in.) thats for the connecting rod. hell while we are at it lets see what else you can learn in class.....Valve clearance (Cold): Intake 0.15 – 0.25 mm (0.006 – 0.010 in.) Exhaust 0.25 – 0.35 mm (0.010 – 0.014 in.) as for the output shafts one is bigger then the other. wait lets get a little more technical with the engine when puting in a new timeing belt what marks you go off of for TDC the dots or the lines. i know the lines. lets give a little more info. this should help all. when installing the main bearing bolts whats the torque spec? answer 33 ft·lbf but the main bearing cap bolts are tightened in 2 progressive steps. can you tell me what that is? what tool do you use to see if you need to replace the connecting rod bolts? answer vernier calipers now if the diameter is less than minimum, replace the connecting rod bolt. Minimum diameter: 8.0 mm. i can do this all day. dont come on here and tell me i dont know what i am talking about. my spelling and grammer has nothing to do with what i know. i have no need to exchange brain pans with people who think the know everything. just because you have done the swap. doesnt mean that it was done right. i dont use caps??? are you kidding me? is that all you people can come up with? that my grammer sucks? wow......And apparently you don’t understand sarcasm when I said im a little kid that’s a keyboard warrior. As for choice on trans…you believe??? You should have just kept your mouth shut about it. Speak on what you know not what you believe. Believing doesn’t make you a tech either. No your right the forums are important, they do help people. Only if you can tell the defferance between the BS and the real techs.

Last edited by Dregus619; 03-22-10 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 01 GS300 Turbo