Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 04:31 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Header install

Hi everyone,
well, I have a set of bolt-on ppe headers on order along with their full cat back exhaust. Set to be delivered in april.

Was just wondering how difficult the header installation will be. Do I need a lift, or can I just use 4 jackstands? Should I just get a shop to install it for me?

Thanks
Old 03-19-10, 04:49 PM
drksyde
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you a hands on type of guy who likes to do everything himself? if you like working with your hands and have time... jackstands will just be fine...
But if you have no idea what you are doing, a shop is always better (saves time and headaches). I think the 02 sensors are always the most pain in the butt to remove sometimes.
Old 03-19-10, 05:14 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have the tool to remove the O2 just cut off the shield around it. The headers are easy to install and it does require you to remove the steering rack for temporary. Nothing to worry about it's straight forward. That's if you have a knack for doing this kind of work.
Old 03-20-10, 04:42 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Post a DIY!! That'll save me some headache when I get to install mine.
Old 03-21-10, 05:08 PM
ONEdirty23
Pole Position

Yes please, someone post up a DIY. This is the only thing stopping me from ordering this myself. Been debating about trying to tackle this myself, or searching for a shop to do this for me, but I would imagine this would be labor intensive so lots of $$$ to install.
Old 03-22-10, 06:44 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

I've done the Mazzuri headers on my AWD. I had a DIY over on MY.IS but it got blown away with the threads were removed. Below are some quick thoughts.

Use WD-40 and buy the O2 socket, don't be a douche. (Sorry iSuxeL )
Get new collector gaskets but you don't really need new header gaskets.
Buy new header bolts. You don't need them but it is nice to have some around incase one gets lost.
Have a good assortment of swivel sockets around.
I removed the intake, battery and power steering ECU on the passenger side so I could torque the bolts correctly.
I didn’t have to undo the steering link for the Mazzuri headers. If it’s any consolation, I had to remove the front drive shaft for AWD.

I'm by no means a professional but I recall that it took me about 9hrs working alone.

Just let me know if you need any OEM torque specifications etc....

Good luck

Last edited by Gaugster; 03-22-10 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 07:50 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

It's impossible to tq them down to specs. There's absolutely no room. And the only reason I cut the shield was because the O2 socket didn't fit and I didn't have time to wait for it
Old 03-22-10, 08:41 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
It's impossible to tq them down to specs. There's absolutely no room. And the only reason I cut the shield was because the O2 socket didn't fit and I didn't have time to wait for it
I was able to get a torque wrench on about half of the bolt near the head. Hence my note about the swivel sockets. Mostly the top side ones IIRC, it was 35,000 miles ago. The lower flange is easy to torque to spec' too. The A/F sensors were installed and torqued with the header off the car.

This adds more time but gives me some piece of mine. Beside, I don't know my own strenght and tend to break, shear, pierce stuff otherwise.

The PPE header might be bigger and indeed have less space. IDK?
Old 03-22-10, 09:47 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
.......And the only reason I cut the shield was because the O2 socket didn't fit and I didn't have time to wait for it
^^ Cutting the heat-sink is NOT recommended for a proper O2 sensor removal in the Front-Mid Pipe

Although I understand, you were in a rush..

Joe Z

Old 06-14-10, 02:59 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys,
So im currently installing the headers. question: The bolt protruding from the nut is preventing me from using a normal socket wrench, I used a half inch drive extra long socket for the passenger side but the driver side is much tighter. I got five nuts off the passenger side header from the engine bay, but I cant seem to get to any of the nuts on the driver side header. are the driver side nuts easier to access from below? How did you guys get them off??

THANKS!
Old 06-17-10, 02:04 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Cutting the heat-sink is NOT recommended for a proper O2 sensor removal in the Front-Mid Pipe

Although I understand, you were in a rush..

Joe Z

Yeah I know but oh well I don't really mind.