Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 04:00 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation Tranny

Quick question, I always drive with the pwr button on and in M,
but my question to you guys is..
I use the 3,2,L gears all the time to shift up and down.
When I have a red light I don't really brake just down shift from M to 3 then 2.
Then when I start driving I start from L,2,3, then M.
Will this mess up my transmission down the line?
Old 03-22-10, 07:42 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Does anyone know if the way I drive is fine?
Old 03-22-10, 10:52 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope, it's perfectly fine, won't damage anything. It's actually good practice to use engine braking (what your doing) when slowing as it saves your brake pads. If you want to do some preventative maintenance you could add a transmission cooler. They are generally cheap, under $100 and easy to install, probably also $100 or less for the install and it will be one less thing to buy when you slap that turbo on there.

Here is basically what your looking for:

Oil Coolers

You can find them on eBay, Summit Racing etc....

Here is an example of something that would work from eBay

Trans Cooler

You could probably go bigger, this is just an example.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (10-20-22)
Old 03-22-10, 11:52 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Originally Posted by macd7919
Nope, it's perfectly fine, won't damage anything. It's actually good practice to use engine braking (what your doing) when slowing as it saves your brake pads. If you want to do some preventative maintenance you could add a transmission cooler. They are generally cheap, under $100 and easy to install, probably also $100 or less for the install and it will be one less thing to buy when you slap that turbo on there.

Oil Coolers

Trans Cooler

Once again great advice! Thanks a mill.
Old 03-23-10, 09:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919

Oil Coolers

Trans Cooler

since i joined the club i been meaning to do this...

sigh another thing on my list to do soon............thanks for stirring this back up OP
Old 03-23-10, 12:43 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't use an automatic to down shift when coming down from speed, but that is just me. I am not one to really TELL other people what to do, but the number one thing to take out an auto tranny is heat, so like macd mentioned, you should look at getting a nice sized tranny cooler. That being said, with a manual, I back it down every time when I'm coming off the freeway, just not in my 430. Again, I don't think your really hurting anything, however my thoughts are that it will wear out your transmission faster than if you weren't to downshift every time, and to prolong the life of the tranny, get a cooler. I would just stay away from dropping it into L everytime, I would wait until a stop or <5mph, then I would shift to L.
Old 03-23-10, 01:29 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't use an automatic to down shift when coming down from speed, but that is just me. I am not one to really TELL other people what to do, but the number one thing to take out an auto tranny is heat, so like macd mentioned, you should look at getting a nice sized tranny cooler. That being said, with a manual, I back it down every time when I'm coming off the freeway, just not in my 430. Again, I don't think your really hurting anything, however my thoughts are that it will wear out your transmission faster than if you weren't to downshift every time, and to prolong the life of the tranny, get a cooler. I would just stay away from dropping it into L everytime, I would wait until a stop or <5mph, then I would shift to L.
Thanks for your two cents, but I never drop it into L unless I am fully stopped.
I know that much not to drop it into L going 15 or even 5mph.