Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

anybody wonder what happened to the SC kit for 2is?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 12:04 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha funny first link projectdna.

i am just wondering if the "Man" Sized intercooler increased HP or helped and he is running 7LB of boost not the regular 4.5LB boost, so he should be getting more HP out of the SC kit. if anybody even bothered reading through the link i posted earlier.

Last edited by someboy; 03-31-10 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 12:27 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by someboy
haha funny first link projectdna.
you'd think i was being funny...

i am just wondering if the "Man" Sized intercooler increased HP or helped and he is running 7LB of boost not the regular 4.5LB boost, so he should be getting more HP out of the SC kit. if anybody even bothered reading through the link i posted earlier.
here's another funny link for you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=intercooler+size%2C+increase+boost

on the very top, you'll find this:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...nter/faqs.html

somewhere in there, you'll find a bit of technical information about boost levels and intercooler size (*ahem*control+f*keywords*ahem*).

you'll also find this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4233312AAyzJlS

certainly not authoritative, but makes for thought-provoking reading. i'm sure you can come to your own conclusion about the relationship between intercooler size and boost pressure.

--

then again, how about asking iSuxeL himself?
Old 03-31-10, 12:35 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the link, okay so bigger intercooler does not increase HP. 2nd link is about turbo? we are talking about a SC kit with intercooler here. are you trying to say higher LB boost does not increase HP?

i was actually hoping he would comment on this thread... but still waiting..

Last edited by someboy; 03-31-10 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 07:04 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

GILLEXUS - No I'm not running meth yet, but will once I get sponsored

2k2 R1 - I actually ran at the track before but traction is a HUGE problem. I did a 13.4 with ZERO traction until the end of 3rd gear and that was with 5lbs.

As for more boost not equaling more power, I don't see how that's not possible. Before the so called "man" sized intercooler I was running a solid 5lbs now I'm up to 7.5lbs actually not 7.
Old 03-31-10, 07:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL

2k2 R1 - I actually ran at the track before but traction is a HUGE problem. I did a 13.4 with ZERO traction until the end of 3rd gear and that was with 5lbs.

As for more boost not equaling more power, I don't see how that's not possible. Before the so called "man" sized intercooler I was running a solid 5lbs now I'm up to 7.5lbs actually not 7.
One of those links explains how actually... there's a pressure drop through the intercooler...

What exactly is 'pressure drop/loss' / 'flow loss' and how are they measured?
Pressure loss, or pressure drop, refers to the change in pressure when comparing the air entering the intercooler with the exiting air. This change is mostly affected by the internal flow area of the intercooler. Flow loss, however, is measured not just with pressure loss but with how much restriction to airflow exists.
Maximum performance can be obtained if the pressure loss is kept below 1.0 to 1.5 psi. Anything in excess of these numbers, especially higher than 3.8 psi, and the intercooler is not properly fitted for the application which results in hindered performance and dramatically decreased functionality of the intercooler system itself.
It goes on to mention
The pressure drop contributed by the intercooler is proportional to it's flow (CFM) squared.
So if you originally run 5 psi with an intercooler that has a 1 psi pressure drop loss then switch to some insanely large intercooler that causes a 4 psi loss, but turn the boost up to 7 (err, swap a 7 psi pulley since it's an SC not a "turn it up" TC), you'd actually make less power.

Not saying that's the case here, I've not seen any dyno sheets of yours either before, during, or after any of your changes, just saying it's possible.
Old 03-31-10, 09:10 PM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What tires did you use? and size? What about the conditions?
Old 04-01-10, 02:53 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Kurtz - I didn't change anything but the intercooler. So it's not like I turned up the boost. I put the intercooler on and then the boost went up. Driving the car feels MUCH better than it used to, a lot more tq! I know I'm using the "butt" dyno but my *** can't be that off LOL we'll see once I dyno again.

IS25Heaven - I was using bald T1Rs and the weather I don't remember, only thing I remember was it being hella humid. And like I said traction was TERRIBLE. Please keep in mind I'm on air, so the car is already not set up for drag.

Here's an old *** video when my belt was slipping at 5lbs. So there's definitely power there believe me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAn1nCR76_c
Old 04-01-10, 03:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Where are you measuring pressure?
Old 04-01-10, 09:24 PM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

iSuxel nice vid. The previous one that i had seen of your car was the one vs the 335 with the JB3, where the dude says " 2 fast 2 furious". LOL

get a dyno ASAP!~~
Old 04-02-10, 11:13 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I know the 250 kit will not be produced. Not sure about the 350. I'm dying for a supercharger I should have gotten a 350.
Old 04-02-10, 11:57 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS25Heaven
iSuxeL nice vid. The previous one that i had seen of your car was the one vs the 335 with the JB3, where the dude says " 2 fast 2 furious". LOL

get a dyno ASAP!~~
Yeah that 335i was pushing well over 500hp from my estimate, maybe even more.
Old 04-02-10, 01:04 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kurtz - I didn't change anything but the intercooler. So it's not like I turned up the boost. I put the intercooler on and then the boost went up. Driving the car feels MUCH better than it used to, a lot more tq! I know I'm using the "butt" dyno but my *** can't be that off LOL we'll see once I dyno again.
Hmmm, from what I know, there is a few possibilities.

1 - The new IC is much more efficient and lets the air flow better. Do you recall is the shape was much different? What about the inlet and outlet? Is it deeper etc...

2 - The new IC does not reduce the air charge temperature as much as the old IC. Higher temps mean higher pressure but less density. This could be a concern wrt to detonation etc... Typically, this would not equate with more HP/TQ but anything is possible.

3 - The old IC had an air leak. It is generally know that aluminum castings can be porous to air molecules. However this would only show up an higher boost levels unless the leak was very large. Did you ever have the new or old IC pressure tested?

4 - Any combination of 1, 2 or 3.

Sorry to ramble on but I am bore and still at work.