Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stock Intake + SRT Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 02:01 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Intake + SRT Chip?

Is it ok to do this?

the reason i ask is that i bought an srt intake before i started to autocross so i didnt realize that the intake puts me in the same class as people with stripped out race cars. I wouldnt run like this for long periods of time just replace the srt pipes with the stock ones for the race
Old 04-03-10, 02:30 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't do it, maybe if you were driving the car very gently to the gas station or something but sure as hell not when you are going to be ragging it out on an autocross track. Here's why:

1. Look in the instructions that came with the intake. It specifically says DO NOT use the intake/ecu without the accompanying parts, in your case the intake pipe.

2. The ecu is tuned to work with the additional airflow of the SRT intake which is much larger and more free flowing than the stock intake. Even if you could use the ecu without the rest of the intake there would be no point as the tune on it would be completely off due to the airflow of the stock intake, it would probably lose power and or run super rich/lean which could cause a whole range of problems up to fried rings/blown motor.

Here is an idea for you, if you want something that's easy to swap around. Go back and install male/female bullet connectors on the appropriate wires, that way you can just unplug the ecu, reconnect the wiring in factory manner, run your race and then swap in the SRT again and you will never have to cut a wire, simply plug and unplug connectors.
Old 04-03-10, 04:39 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by macd7919
I wouldn't do it, maybe if you were driving the car very gently to the gas station or something but sure as hell not when you are going to be ragging it out on an autocross track. Here's why:

1. Look in the instructions that came with the intake. It specifically says DO NOT use the intake/ecu without the accompanying parts, in your case the intake pipe.

2. The ecu is tuned to work with the additional airflow of the SRT intake which is much larger and more free flowing than the stock intake. Even if you could use the ecu without the rest of the intake there would be no point as the tune on it would be completely off due to the airflow of the stock intake, it would probably lose power and or run super rich/lean which could cause a whole range of problems up to fried rings/blown motor.

Here is an idea for you, if you want something that's easy to swap around. Go back and install male/female bullet connectors on the appropriate wires, that way you can just unplug the ecu, reconnect the wiring in factory manner, run your race and then swap in the SRT again and you will never have to cut a wire, simply plug and unplug connectors.
Perfect thats exactly what type of thing i am looking for thanks! but do they make 3 way bullet connectors? and am i the only guy here running autocross?
Old 04-03-10, 04:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

mac's advice is spot on - don't do it.

If you want the advantage of a fuel/air tweak then get something like an Apexi AFC2 instead.
Old 04-04-10, 01:07 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
mac's advice is spot on - don't do it.

If you want the advantage of a fuel/air tweak then get something like an Apexi AFC2 instead.
not looking for advantage of a fuel air tweak just want to be able to easily put on and remove the SRT setup so that i can run my car in the stock class for autocross
Old 04-04-10, 03:34 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They don't make a 3 way bullet connector, only male and female. What you want to do is just splice bullet connectors in for the wires on the SRT ecu that just tap in to the factory harness such as the power, ground etc... Make sure you put the female side of the connector on the oem harness side of the wires so that when it's unplugged you don't have to worry about things contacting metal/shorting out. Then, on the wire that the SRT ecu had you cut, just use a female on one side of the oem harness and a male on the other and then the appropriate female/male connector on the SRT ecu wires and you will have it all set so it literally will take you less than one minute to connect/disconnect it.

I'm not sure how strict the organization is but if they don't do a visual and or don't care, all you really need to do is just put bullet terminals on the wires you cut for the SRT ecu as you can leave the SRT ecu hooked up to power, ground etc....the only thing you need to reconnect as factory is the input/output signal to the SRT ecu.

Here is a pic of a bullet connector, you can find them at Home Depot or auto parts stores:

Last edited by macd7919; 04-04-10 at 03:40 PM.