Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dyno 4/15/10

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 02:05 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Yes. I can do it, I just remember how damn low that car sits, do you have a low clearance jack, or did you just use a regular jack? I am free next weekend, let me know and we can work something out.
Yes, I do have a low clearance jack. You got PM
Old 04-19-10, 10:10 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
I do what I can, feel free to come up to the Twin Cities anytime, a little far from Tennessee. Hopefully if/when I move to North Carolina, there will be a few members around the Charolette area..
There's at least one Justin in Charlotte already with a 430
Old 04-19-10, 01:25 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

As bad as the Gs400 stock manifolds are... the 430s are worse... Headers are an even bigger help for the 3uzfe
Old 04-19-10, 01:33 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by denut-L
UPS just dropped something off

I can't believe i have these in my hands now.

Will start taking the oem exhaust manifolds out this Sunday. Can't wait for the next dyno

I JUST now noticed...

Looks like PPE decided to weld around the outside of primary tubes and around the cat flanges. The standard welding was inside both primary and cat flanges so now they are welded on both sides. Not required IMO as the standard design has not had any failures that I am aware of. Should make no functional difference to the parts.
Old 04-19-10, 05:29 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
As bad as the Gs400 stock manifolds are... the 430s are worse... Headers are an even bigger help for the 3uzfe
I hope so, as i'm hoping for good numbers at the next dyno pull.

Well, tomorrow the headers are going on and gonna be making an appointment for other dyno tune in the next couple days.

I can't wait for the results.
Old 04-20-10, 06:36 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

^ damn man...making big moves in a short amount of time! First, Neo and harness ($500), then dyno ($200), then purchased S&S headers ($700), now install headers ($500?)...you just dropped $2K just like that in this economy...a brave man. I spreaded most of my mods over time. Good luck to you though and I am sure you will get good numbers!

After you achieve the numbers you want, I would get a high stall torque converter if I were you...it will FEEL like you added another 40-50 HP/TQ off the line.
Old 04-20-10, 11:48 AM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbrady
I JUST now noticed...

Looks like PPE decided to weld around the outside of primary tubes and around the cat flanges. The standard welding was inside both primary and cat flanges so now they are welded on both sides. Not required IMO as the standard design has not had any failures that I am aware of. Should make no functional difference to the parts.
I'm glad he did though b/c I would hate to pay to have them R/R.
Old 04-20-10, 11:52 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

just a thought OP IF u havent ever replaced your engine/tranny mounts.....while your doing headers, now might be the time to do it.
Old 04-20-10, 07:15 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
^ damn man...making big moves in a short amount of time! First, Neo and harness ($500), then dyno ($200), then purchased S&S headers ($700), now install headers ($500?)...you just dropped $2K just like that in this economy...a brave man. I spreaded most of my mods over time. Good luck to you though and I am sure you will get good numbers!

After you achieve the numbers you want, I would get a high stall torque converter if I were you...it will FEEL like you added another 40-50 HP/TQ off the line.
Not really Rock, it took me two years to come up with this stuff.
Neo i got for $250 and installed it myself
Dyno tuned twice $270
SS Headers $600
Installed $N/A until tomorrow, but not over $600
Cat-back Exhaust system w/X-pipe, Magnaflow Race mufflers $1100
Grand total = $2820
Now for that amount we'll see what kind of WHP i'll make at the next dyno tune. Personally, car feels GREAT! at wot but damn! that's alot of money for 20-30whp imo.

If i decide not to swap, then yes, high stall torque converter will be next on the list. But that is in the book for next year.
I bet every time you floor it, it must feel good with that high stall. Just wondering rock, did you ever ran yours at the track yet?

Originally Posted by sakataj
just a thought OP IF u havent ever replaced your engine/tranny mounts.....while your doing headers, now might be the time to do it.
Dude, i'm not sure if mines are ready to be changed yet. I only got 50k miles on my engine. When are these recommended to be changed?
Old 04-20-10, 09:38 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Dude, i'm not sure if mines are ready to be changed yet. I only got 50k miles on my engine. When are these recommended to be changed?
dunno....whenever they go out i guess. i just figured while u were in there it would be worth while
Old 04-21-10, 11:52 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Not really Rock, it took me two years to come up with this stuff.
Neo i got for $250 and installed it myself
Dyno tuned twice $270
SS Headers $600
Installed $N/A until tomorrow, but not over $600
Cat-back Exhaust system w/X-pipe, Magnaflow Race mufflers $1100
Grand total = $2820
Now for that amount we'll see what kind of WHP i'll make at the next dyno tune. Personally, car feels GREAT! at wot but damn! that's alot of money for 20-30whp imo.

If i decide not to swap, then yes, high stall torque converter will be next on the list. But that is in the book for next year.
I bet every time you floor it, it must feel good with that high stall. Just wondering rock, did you ever ran yours at the track yet?

I havn't brought my car to a track...I hope someday to though. The closest track is like 2 hours away and since it's my daily driver I would be SOL if I broke it 2 hours away at the track. I'm kinda scared...lol

BTW, you're right $2800 is a lot for 30-40whp increase; this is EXACTLY why I started to do other mods such as the Supra LSD and the high stall TC. As you know they don't PHYSICALLY add power to the engine (obviously) but they DO add performance and MAKE the car quicker! This helps average the money spent a little more versus performance. Just simply adding bolt-on engine components to the GS4XX won't make it drastically different. The LSD and PI TC help make it more in the direction of drastically different.

Good luck man...and to all those 2GS members that want to make an NA BEAST!

Oh, BTW as Brian mentioned just ask the shop to inspect your engine/tranny mounts. If their not broken, no need to replace. FYI, when I was getting my headers installed about a year ago at around 100K miles on the odometer - mine were fine.
Old 04-21-10, 04:54 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I havn't brought my car to a track...I hope someday to though. The closest track is like 2 hours away and since it's my daily driver I would be SOL if I broke it 2 hours away at the track. I'm kinda scared...lol

BTW, you're right $2800 is a lot for 30-40whp increase; this is EXACTLY why I started to do other mods such as the Supra LSD and the high stall TC. As you know they don't PHYSICALLY add power to the engine (obviously) but they DO add performance and MAKE the car quicker! This helps average the money spent a little more versus performance. Just simply adding bolt-on engine components to the GS4XX won't make it drastically different. The LSD and PI TC help make it more in the direction of drastically different.

Good luck man...and to all those 2GS members that want to make an NA BEAST!

Oh, BTW as Brian mentioned just ask the shop to inspect your engine/tranny mounts. If their not broken, no need to replace. FYI, when I was getting my headers installed about a year ago at around 100K miles on the odometer - mine were fine.
I'm really leaning towards the PI TC as i read in another post saying if you can knock down .5 off your 60ft, you could take about 1sec off your 1/4 mile time. Now my 60ft at the last track was 2.6 and i ran 14.6@99mph at best, brake launch at around 1800rpms w/o traction going full throttle of course, had to ease of the gas. Now lets say with a TC and slicks i should be well in the mid 13's, That's if i can get a 2.0 or better 60ft. INTERESTING! And also wouldn't be bad for a 4door luxury sedan.

Well i just got back from the shop and he's not done yet, came up with some problems as the header to engine flange bolt holes did not line up and had to drill a little to make it fit, some of the holes was too small and had to drill to make the holes bigger. Also had to custom the o2 sensor wires to reach the stock location on the driver side, replaced all nuts and bolts, found out that the shop that did my exhaust did half a job and didn't even install gaskets to the outlet of the cat and that's why i got a CEL. NOw! not just that but my axle back didn't even have gaskets and he said it was leaking for sure at both spots. Showed me the rust that started to show up on the flange from the water leaks. Now i know why i have water spots under my car every time i take the car out of the garage. Now i'm F**** pissed off and gonna be calling that shop for a refund of gaskets tomorrow and will never bring my business to them AGAIN!!!!!

I wounder if those leaks effected my overall hp/tq at all. This new shop "Devoted Auto Works" the owner is a very honest guy and showed me everything that was done and it looked great with the headers on. Picking up the car tomorrow at noon and I can't wait any longer after seeing them on the engine. EXCITED!!!lol

Checked the engine mounts and they looked fine, no cracks of any kind. Thanks for the heads up though, brian and rock

Also called Jordan at MAP and he was able to squeezed me in on friday at 11am for dyno and if needed...tune.

Can't wait

Last edited by denut-L; 04-21-10 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 07:34 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

GREAT! BTW, I absolutely HATE dealing with exhaust work. STILL TO THIS DAY, I too KNOW that I have a slight exhasut leak somewhere (I think by my Y-pipe). The shop said that the flange there is rusted to all hell; I wanted them to put a new gasket in there and they felt it was opening a can of worms...so I left it as is. The car still pulls great but I will always have it in my mind that the car COULD BE running better if the exhaust was leak-free. Oh and I too have a VERY small puddle from my Y-pipe area after the car is running for a while (parked). Not the A/C.

Looking forward to your progress...GL!
Old 04-22-10, 12:12 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Well, i went to pickup my car just now and he told me the exhaust was not sitting right because of the headers, it was leaning more to the right. I will have to readjust it again this coming monday. Also by the axle back there was a very small leak because of a weld that wasn't done right. Didn't notice that until he had put the gaskets on the exhaust system and now that it's flowing much better you can see water coming out of that hole.

As for driving, the car felt like it lost tq at low rpm's maybe because it needs tuning, I don't know. Haven't floored it yet so i'll test it out later. Exhaust sounds almost the same, not much louder.

Hey Rock, or anyone with these headers, ? for you here. Did you notice a lost in power when you had yours installed also? What about the cat-back did you have the same problem with it not sitting right?

Dyno tune tomorrow, can't wait

Last edited by denut-L; 04-22-10 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 12:18 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

how much they charge you to install the headers? i thought you and
3UZFTE were gonna do the install?

Quick Reply: Dyno 4/15/10