Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NASCAR exhaust fabricator

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 11:10 AM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes we are getting up to speed on our end to take on all questions and to make everyone happy also working on a deal to get on all boards that internet brands owns
Old 06-10-10, 11:50 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by unclej
not spintech but good guess
i should have sound clips of my car before and after in a few days
i will get the custom x pipe and mufflers out to sakataj in the next day or so and cant wait to see what results he gets
we are in the middle of putting the man in questions new website up and hope to make him available to this board as well as all the boards that internet brands own
best gains will be headers get rid of the cats to x-pipe 2.5 pipe back to mufflers
As i told sakataj if it makes sense i might be able to get him to do a set of headers but lets start with the mufflers and x-pipe
Going back to my post #13 in this thread, Boyd Butler (Dr. Gas) was who I believed to be involved here. The mufflers pictured are definitely either spintech or an evolution of the spintech muffler as seen by the shape and welding pattern in the body that support the inside structures which are spiral/circle shaped.

I would at the MINIMUM say that stating that best gains will be with 2.5" pipe is WAY premature and in fact almost certainly NOT going to hold up.

One of the early S&S header users on an early SC400 felt that going twin 2.5" into a 3" center and USED a Dr.Gas Y pipe (nearly identical performance to the Dr.Gas X pipe designs) caused a very unacceptable torque curve. I suggested going down to 2.25" and not wanting to do the job more than once more went down to a 2" into 2.5" design and was THRILLED with the torque curve and top end power. This is one of the many factors in my continued support and suggestion to use the stock Y pipe which measures 1.97" into 2.36" and has supported nearly 400rwhp on supercharged engines.

Now, this does not mean that the stock pipe cannot be improved upon, especially as power increases beyond 275rwhp and I am eager to see the results of testing of whatever design is used.

Keep in mind folks that dyno numbers are NOT the end all by ANY means on our street driven cars. With our transmissions it is very hard to get any usable torque data below 3500rpm and that is CRITICAL information for street driving.

Mustang 5 liter applications work pretty well with 2.5" pipes but remember those are FIVE liter engines... much more displacement and in cars that are much lighter and often used manual transmissions AND use much more aggressive camshaft profiles. Not a good comparison.

Again, I am glad to see someone with Boyds background focusing on these applications and I am eager to see the results... BUT... I would just strongly caution making claims prior to testing especially when these claims run counter to the testing that has already been done on these cars.
Old 06-10-10, 07:19 PM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

Default mufflers

Hey jbrady
The mufflers in the picture that i posted are a new design as it was told to me these are highly improved upon Spintech as they are a tad quieter and more efficient
This is exactly what i was hoping for was to get the best people on this board out to talk about what has worked best and thoughts of what might work better

The question that i have and it seems you would have the knowledge on this is can the cats be taken off and pipe be run whether x or y and then back to the mufflers
if so what should be done with the o2 sensors
what would be the best high flow cat to replace the stock or are the stock ones fine
i think what i have been yearning for is just flat out answers that i wont have to worry about as it is not fun to rip out or cut parts that will cost 100's to replace
with my car it just seems as if i am not getting full power from my car i have srt intake i now have these great new mufflers that i would love to put on but the burning question is

A- what to do with the cats?
a1- no cats
a2-oem cats
a3-high flow cats aftermarket (if so which ones)
B-o2 sensors
C- x-pipe
D- Y-pipe
E-pipe size

i think with good answers to these we can go back and get rid of almost every bs post about what to do with our exhausts
i just want the best performance and no check engine light!
Old 06-11-10, 11:15 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

I just want the best performance and no check engine light!
X2 but i also dont want the loudest exhaust to gain the best performance
Old 06-11-10, 11:55 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey jbrady
The mufflers in the picture that i posted are a new design as it was told to me these are highly improved upon Spintech as they are a tad quieter and more efficient
This is exactly what i was hoping for was to get the best people on this board out to talk about what has worked best and thoughts of what might work better

The question that i have and it seems you would have the knowledge on this is can the cats be taken off and pipe be run whether x or y and then back to the mufflers
if so what should be done with the o2 sensors
what would be the best high flow cat to replace the stock or are the stock ones fine
i think what i have been yearning for is just flat out answers that i wont have to worry about as it is not fun to rip out or cut parts that will cost 100's to replace
with my car it just seems as if i am not getting full power from my car i have srt intake i now have these great new mufflers that i would love to put on but the burning question is

A- what to do with the cats?
a1- no cats
a2-oem cats
a3-high flow cats aftermarket (if so which ones)
B-o2 sensors
C- x-pipe
D- Y-pipe
E-pipe size

i think with good answers to these we can go back and get rid of almost every bs post about what to do with our exhausts
i just want the best performance and no check engine light!
Simple questions often are not simple and these are like that.

I do not suggest removing the cats.
The stock 1998-2000 cats are metal substrate core and very high flow.
The 2001 cats are ceramic core and high flow although somewhat less than the 98-00.

If you choose to delete the cats you will have to create a O2 sensor signal to avoid check engine light and degraded performance not to mention emissions compliance.

My goal is maximize torque and response and pick up top end power.
Top end power with a loss elsewhere is not acceptable IMO.
This is USUALLY done with the smallest pipe size that will support peak power.

A mandrell bent pipe can outflow a larger crush bent pipe for the same shape.
The transitions (manifolds, bends, flanges, components, merges, resonators, mufflers) will all have an effect on the gas flow dynamics.

Trying to describe the correct size and shape is like explaining the shape of a camshaft lobe. Very complicated. I have stopped giving basic advice because it is much more than pipe size and part selection.

If you want to bring a new system to the market there is no substitute for R&D. I have an intended design that I have not built yet and until I do so and test it will not suggest it. Typically people will spend money, increase the sound level and often decrease total performance.

The S&S headers are proven but no longer available but may be remade by PPE Engineering in Pheonix. I am certain a better performing design could be build but at what cost and how much of an improvement? Look at a stock GS400 manifold (bad) or a stock GS430 manifold (horrible) and notice the S&S design only gains 15-20rwhp. How much more could a "perfect" design gain? Without changing camshafts and redline there is limited additional gains in the header design. Same goes for exhaust. I am unaware of any solid dyno or performance proof from changing the stock GS exhaust. When I dropped off the back half on my LS400 (worse than GS) the car was super loud but lost performance!!! Additional pipe length would be needed.

I really wish you luck in finding or designing something you like but do not expect miracles on a largely stock setup with just exhaust. My intent is S&S headers (which I have but require mods for my LS) along with SLIGHTLY improved exhaust flow. I am lukewarm to do the work required for the modest expected results especially in hot Houston summer weather.
Old 06-16-10, 07:52 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

any updates or tracking info on this?
Old 06-18-10, 08:17 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ship stuff worldwide, and I still have yet to ship somewhere and it hasn't gotten there in 8 days. He either hasn't sent them or is still waiting to send them.
Old 06-18-10, 12:15 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
I ship stuff worldwide, and I still have yet to ship somewhere and it hasn't gotten there in 8 days. He either hasn't sent them or is still waiting to send them.
i do too...

he got on yesterday and looked at this, as i happened to go to his page and saw that this was his current page being viewed but he never answered so i dunno. im not in a hurry so we'll see
Old 06-18-10, 05:15 PM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

checked it from my laptop on the road will get to usps on monday and get them out sorry guys
Old 06-25-10, 10:18 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

I got these in today from fedex....was hoping to get the x-pipe and all but when i walkted to jason the other day on the phone, it was not to be. im not gonna cut off my greddy to weld these on so im gonna have some flanges made on them and then will bolt on and dyno.....patience for me though guys. its HVAC peak season and im terribly swamped also i have a major announcement coming which is tying me up alot also
Old 06-26-10, 09:55 PM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

yeah sorry about the x-pipe when i have more time and i can get with boyd and his crew or we can get a gs out to him then he can get under and make a system from the cats back but let me know how you like the new mufflers
Old 06-28-10, 09:49 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

yeah sorry about the x-pipe when i have more time and i can get with boyd and his crew or we can get a gs out to him then he can get under and make a system from the cats back but let me know how you like the new mufflers
all good, wish they had flanges on them already so i didnt have to get some made. (again im not cutting my greddy)
Old 07-09-10, 01:43 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i will have the flanges made this coming up week i believe so i can straight bolt these on and then i will start this up....have to dyno my car as it sits then make a video with these and dyno it
Old 07-13-10, 06:20 AM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

having mine done today will have pics and video up soon
Old 07-13-10, 10:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

having mine done today will have pics and video up soon
havent forgotten bout this either....i picked up james oem exhaust saturday to get the flanges made which i did last night and i will get mine on when i come back from nashville, gotta set up dyno times also

Quick Reply: NASCAR exhaust fabricator