Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NASCAR exhaust fabricator

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 08:42 PM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am beat from all the running around today have to get the video and the pics up ... i went with an x pipe run to the back..... i had it done at one of the biggest muffler dealers down here that do flowmaster borla magnaflow all the guys in the shop came over when they heard these..... will try to get on tomorrow and post
Old 07-14-10, 04:18 PM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

i keep getting upload fail when i try to post the pics i will uipload the video to youtube later and just put the link ... anyone with some info on how to post pics please tell
Old 07-14-10, 06:43 PM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

Default here are the pics

first pic is the stock exhaust resonator and mufflers

NASCAR exhaust fabricator-7.jpg

new x-pipe and mufflers took out the resonators

NASCAR exhaust fabricator-4.jpg

old stock muffler

NASCAR exhaust fabricator-10.jpg

new boyd butler x-scream muffler prototype

NASCAR exhaust fabricator-3.jpg

New exhaust setup!

NASCAR exhaust fabricator-5.jpg
Old 07-14-10, 09:15 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, and I'm sure it sounds good.
Old 07-15-10, 08:24 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by unclej

Attachment 179788

Attachment 179789

old stock muffler

Attachment 179790

Attachment 179791

New exhaust setup!

Attachment 179792
nice, so did you get x-pipes made? i didnt realize i would need tips on your cans, i may not use any as i dont have any....haha. you already make a video?
Old 07-15-10, 10:56 AM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

Default link to the video before and after

here is the link to the video computer speakers dont do it justice let the video play to the end these cans scream!!!
best part is they are only loud when your pushing the car nice deep sound at 1500 rpm other then that very good sound unless your laying on it and then it just screams

http://youtu.be/onSjgrq4gjI
Old 07-15-10, 11:09 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^Shiiiiiii, I like loud, but that's wayyyyy to loud for me X(.
Old 07-15-10, 12:31 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

wow thats loud....so did the exhaust shop make your x-pipe or did boyd? you got one your gonna send me? i may have to re-vamp my whole setup as i dont wanna tear up my greddy, give me a little time and i will be on the dyno
Old 07-15-10, 01:05 PM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

i had the x pipe from boyd they had to play with it a bit to make it fit..... i am sure that you will not want to put the greddy back on!
Old 07-15-10, 09:50 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything looks good. I like the low end rumble alot at idle but when you rev it up, it's too raspy for my taste. I'm all about the burbling noise but without the raspiness. I just finished fabricating my entire exhaust system to support my new supercharger on my GS300. I used a twin 2" to single 2.5" magnaflow Y-section and it sounds great. I would however keep the stock resonator on the car as it quite it down a bit and it doesn't impede flow at all.
Old 07-16-10, 10:29 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i had the x pipe from boyd they had to play with it a bit to make it fit..... i am sure that you will not want to put the greddy back on!
can i have a x-pipe seriously? i might, i do have two kids in the car

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Everything looks good. I like the low end rumble alot at idle but when you rev it up, it's too raspy for my taste. I'm all about the burbling noise but without the raspiness. I just finished fabricating my entire exhaust system to support my new supercharger on my GS300. I used a twin 2" to single 2.5" magnaflow Y-section and it sounds great. I would however keep the stock resonator on the car as it quite it down a bit and it doesn't impede flow at all.
its a tad raspy up top also for me but i dunno. i wish i had my oem exhaust, i would keep the resonators and just weld in his cans with a tip to my liking. how much did your whole new exhaust setup cost?
Old 07-16-10, 07:19 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
its a tad raspy up top also for me but i dunno. i wish i had my oem exhaust, i would keep the resonators and just weld in his cans with a tip to my liking. how much did your whole new exhaust setup cost?
Whatever you do, keep the two resonators on the car as it will not affect the flow. As far as my exhaust setup, I've probably spent about $900 into my setup including the L-tuned axle back. The only thing that I had the exhaust shop do for me was bend the piping as I don't have a bender and I had another friend do all the welding.
Old 07-17-10, 01:18 PM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

paid 300 for them to cut out everything and weld up the x-pipe and cans.... x pipe from dr.gas was 80 bucks and the price for the new x-scream mufflers is still tba
love it tho i was looking for a new toy such as an m6 vert and now i am going to hold off as the gs became fun to drive around again
Old 07-19-10, 09:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Whatever you do, keep the two resonators on the car as it will not affect the flow. As far as my exhaust setup, I've probably spent about $900 into my setup including the L-tuned axle back. The only thing that I had the exhaust shop do for me was bend the piping as I don't have a bender and I had another friend do all the welding.
i dont have the resonators as my greddy doesnt have them if i recall correctly.gotcha,there is a exhaust warehouse distributor right by me and i get decent pricing on supplies. i wouldnt be able to bend it but i can weld it. i have a MIG,TIG,ARCH AND STICK/ROD welding machine although my welding has probably gone downhill as i havent welded as much as i used to in years. i did/am finishing the flanges i made for the new canisters

paid 300 for them to cut out everything and weld up the x-pipe and cans.... x pipe from dr.gas was 80 bucks and the price for the new x-scream mufflers is still tba
love it tho i was looking for a new toy such as an m6 vert and now i am going to hold off as the gs became fun to drive around again
see im wanting to make a bolt on part with yours, essentially a axle back piece. im looking for some decent tips but got the brain overload on ebay. anyone have any kinda cheap but decent looking tips they suggest?
Old 07-19-10, 09:51 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Attachment 179788

Attachment 179789

old stock muffler

Attachment 179790

Attachment 179791

New exhaust setup!

Attachment 179792
Ok, hate to sound anything but positive AND it is good to see someone trying new things, building, testing, experimenting...

So, here goes:

What are your driving impressions for power and response especially at low RPMs?

What pipe size did you use?

Why did you relocated the X pipe to the rear from the factory Y location directly behind the trans?

Observations:

The X pipe appears larger ID than the pipes feeding it. I recommend keeping pipe sizes and merge sizes to the smallest that support the peak power levels on street driven vehicles such as these.

While the exhaust work is fine from a durability standpoint the location of the X, the use of crush bent vs mandrel and the way the tips are inserted into the muffler outlets do not seem to be good choices.

While no doubt louder I wonder if there has been any improvement to actual performance.

Dyno is tough and may not show any usable data especially at low RPMs.

One way to get low RPM performance is to use a GTech meter and gather the actual G force data and do an overlay for before and after.

Hope you don't take this as too negative just trying to keep it data based not "sound" based.

Quick Reply: NASCAR exhaust fabricator