Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NASCAR exhaust fabricator

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 08:51 AM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASCAR exhaust fabricator

Hey guys let me make a long story short I have become friends with one of the most well respected exhaust fabricators in NASCAR. Outside of being the person that brought the x-pipe,y-pipes, and oval tubing to the race world his setups can be found on 90% of all NASCARS!
So we got to talking and he is willing to make a setup for my 98 gs 400
headers exhaust and also custom mufflers
i think it is worth it and i am going to ship my car out to him so they can do the build
a- would anyone be interested in the same setup for there car
b- He would be willing to give away a few of his custom mufflers and setups for a few people that can help with the project.. as he is looking at going mainstream with his products

hit me up and let me know if your interested
Old 04-13-10, 09:26 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by unclej
Hey guys let me make a long story short I have become friends with one of the most well respected exhaust fabricators in NASCAR. Outside of being the person that brought the x-pipe,y-pipes, and oval tubing to the race world his setups can be found on 90% of all NASCARS!
i think it is worth it and i am going to ship my car out to him so they can do the build
b- He would be willing to give away a few of his custom mufflers and setups for a few people that can help with the project.. as he is looking at going mainstream with his products

a) what setup? as all u have said is he is gonna have headers exhuats (although u meant exhaust headers) and custom mufflers.we need more info... 2", 2.5",3"....catback, axleback, X-pipe,Y-pipe.... etc etc

b) if he does 90% of all nascars setups, i doubt he needs the exposure by giving away a few "free" exhausts to some lexus owners to get his name out.

IBTL....BTW
Old 04-13-10, 09:29 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

im interested if its free :] wouldnt mind having a better exhaust when the supercharger gets bolted on.
Old 04-13-10, 10:05 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure Hendrick, Gibbs, Childress, Roush-Fenway and Stewart-Haas and MWR, all do their own exhaust, in-house, so when you say 90%... exactly who are you referring to?
Old 04-13-10, 10:32 AM
unclej
Driver School Candidate

Default whay i am asking and doing

sakataj- my thought was to send my car out to him and let him build and do whatever he wants and that would form the base of a unit that could then be remade for others based on him building and fitting it to my car
i will have then answer to you as to what setup he believes would work best for the car (pipe size,x vs y,)
As far as exposure i thought it would be a great idea and i was the one that brought it up to him as to give a few setups away to those in the lexus community that would be able to help with this
i reached out to him about this as i have been on this site for well over 5 years and the fact that there isnt a company that makes a good product when it comes to headers and exhaust/mufflers....

3UZFTE- i have a call with the gentelman in question in 3 hours and will be more then happy to pass along all his racing credentials..

guys all i am trying to do is get the most knowledgeable people and enthusiasts from this forum together with someone that i was lucky enough to have a relationship with to try to get us some much needed quality product and more so some expert input and advice
Old 04-13-10, 11:03 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how it goes. Most exhaust systems are actually worse than stock performance wise, I wonder if he can make one that actually will increase performance? hmmm....
Old 04-13-10, 11:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

sakataj- my thought was to send my car out to him and let him build and do whatever he wants and that would form the base of a unit that could then be remade for others based on him building and fitting it to my car
i will have then answer to you as to what setup he believes would work best for the car (pipe size,x vs y,)
As far as exposure i thought it would be a great idea and i was the one that brought it up to him as to give a few setups away to those in the lexus community that would be able to help with this
i reached out to him about this as i have been on this site for well over 5 years and the fact that there isnt a company that makes a good product when it comes to headers and exhaust/mufflers....

3UZFTE- i have a call with the gentelman in question in 3 hours and will be more then happy to pass along all his racing credentials..

guys all i am trying to do is get the most knowledgeable people and enthusiasts from this forum together with someone that i was lucky enough to have a relationship with to try to get us some much needed quality product and more so some expert input and advice
i mean im in if its gonna improve performance......just wanted some info.

ok well im in for a free one too....LMK
Old 04-13-10, 06:42 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Interested to hear what he says..

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Let us know how it goes. Most exhaust systems are actually worse than stock performance wise, I wonder if he can make one that actually will increase performance? hmmm....
Factory exhaust is very restrictive in all aspects, not saying that it is tiny, but it is apparent to those who upgrade their exhaust, that there are gains to be had. I am pretty sure the stock exhaust becomes restrictive around 350rwhp, plus the stock manifolds flows like poop. I'd imagine a nice set of headers and back would increase the exhaust flow a fair amount.
Old 04-13-10, 07:58 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Last time i asked a shop to custom make headers for my car....he lol and said, trust me! you rather go turbo. I wounder how much these are gonna cost.

Keep us updated
Old 04-13-10, 09:18 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Factory exhaust is very restrictive in all aspects, not saying that it is tiny, but it is apparent to those who upgrade their exhaust, that there are gains to be had. I am pretty sure the stock exhaust becomes restrictive around 350rwhp, plus the stock manifolds flows like poop. I'd imagine a nice set of headers and back would increase the exhaust flow a fair amount.
Maybe so, I know Jbrady is the expert about exhaust work for our cars by all the threads and input he's put in. He's been experimenting with different size tubing and y pipes then stock and most them lose power compared to the stock piping circumference while remaining NA. Boosted cars always benefit with larger exhausts and downpipes. So for the 90% of us out there that arent boosted, theres not many gains to be made for our exhaust system. 5whp max

As far as headers go, S&S is about the best short tube design you could get for our cars without relocating the cats and such. Stay tuned because assualt tech is in the works with some 4th Gen S&S headers!
Old 04-13-10, 09:20 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Count me in
Old 04-13-10, 10:42 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Maybe so, I know Jbrady is the expert about exhaust work for our cars by all the threads and input he's put in. He's been experimenting with different size tubing and y pipes then stock and most them lose power compared to the stock piping circumference while remaining NA. Boosted cars always benefit with larger exhausts and downpipes. So for the 90% of us out there that arent boosted, theres not many gains to be made for our exhaust system. 5whp max

As far as headers go, S&S is about the best short tube design you could get for our cars without relocating the cats and such. Stay tuned because assualt tech is in the works with some 4th Gen S&S headers!
I can agree with you on that because very rarely do we put cams or any real performance NA gains other than cold air. Jbrady is the man and has done all the homework and we'll leave it at that. Looking forward to the new headers.
Old 04-14-10, 01:59 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It is always good to get more data about what may or may not make for an improvement for these cars.

I may know who you are talking about although I do not know him in person. I do not know his experience with STREET cars specifically heavy luxury cars with small engines that MUST have low and mid range torque to maintain their driving enjoyment.

Too many people believe that the highest dyno number is the best. This is DEFINITELY not true for cars such as ours. Designing a NASCAR system that is tuned for peak power in the 8000rpm range is hugely different than designing an emissions compliant system that will keep or enhance low and mid RPM power and response while improving peak power.

Actually a system that improves low and mid power WITHOUT increasing peak power would still be a valuable system to use. Conversely a system that picks up 10-20rwhp peak but looses low to mid range power and response would NOT be a valuable system except for someone that is ONLY interested in drag racing and does not care about daily utility and enjoyment for street use.

That said I do not mean to suggest what is being planned is either a good idea or not as I do not know what the plan is. It will be interesting to see what is developed.
Old 04-16-10, 09:14 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Interested in seeing what he makes if he does. NASCAR makes specific exhaust systems for when you wing the wee out of your motor, and unless you plan on spinning your car to the moon, might not be the best setup. But it sounds like he would know what he'd be doing, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 05-04-10, 08:23 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

ill let him use my car as long as he needs its weekend/show car under construction.

Quick Reply: NASCAR exhaust fabricator