Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

tc and lsd question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 04:20 AM
stephen0917
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tc and lsd question

Thanks guys for your help on my previous questions. I have a few more though for the experts out there:

1) Which tc and lsd should I go with for my 2002 GS 430? Is one better then the other? Where do I go to get them?

2) I know these are to two things to really help my 1/4 mile time. Will these modifications by any means put a strain on the car? In other words, will the car run better or had been better off if I never made those modifications?

Thanks again all. Stephen
Old 06-11-02, 06:34 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

1) Go with the TRD LSD, and the SRT (Precision) TC. You will definitely notice a difference. Some people have gone with the RMM LSD, but IMHO I would stick with the TRD LSD. The RMM has a higher gearing ratio, and you will hit the rev limiter (a big NO NO) alot quicker because the tranny ECU can't keep up with the modified gearing ratio, but with the TRD LSD, you are using the stock gearing ratio, and getting what you REALLY want, power to both wheels, and not the extra gearing. I swapped cars with a friend's GS400 who had the RMM (Supra) LSD, and he drove my car (TRD LSD), and his car definitely hit the rev limiter a lot quicker, and he beat me off the line in my own car because of me hitting the rev limiter, and having to let off the gas. Needless to say he sold his RMM LSD, and got the TRD LSD. Also I think the TRD LSD cost less. Also look at getting a Hi Intake system. Talk to Moe at SRT, and he probably can work out a deal for you.

2) No strain on your car, outside of you lighting up your tires if you gun it. The LSD should be a standard on the GS, or at least an option (as it is on the IS). The TC will definitely give you more kick, and the LSD will allow the car to stay straight, otherwise without the LSD, be prepared to learn how to straighted your car when you gun it, because your tail definitely will be going to the right (stock open differential)!

Happy Hunting!

Lee

Last edited by LexCiting; 06-11-02 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-11-02, 06:20 PM
stephen0917
Driver School Candidate

Default TRD LSD ??

Lee,

Thanks alot for all the help with my questions. Sounds like you really know your stuff. I went online to check out the TRD LSD. They don't have one for the GS. They have 2 for the Supra, one a clutch and one a helical. Do you know which TRD LSD is the right one for the 2002 GS430? Also, when I do put this in, do I also have to change the gears in the rear? If not, how does the LSD add as much as .75 sec on the quarter? (so I've heard).

Thanks again for all your help!!!
Stephen
Old 06-11-02, 07:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Stephen,

Welcome to ClubLexus! One thing you'll find very useful in answering your questions is the SEARCH feature from the main page. Just click on that button, and type in TRD LSD - you'll get a bunch of information.

To briefly answer some of your questions:

Yes, TRD does make the LSD for the GS400, and it happens to be the same as the Supra TT. Here's a link to the official TRD website where it's listed -->http://www.toyota-trd.com/en/strt/d_lsd.html scroll about halfway down and look for "ARISTO LEXUS GS400/300".

Click here for a recent group buy on the LSD where a lot of people posted Q&As that will help you with more details, including questions about changing gears. I found this link using the search feature .

There is no way that the LSD alone will reduce (hopefully not add ) .75 sec from the quarter mile. Whoever you've "heard" this from is blowing some big time smoke up your tucas. The LSD will help if you have traction problems. Many folks that add an aftermarket torque converter like the Precision Industries TC sold by SRT have problems putting the power to the pavement - thats where the LSD comes in and (in combination with other mods) makes your car more efficient in launching by getting the power to the pavement.

Again - welcome; hope this helps. Try the search, you'll like it.
Old 06-11-02, 07:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,355 Posts

One more thought Stephen...

I've had the TC for more than two years without issue. Six months or so ago I added an aftermarket transmission cooler (mine is a Permacool, other makers include Hayden) before I took my car to the track for extra safety. I recommend you go ahead and do this from the get go; cheap insurance.

I'm getting the TRD LSD installed this weekend, so no personal experience (yet) on that product I can offer... just internet-learnin'.
Old 06-12-02, 06:11 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by LexCiting
The RMM has a higher gearing ratio, and you will hit the rev limiter (a big NO NO) alot quicker because the tranny ECU can't keep up with the modified gearing ratio.
Yes, with 16s or 17s, you will hit the rev limiter with the 3.76 driving in 'D', and going to WOT.

With my 19s in the rear, I have yet to hit it under WOT.

Just something to consider. Both are great units I'm sure.
Old 06-12-02, 08:24 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by LexCiting
The RMM has a higher gearing ratio, and you will hit the rev limiter (a big NO NO) alot quicker because the tranny ECU can't keep up with the modified gearing ratio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I concur with Dex.

I've got the RMM TC, RMM LSD and RMM Modified Valve Body and have not experienced hitting the rev limiter under WOT. I've run about fifteen 0-60 runs since I got my G-tech Pro 2 weeks ago and never saw this problem.

Don't know if the RMM Valve Body has anything to do with it. I have been reading comments about hitting the limiter on several posts, but I don't think anyone had the RMM TC, LSD and Valve Body combo.