Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installed resonated Magnaflow resonated tips today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 10:42 AM
maintrain
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed resonated Magnaflow resonated tips today.

I was getting tired of scraping the ground with my exhaust tips on my Borla exhaust (Borla 11729) and decided to take advantage of the sale Amazon was having on Magnaflow products. I picked up 2 oval resonated tips model 35174 and put them in place of the carbon fiber tips on the rear. While the car was in the air, I had him replace the small muffler after the cats and y with a straight pipe. The shop only charged me $70 for everything and did an awesome job. I couldn't be happier with sound! I'll try to post a sound clip after work. Here are the pictures...

Before

Cut off the small muffler

Straight pipe installed

Old tips removed

After

Over 200000 miles and still modding!

Bonus pictures of a cool boss 302 the shop was in working on

Old 05-05-10, 10:45 AM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Congrats, looks much cleaner!
Old 05-05-10, 11:34 AM
maintrain
Pole Position

Originally Posted by o6spdracer
Nice! Congrats, looks much cleaner!
Thanks

Amazon has all the Maganaflow stuff marked down 30 - 40+ % ! Then there was a coupon for an additional 30% off that just expired. Looks like they sell just about the entire product line.
Old 05-05-10, 11:45 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by maintrain
Thanks

Amazon has all the Maganaflow stuff marked down 30 - 40+ % ! Then there was a coupon for an additional 30% off that just expired. Looks like they sell just about the entire product line.
yep...I was so late on it...thanks for the heads-up

Those tips are smaller then the oem 01+ gs? Also, we have a muffler back there... the tip is over a foot long?

Last edited by sam430; 05-05-10 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-05-10, 12:28 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
Also, we have a muffler back there... the tip is over a foot long?
i just noticed this too and i was like ????
Old 05-05-10, 12:43 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sam430
yep...I was so late on it...thanks for the heads-up

Those tips are smaller then the oem 01+ gs? Also, we have a muffler back there... the tip is over a foot long?
The Borla exhaust I have was essentially a muffler delete. Borla just used stainless steel piping and a 4" resonated tip. They stopped making this system some time ago. It's pretty aggressive and weighs a lot less than the stock mufflers.
Old 05-05-10, 12:46 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
i just noticed this too and i was like ????
Not very many people chose this exhuast. I think they discontinued it in 2004.
Old 05-05-10, 01:02 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Is a muffler delete illegal in CA? this would be a weight savings but then it'll be loud as F@ck
Old 05-05-10, 01:29 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

It's really not that bad as long as you leave the other resonators installed. Here is my old video right after I installed the borla. Everything else on the exhaust is stock. Please disregard the background music. Don't know what I was thinking!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=15772852
Old 05-05-10, 01:52 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I like the idea and it also looks good. Gotta go under the car to see what I got. It might still be too loud for CA., especially with SRT and SS installed.
Old 05-06-10, 11:08 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Maintain PM'd me the following questions and I felt others may want to know as well so I hope he will not mind my answering here:

"I remember reading one of your exhaust post about x-pipes where you stated that the stock system functions as one big x-pipe and is very well engineered. With that statement, I concluded that it would be unnecessary for me to remove most of the stock exhaust just to put in a smaller x-pipe and run all new pipe to the back and lose low end power. Removing that small resonator made more sense to me since it seems most people (including me) do exhaust mods to gain more sound seeing that power gains are negligible. Just wanted to hear your input on my thought process for this exhaust mod. "

It looks like the shop replaced your center resonator with a 2.5" pipe. The stock resonator = a perforated 2.36" pipe so the 2.5" is a good choice for an upgrade. Not sure about the transition back to the second Y pipe leading to the rear duals and the performance may not be noticeable... may just be louder and possibly create droning. What do YOU think of your change? Power? Sound? Droning?

I do recommend keeping the stock front Y pipe which you did. Removing the resonator and mufflers will obviously make the car louder and I wonder about your driving impressions? Louder usually makes a car "feel" faster but is yours any faster? Removing also reduces weight which improves power to weight ratio as long as power does not drop.

Weight is one of many good reasons to keep pipe size as small as possible as larger pipe size weighs more.
Old 05-06-10, 12:10 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jbrady
Maintain PM'd me the following questions and I felt others may want to know as well so I hope he will not mind my answering here:
I don't mind one bit. Maybe someone can benefit from this information. As far as performance gains are concerned, it feels no faster than before but it doesn't feel like it has lost any power. My goal was a throatier sound which I feel I've accomplished. The resonator that was removed made the exhaust have a more subdued tone. Now it has some bark throughout the entire RPM range. It is a touch louder but it seems to be getting a little more mellow as I break it in. I love the way it sounds and have no regrets.
Old 05-06-10, 04:52 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

Here's a video clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-0ggqbbxxk

Last edited by maintrain; 05-06-10 at 04:54 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 05-07-10, 07:24 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds mean! I like it.

BTW, you did not post a pick of the tips before install. I like the way they look much better than your previous tips.

Old 05-07-10, 07:46 AM
maintrain
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jbrady
Sounds mean! I like it.

BTW, you did not post a pick of the tips before install. I like the way they look much better than your previous tips.
Thanks. Find myself riding with all the windows down more since doing this. Thanks for posting the picture of the tip.

Quick Reply: Installed resonated Magnaflow resonated tips today.