Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS400 Intake Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-02, 09:18 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bliu:

That's great to hear, coming from you. It has been a slightly bumpy path in the past, but as I was telling Ethan, it only helps me and SRT to better serve its potential and existing clientele.

I think what's happened now is that more and more people are begining to understand what we've been saying about SRT all along. SRT is not, never have and will be a Mickey Mouse operation, not only b/c we don't wish it to be...but b/c the upper echelon clientele we serve will not stand for it. SRT is a thought out business proposition. The only reason our timely faults have been exposed, is due to SRT's lifespan being accessible on the web (ie. Forums, chats, etc).

Believe me, there have discussions & meetings & conversations, etc., etc. regarding the image/outward appearance of our organization in the Lexus community. One of the things that SRT takes very seriously is the TOTAL SRT experience. That begins with answering customer's questions with a sober and humble disposition to the quality manufacturing of our products to the packaging of those products to the performance you experience once those SRT products are installed to the service after the sale.

I think a lot of people forget that if a company doesn't make you feel that they genuinly appreciate your support (Spending your hard earned $$)...then that's a definite problem and will lead to its ultimate demise.

In the end, like I have always stated on this board & others, I do not claim SRT to be the solution to everyone's question...you the consumer have that control. SRT is like a family that also extends to its customers. If someone decides to be part of that, then they are very welcome, but if not, we understand...we move on.
Old 06-18-02, 09:31 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Dr. Rick: Thanks for your sensitivity to the issue!

lexlyf: I feel a hug coming ...It's good to hear SRT's viewpoint and stance towards their customer base.

Brent
Old 06-18-02, 09:46 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Somthing else that came to mind after reading Ehtan's findings again. What I would like people to understand is that the test involved installing a product, completing a dyno & then having it uninstalled.

The problem with this, as the SRT Race piggy-back Ecu is concerned, is that there was no allowance of time for the stock Ecu to "learn" the new parameters provided by the SRT computer. The optimal situation would be to have the SRT intake & Race Ecu installed & then driven around so that the stock computer can "learn" its new habits, so to speak (the normal learning period is about 200 miles).

Once learned, you will have different findings via dyno test that would "fill in the gaps" hp & torque-wise.

I understand that b/c there are vital resources at stake, this type of situaiton is probably not likely to occur, but I still applaud Ethan & those parties involved that donated their time, vehicles, etc. to derive the findings discussed in this thread.

Last edited by lexlyf; 06-18-02 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-18-02, 09:57 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ethan, GREAT JOB!!!
Thanks to all those involved!!
Old 06-18-02, 12:09 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

MRGS400nSoCali - Someplace called wholesale hyperformance lists the Injen intake but no listing for the GS 400 yet. It is interesting that the intake for the GS430 is also listed for the LS430 and SC 430 and while they list an intake for the LS400 and SC400, they don't say it will fit they GS400. Maybe they just need a car to test fit (could be worth a phone call). In any event, with little work, this site lists the intake for the 430s as IS2095P/B/R (Polished, Blue, or Red) for $195, $202.50, and $202.50.

The comment about the electronics learning from the new ECU could be valid. Then again, every hookup with some kind of electronic mod would also show improvement with learning. Hope Ethan hasn't burned out and we can look forward to the Injen with the factory tuned Apexi and a few quarter mile runs as well. Ethan, be sure to let us know how the budget is doing and if anything more is needed if you continue.
Old 06-18-02, 12:42 PM
Static911

Right now, I'm kinda burnt out on intakes. Every time somebody brings up the "intake dyno" in our house, I go crazy. I'm like, "NOOOOO, not again!"

As for the Apex-I + Injen intake, we prob will do it in mid July.

Ethan
Old 06-18-02, 01:15 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by RON430
The comment about the electronics learning from the new ECU could be valid. Then again, every hookup with some kind of electronic mod would also show improvement with learning.
One would like to think but that is not always the case. Sometimes with the newer "smarter" ECUs in OBDII cars actually learn the mod and "tune" it right out. So that after time the performance becomes closer to stock (See all the "reset your ECU" threads here).

Even though logistics did not allow such a test kudos to Static911 and everyone involved in the running of these tests.
Old 06-18-02, 02:41 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get it??? WR send us a brand new Intake.. too Long? You got it wrong.... you are suppose to drill a hole on hood and show a all the people how.... long.... that ... thing is.. .. get all the air you need by sticking it out of the hood and out of the car...

hehehehe

Ethan.. great job.. again... No rice company make Lexus Parts..

Last edited by Shinchan; 06-18-02 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-18-02, 02:56 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Uhhhhh..ouch!
Old 06-18-02, 08:23 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Not trying to BASH but I did have a shipping error from WR too !!about 3 1/2 years ago on a intake for my Legend:eek:
Old 06-19-02, 01:56 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shinchan - OH! NOW it makes sense...Damn, why didn't SRT and Injen think of that?! Dumbasses!
Old 06-19-02, 08:38 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Major PROPS to Static, and crew for the dyno information. Not only is this write up one of the most informative, and PROVEN write-ups on this site. But most importantly....

BLiu and SRT are giving each other accolades!

Sniff Sniff I am getting misty eyed!!!
Old 06-19-02, 06:47 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm fairly new to all that.. and reading dyno charts is kind of hard for me.. i'm lookin' at them and i dont understand anything..

can either someone explain me how to read them

and/or

can someone tell me which one would be "the best" intake to chooice from.. i'm tying to read just about every posts here on that forum.. but one people say one intake is better and thats it's better then others.. and yet another thread says different things.. such as apparantly another intake is better then all others.. so confused here..

thank you in advance and i appologize for such a question if someone find it "stupid" please do not post any replays at all.. i'm not here to fight with anybody i'm here to learn..

thanks again..
Old 06-20-02, 06:39 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

even if you can't read the chart, which I don't know how to read myself. I believe there are some reported numbers that people posted somewhere within the thread. Hint: higher the number, the better! So, if you have your heart set on getting an intake, take the one with the highest number reported. Hope that solves your dilemma.

If you have been following and reading the info from CL as you claim you have, it shouldn't be that tough of a decision. There will always be differences of opinion on CL, that's what's great about a public forum. Tons of people have provided their valuable personal experiences and info about various products here on CL. It's up to you to make up your own mind, no one is going to make a decision for you. I almost wanted to say get some *****, and make a decision, ooopss, it slipped, but I am really not trying to flame.
Old 06-21-02, 08:21 AM
RacingAristo

Ethan,

That is a great write up that covers lots of areas. This will certainly help out fellow members to decide which set to get. Looking forward to your Injen/S-AFC dyno.

Quick Reply: GS400 Intake Shootout