Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS400 Intake Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-02, 12:41 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i guess we have failed this time... i will take part of the blame because i did not stress leo hard enough i guess on the importance of this dyno.

We dont want to make excuses but maybe some other time we'll do it again. I have one question, was the intake tested with teh hyper filter or dragon filter? if you used the hyper this may be a reason for the big difference in the power gains
Old 06-21-02, 04:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally posted by a1exus
i'm fairly new to all that.. and reading dyno charts is kind of hard for me.. i'm lookin' at them and i dont understand anything..

can either someone explain me how to read them

and/or

can someone tell me which one would be "the best" intake to chooice from..
'K... the dyno graphs show horsepower and torque (vertical left and right axes) and engine speed (RPM, on horizontal axis). So you can see how horsepower and torque output vary as the rpms rise. The graphs with multiple colored lines (red, green and blue I think) are the easiest to follow because they show the comparison of stock, SRT and WR intakes. The data show that SRT makes more HP and torque than stock as does the WR but the WR makes slightly more torque than the SRT.

Basically more HP is important for higher top speed and torque is important for better acceleration (e.g., 0-60) so if you trust the data, SRT is better for top speed and WR for acceleration, and both are better than stock. But I don't buy it entirely... I expect the SRT to be the better intake overall because of the ECU.

The SRT looks better made, has better instructions and is backed by a better company.

The WR is cheap, but looks kinda cool.

If WR had delivered an ECU for the test, they MAY have blown away SRT, who knows. Since I've not heard of ANYONE having a WR ECU, I believe it's vaporware.
Old 06-22-02, 06:02 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Bit's:
If WR had delivered an ECU for the test, they MAY have blown away SRT, who knows. Since I've not heard of ANYONE having a WR ECU, I believe it's vaporware.

Vaporware is the exact word... its a $900 vaporware... Not only expensive.. some would need to be geinue pig...
Old 06-22-02, 06:51 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexusRules
i did not stress leo hard enough i guess on the importance of this dyno.

sasha,
the problem is not the fact that this was a dyno event. the really bad part is that this could have been a customers order. i know had it been me, and i had spent over $1000 for intake and ECU only to eno****er the problems that Ethan had, i would be come unglued. just something to think about.........

Doc
Old 06-22-02, 07:27 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna

. The data show that SRT makes more HP and torque than stock as does the WR but the WR makes slightly more torque than the SRT.

actually, if you look at the graph, in all places other than that initial spike, the weapon makes less torque than the SRT. in most cases, 7-9tq less throughout the rev range. i guess it comes down to preference, do you want a higher peak number or more torque throughout the RPM range.

Doc
Old 06-22-02, 09:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

DrRick - one point I didn't say is I think torque numbers for an individual run have a lot to do with the operator and a bit of luck too, as you know from our runs in Charlotte.

Based on the data from Ethan's tests, the SRT is definitely (still) the best on the market.
Old 06-23-02, 08:02 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Better to have a wide torque range than a "peak" number. Depending on how the numbers are displayed, "peak" looks better. But the real guys know that it's the entire area under the torque curve that counts.

Percy
Old 06-24-02, 01:37 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Percy
Better to have a wide torque range than a "peak" number. Depending on how the numbers are displayed, "peak" looks better. But the real guys know that it's the entire area under the torque curve that counts.

Percy
I agree.
Old 06-24-02, 06:34 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should also be noted that the relative position of the hp and torque peaks is important. Anything that forces them apart is not so good.
Old 06-24-02, 08:17 PM
badassloumd
Driver School Candidate

Default Good work!

Ethan, I want to takn you for all of the work you put into this head-to-head shootout. I can only image what a pain in the butt it was to set this event up for a second time. I really like how you divided up the "points" in diferent categories...

SRT -- you need to get a nice blue can of metallic spray-paint..

WR -- I like the looks of your intake..

---Lou
Old 06-25-02, 02:45 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DrRick

actually, if you look at the graph, in all places other than that initial spike, the weapon makes less torque than the SRT. in most cases, 7-9tq less throughout the rev range. i guess it comes down to preference, do you want a higher peak number or more torque throughout the RPM range.

Doc
Yep, mod'd SupraTT is a prime example of how important the #'s are before and after the curve....... Very often the car with the highest peak will lose to the car with the better curve....this is often overlooked especially when dynos are being compared.....
Old 06-25-02, 07:22 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

i had both system in my car before and from what i experience yes the WR with ECU would be better than the Swift if only it didn't keep dying out all the time (engine)..which i hope WR is still doing R&D on the product. Only thing i don't like about Swift is that there intake is very loud @low rpm. compare to WR. Performance on the WR-ecu is that the take off is much much faster than the swift ecu for sure to those that actually ran an WR ecu and Swift ECu can truly compare the two side by side.
Old 06-25-02, 08:13 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Which version of the SRT Intake System are you referring to, as there have been 3? Just want to clarify your statements.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-02, 09:22 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by KNKGS400
i had both system in my car before and from what i experience yes the WR with ECU would be better than the Swift if only it didn't keep dying out all the time (engine)..which i hope WR is still doing R&D on the product. Only thing i don't like about Swift is that there intake is very loud @low rpm. compare to WR. Performance on the WR-ecu is that the take off is much much faster than the swift ecu for sure to those that actually ran an WR ecu and Swift ECu can truly compare the two side by side.
I find that the SRT w/ stock exhaust (and TM plugs) only have a wide open throttle noise level of 70 dB, A weighted. This is using a Bruel & Kjaer sound level meter that measures from 6.3 hz to 20khz. FULL RANGE. The microphone cartridge alone sells for over a thousand dollars. Measurement was taken within the car. I'll have to dig up my notes but I believe that's with the windows down.

Stock GS400 will do a wide open throttle of 68 dB, A weighted according to one of the car mags. (Car and driver?) 2 dB is not very objectionable, imo. You need a difference of 10 dBA to sound TWICE as loud since our ears are logrithmic in nature.

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust system?

Percy