Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TRD LSD Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-02, 08:01 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question TRD LSD Installation

I have a Y2K GS400. I am prep on getting the TRD LSD. Before that, I want to find out some Info on any member that has it installed before.

I have asked a dealer to install this… they are quoting installation plus another $300 for some kinds of parts need to go with it. They told me if I lift up the rear wheel and spin the tire, if both of them spin, I won’t need it…. otherwise I need another 300 for that part. Anyone know if this is true? I thought this is a direct replacement of open up the LSD pumpkin and change the internal? Help…
Old 06-17-02, 11:13 AM
JacobT

The TRD LSD is a direct replacement without any other parts. I don't know what are they talking about.

With open diff. when you turn one of the rear wheel, the other one rotates at a different direction.

The insllation should be around 5-6 hours of labor.
Old 06-17-02, 01:01 PM
JYOO

Actually the TRD unit is not the whole unit so install is not so simple. The TRD does used the stock ring and pinion and other internal parts, I paid 350 for install. I would take it to a professional ring and pinion, differential place, I did.

Also, if there are any 4 wheel or off road shops, i wouldnt hesitate to take it there either, since most of their work deals with rear ends and differentials.
Old 06-17-02, 01:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Shinchan,

I also replied via PM earlier, but will post here as well for other folks benefit who might be considering getting a LSD.

I got my TRD LSD installed this last Saturday at the local Lexus dealer. There are no additional parts you need other than the diff oil you'll put into it. They might be looking at Aristo specifications on the TRD Website entry for the LSD says something like "If the vehicle is factory-equipped with L.S.D. side gear shaft necessary. "

To my knowledge, NONE of the US-spec GSs have a factory LSD. You do NOT need that side gear shaft or other parts.

I didn't look at my bill for how much the install was specifically on the LSD, but I had an oil change, installed a TRD lower front chassis brace, installed the Tom's 6-piece suspension kit and did the LSD install and the total damage was around $420 bucks. (I'll post opinions and feedback on these new mods soon after I get some more driving time on them - so far they are amazing).

Is there another dealer you can go to? This one sounds like they don't know what they're doing. My place put their head mechanic on it and he did a great job. The 6-link was the first one they had ever done there so everybody was coming by to check it out.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-17-02 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-19-02, 07:10 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Do they user special LSD oil or just the same one lexus uses? I am going to place order for LSD today... at least 6 weeks of waiting time. But I don't mind. I got it lower price than Steve... I'll release the price.. this afternoon...when I actually finish placing the order face to face.. with Toyota dealer in MA....
More detail/price to comes...
Old 06-19-02, 09:16 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fluid should be LSD Synthetic Oil and a little LSD Additive, that's all.
Old 06-20-02, 08:47 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

I place order with my local toyota dealer yesterday for the TRD LSD parts... Get this...

$750 tax included... with out tax.. its like $714.29!!!

Thanks to SupraCoup3 who work in Lexus next door got this deal of century for me...

Old 06-20-02, 10:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Cool - you got it for $19 less than the GB!

Six weeks before it comes in? Good luck getting it in that time period, I had to wait like twice that !

Are they going to install it for you there too or is that the same shop that was trying to sell you the extra parts?
Old 06-20-02, 11:19 AM
RacingAristo

ShinChan,

That's heck of a deal. Would you mind sharing the resouce? PM me. Thank you.
Old 06-20-02, 11:29 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Yeah.. the same Lexus dealership... the parts was actually got in the next door (toyota parts..with TRD Catelog..) The part manager in Toyota has no idea on how GS works.. but the tech.. is from Lexus dealership.. who has done tranny/diff stuff before on GS and LX.

So.. with best judgement.. and loaner car.. hehehe.. I will let Lexus install it.. they will have to take some liability.. since it was done at their shop.. they will be more willing to diag into problem if it was install by them...

It will be easier to explain to wife... OH.. the car is having some problem.. let me take it to dealer and have them look at it for 2 days... (install SRT TC, Transmission cooler, and TRD LSD) and have the loaner car for 2 days.. so.. my little deceiving story has a loaner car to back it up....

HEHEHE.... she is already pissed at me for spending so much since I join CL... I promised her my wheel was the last upgrade for good... (finger crossed...)