Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another eBay exhaust... opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 09:50 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Honestly, your numbers are way off, a $800 to $1000 exhaust does not cost $100 or less to make...

Generally Speaking....

I'm not even going to get into actual numbers.. But I can tell you from an expert experience, the material alone is way more then $100...
Now that's based on production in the USA and using the really Good material.
Then there are actual Labor Unit costs if hand built.

If you’re talking mass production units built in China or Taiwan, then maybe I can see a $1,000 exhaust costing somewhere near $100-200 to make.. And when I mean mass production, I mean 100-200+ units... Not all handmade & made with much cheaper grade material, which will not last long.

Joe Z

P.S. - I'm not trying to be argumentative, but really unless you know actual numbers.. you really just don't know...
^^ Listen to this kat, knows his ish...

And if the OP which was saving for a home, a few hundred bucks shouldn't be a concern... if you were that concerned w/ buying a home, shoulda bought an econo car, ala Civic/Corola.

me, I'm saving for a home too, but I'm not living in my parents basement and not scrapping two dimes to make a buck. I live in the most expensive county in the US, Bergen County, NJ - US (for the haters, go ahead and do a thourough google search). $300K gets you a handy man special, $400K gets you something workable, $1/2Million gets you something decent and nice.

If your buying an ebay exhaust to save for a home, your priorities are way off killa... Don't skrimp on the skrap. Or, if the heat is ovbiously too hot, get out the kitchen and roll in a Hyundai.

Ebay garbage is

Ebay garbage is

if you own a 93' Hyundai Scoupe
Old 05-21-10, 10:12 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darkdream
With another $250 you can get a better quality exhaust. I mean $250 is less than a pair of sneakers. If it turned out to be crap you just wasted $250. So it comes down to if you are willing to take the risk and end up paying another $500 for a new one if you are not satisfied with the ebay one.
$250 for "sneakers" you fell for the Jorden/Lebron/Pippen special with spring loaded soles that make you jump 80 feet higher, lol...

for real tho.... $500ish will get you a decent exhaust like a Tanabe.... spend a little more and get the F-Sport for more growl.
Old 05-24-10, 07:42 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

hey mdgrwl, i OWN a new house. I appreciate your financial opinions, but like i originally posted, I have a house and would much rather spend money on the home than my car, but would still like to play around with something for the car out of boredom. Even if i do buy some off brand from eBay, if it rusts or doesn't fit, I'm not out $700.
Old 05-24-10, 07:48 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heyarms
hey mdgrwl, i OWN a new house. I appreciate your financial opinions, but like i originally posted, I have a house and would much rather spend money on the home than my car, but would still like to play around with something for the car out of boredom. Even if i do buy some off brand from eBay, if it rusts or doesn't fit, I'm not out $700.
well were not just getting down to personal opinion then.

i PERSONALLY wouldn't bother wasting time & money with this. I'm a do it once, and do it right kinda guy.
Old 05-24-10, 08:38 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
Look, just don't get Ebay exhaust.

I say this because things get expensive. Do it right once and you won't be out of any money. Proper exhaust last as long as your car itself.

If you get the ebay one, if it does not fit, you spend some money at a shop to get it re weld, if you cant put it on yourself you spend some money to get them to mount it, then you spend some more money to get them taken off if it breaks, then you might have to spend some more money on gaskets, then if you're addicted to the exhaust look you end up spending the money on a brand name one after

It gets messy and you would not want to be running around spending 50 bucks here and there.
Old 05-24-10, 11:29 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
Look, just don't get Ebay exhaust.

I say this because things get expensive. Do it right once and you won't be out of any money. Proper exhaust last as long as your car itself.

If you get the ebay one, if it does not fit, you spend some money at a shop to get it re weld, if you cant put it on yourself you spend some money to get them to mount it, then you spend some more money to get them taken off if it breaks, then you might have to spend some more money on gaskets, then if you're addicted to the exhaust look you end up spending the money on a brand name one after

It gets messy and you would not want to be running around spending 50 bucks here and there.
word

do it once and do it right

if not, have fun dropping cash on a $200 "ebay" exhaust that has absolutley no resale value as nobody is going to want to buy that thing.

then spending possibly hundreds more if it doesn't fit right ect...

then spending the money to get a real exhaust (Tanabe/F-Sport/ect...) which you shoulda got in the first place

not to mention all the time wasted running around to the shop ect...

i wouldn't bother bro, just do it once and do it right. don't mess around with that crap. too much potential for problems
Old 05-24-10, 11:57 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you wont be out by $700 if you get a reputable one... never! haha... joeZ FTW

Andre
Old 05-24-10, 01:13 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, one other thing. There's no way to hear this thing before you buy it... what happens if you buy it and you hate the way it sounds?

With the popular ones, they are all on youtube...

Bro, just trying to save you money in the long run. Dont buy this.
Old 05-24-10, 01:50 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Honestly, your numbers are way off, a $800 to $1000 exhaust does not cost $100 or less to make...

Generally Speaking....

I'm not even going to get into actual numbers.. But I can tell you from an expert experience, the material alone is way more then $100...
Now that's based on production in the USA and using the really Good material.
Then there are actual Labor Unit costs if hand built.

If you’re talking mass production units built in China or Taiwan, then maybe I can see a $1,000 exhaust costing somewhere near $100-200 to make.. And when I mean mass production, I mean 100-200+ units... Not all handmade & made with much cheaper grade material, which will not last long.

Joe Z

P.S. - I'm not trying to be argumentative, but really unless you know actual numbers.. you really just don't know...
I understand manufacturing in United States can be very expensive, partially due to high labor cost. However, big companies can afford to produce way more than 200 - 300 products at a time, so their production costs are definitely lower. I don't know about the material grades, as our company products are manufactured in China, we have many fitment issues rather than any quality issues. What about some of the exhaust that go for 2000 to 5000 dollars? How much do you think their manufacturing costs are?

Also, take Wald for example, just the rear lip cost like 800 dollars. I don't think it would cost more than 50 dollars for wald to manufacture the lip....
Old 05-24-10, 06:33 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for designing things.. it depends.... designing costs and other overheads have to be included

Andre
Old 05-24-10, 06:40 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by someboy
I understand manufacturing in United States can be very expensive, partially due to high labor cost. However, big companies can afford to produce way more than 200 - 300 products at a time, so their production costs are definitely lower. I don't know about the material grades, as our company products are manufactured in China, we have many fitment issues rather than any quality issues. What about some of the exhaust that go for 2000 to 5000 dollars? How much do you think their manufacturing costs are?

Also, take Wald for example, just the rear lip cost like 800 dollars. I don't think it would cost more than 50 dollars for wald to manufacture the lip....
Also Wald probably does not make enough to mass produce, they probably just have some molding machines and end up molding and sanding it out by hand
Old 05-24-10, 07:29 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Think of the eBay exhaust like Chinese drywall and the JoeZ exhaust as good ol American drywall. Which would you buy? Case closed.
Old 05-24-10, 07:38 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Think of the eBay exhaust like Chinese drywall and the JoeZ exhaust as good ol American drywall. Which would you buy? Case closed.
Chinese dry wall for rental property

JK
Old 05-24-10, 07:49 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an ebay exhaust that sounds just as good and provided the same horsepower (calculated from trap speeds) as the 700-1200 dollar versions.

The ONLY thing that was wrong with mine was that the hangars needed adjustment, but from what I can tell.....even buying the more expensive exhausts dont guarantee fitment.

I've even seen some JoeZ's with bad fitment, but I'm sure that was from shipping.
Old 05-25-10, 10:46 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
I've even seen some JoeZ's with bad fitment, but I'm sure that was from shipping.
I doubt it.... & I doubt anything happens during shipping... (for us)
- Otherwise I would have heard about it by now.

Now, If your talking tip alignment, then the installer didn't follow the simple directions.

When installed correctly, it will look like so...

Best Regards,

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Another eBay exhaust... opinions?