Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 08:53 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
I'm picking up a used (14k mi.) Eaton M90 off a Grand Prix tomorrow morning. I'll need to hunt down a 2.8 or 2.9" pulley pretty soon, too...

I'm starting to sketch plans now, but it'll probably be the beginning of July before I go full force into it due to other things going on. Any suggestions are most definitely welcome.

I'll probably start a new thread once the project is up and going. Wish me luck in not blowing up my damn engine.
I look forward to starting this project too. Im just brainstorming how were guna do this.

The biggest and hardest thing would be making a box to mount the supercharger on the intake manifold. Or Could we simply take the top part of the intake manifold off then create an aluminum plate (1/4") thick to bolt ontop of the bottom of the intake manifold then cut a hole and place mounting bolts on that plate for the supercharger??

If that's the case then this might be easier than i thought!

http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2408-...num-plate.aspx

Heres a link to show how cheap an aluminum sheet would be... Prob only need 1 sheet of 12x24".

Also, Do you have any ideas on how to mount the throttle body onto the supercharger?

Why would we need colder plugs? And a boost gauge if the ECU will compensate? Sorry im not the best with cars. Hehe i've only been driving for two years but im trying to learn as much as i can!

Gasket material

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-77B-.../dp/B000BWE3VO

Boost gauge

http://prosportgauges.com/60mm_perfo...es_gauges.aspx

Wideband Gauge

http://prosportgauges.com/wideband-a...kit-Amber.aspx

1/4" Aluminum stock

2.8" Pulley

http://www.pulleyboys.com/store/cata...lley-p-35.html

This is the list so far...

Last edited by TLcoats; 06-01-10 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-01-10, 09:58 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

so what math was done to get 6lbs of boost with a 2.8" pulley on an M90? I know that on a GTP its running a 3.8 from factory running ~5-6lbs... a 2.8 on a Grand Prix will close to max it at 15+psi with a willingly modded engine of course. I know a lot of variables come in hand when it comes to how boost is calculated (intake volume etc), but man a full inch drop to get the same 6lbs as a 3.8 from factory sounds nuts BTW, I'm an M90 master (on the GM 3.8 that is, used to be part of my drag car before swapping it out for a Novi) too bad you didnt want one while back.. had a Gen 5 M90 brand new that was ported and polished and powder coated black up for grabs that I literally gave away

Old 06-01-10, 10:03 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

oh and, if you're gonna do a used one, dont fret, all you gotta do is get a rebuild kit for it will cost only as much as you want to put in to it. Just need new bearings for the rotors, hopefully you get one with clean rotors

dont know about anywhere else, but this is where I went for most of my parts for the Drag.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...ts1.php?id=157
Old 06-02-10, 01:41 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
I look forward to starting this project too. Im just brainstorming how were guna do this.

The biggest and hardest thing would be making a box to mount the supercharger on the intake manifold. Or Could we simply take the top part of the intake manifold off then create an aluminum plate (1/4") thick to bolt ontop of the bottom of the intake manifold then cut a hole and place mounting bolts on that plate for the supercharger??

If that's the case then this might be easier than i thought!

Heres a link to show how cheap an aluminum sheet would be... Prob only need 1 sheet of 12x24".
So you plan to cut the intake manifold in half (top half), then weld the joints(edge) to the aluminum plate? It might have to be done that way to give some room for the hood.

I don't know the exact process you will take but you still need to cutout the plate to bolt the m90. So, you will probably want to precut for the m90 and then weld the plate to the halfed intake. ...or draw out the outline and cut the plate then weld later.

or, two/three plates of aluminum, sandwiched (like Mr. Jokster's pic above)...where the middle has cavity for air to move to all cylinder. You can still utilize the oem intake manifold, but in this instance, you would cut as much as you can so you can still bolt it up to the block. It's just that you'll use the three plates to make bolt up easier with clearance to boot.

I hope it happens!

Last edited by sam430; 06-02-10 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-02-10, 06:51 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Frank said a 2.8" pulley would make 6.3 psi?

I planned on making a small litlle box out of alumnum. First the bottom plate witht the wholes leading into the intake manifold into the engine. Then about 1" high side to create a 'box' then put the top plate onto of that with a cutout for the supercharger and holes for bolts and such.

Anybody have any other ideas?
Old 06-02-10, 07:36 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TLCoats: Good work, man! I'd love to be able to stick the M90 on the top of the bottom intake manifold and call it a day, but I think hood clearance will be an issue. I'll size it up and post a pic in a couple hours... For TB location, I've been thinking along these lines: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/441482-post9.html Colder plugs help with detonation (the temps in the cylinder stay lower so combustion happens when it should vs. sooner).

Mr Jokster: Hey, man! I didn't know you used an M90 on your drag car! I got the pulley size from this site: http://www.planetsoarer.com/boost/boost.htm And Scotturknot (sp?), who SC'd his SC400 said a 2.8 or 2.9 sounded about right when I PMd him. I also heard the 3.X" pulley brought like 7psi on the Grand Prix, so I'll keep checking to make sure the info stays consistent. How does the relief valve/butterfly valve underneath work?

Sam430: I agree, if it can't be stuck on top of the bottom manifold, I'll have to have the bottom manifold milled down and a short "sandwich" put on top to make sure the air's evenly disbursed before it gets into the bottom manifold.
Old 06-02-10, 12:38 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Frankdorn

Mr Jokster: Hey, man! I didn't know you used an M90 on your drag car! I got the pulley size from this site: http://www.planetsoarer.com/boost/boost.htm And Scotturknot (sp?), who SC'd his SC400 said a 2.8 or 2.9 sounded about right when I PMd him. I also heard the 3.X" pulley brought like 7psi on the Grand Prix, so I'll keep checking to make sure the info stays consistent. How does the relief valve/butterfly valve underneath work?
wow, must have a lot of volume in the GS intake, boost doesnt like it much lol, If I were you I'd try to do the M112/M90 hybrid to get some more efficiency, I personally dont like the idea of the charger having to work so hard to create low boost, just my opinion. as for the 'bypass' valve, its main function is to recirculate air while you arent at wide open throttle. So in a sense, to make the car more efficient, it "turns off" the supercharger while you are at part throttle and idle. When supercharged, your car will draw vacuum at idle because the throttle body is closed. Vacuum opens the bypass valve so the blower isnt actually compressing air. Now when bypassed, the Eaton will only us 1-2hp. Now once you get on the throttle, vacuum disappears (and boost forms) and the valve closes which allows the intake system to be pressurized. Another function of the bypass valve is to "act" like a blow off valve at high rpm when you're off the throttle. Say you're at 4000+ RPM and you let off the throttle, the engine is still spinning since you now see vacuum (since the throttle is closed), the valve will open back up and vent the compressed air. Oh and the 3.8 I have seen produce up to 8 I believe, those have been know for "factory freaks" apparently the L67 wasnt too consistent with its numbers. The average 1/4 time for an L67 was 15-15.1 off the lot; factory freaks would pull some crazy numbers like 14.7's. In one of my forums theres a guy up in Colorado (where the air is thin) who runs a 15 flat stock would love to see what he does in normal atmosphere

it just hit me You have a 400, I was thinking you had the 300 my bad... numbers make sense now If I were you, I'd opt for the M112 man, M90 too small for that v8. Just my opinion

Might get lucky on some bids

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M112-...item27b224a24c

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-03...item255afbee30

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 06-02-10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 01:04 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

I only have like $875 left in my budget.
Attached Thumbnails What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?-xs-batch-2-001.jpg   What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?-xs-batch-2-002.jpg   What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?-xs-batch-2-003.jpg  
Old 06-02-10, 01:17 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

I would take the upper intake manifold off, but I got other projects I gotta wrap up before I dive into this or I'll turn into one of those guys with a garage full of half-projects. I'd guess around June 8th I'll be able to start playing. I'm very interested to know whether the hood will clear or not. If it doesn't...by like an inch or so...you know what? I once accidentally dented a guys truck with a rogue baseball. I think once that hoodliner's out, and a hood brace or two is cut, I need to find me a baseball.

Mr Jokster: So the bypass valve will go through my adapter into the intake -- that's what I was thinking, but thank you for the confirmation. Like I say, I'm new at this. The vacuum-driven butterfly valve I'm not sure how to control yet -- there's like 3 vac lines going to/around just that. Plus the vac lines for the OEM intake...that'll take some figuring out to plan what goes where in the new setup. Anyone have a detailed diagram naming functions in the M90 from a Grand Prix GTP?

K&N FIPK will be for sale in the next couple weeks...
Old 06-02-10, 01:35 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I have them all I'll be right back ...
Old 06-02-10, 01:37 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Here you go sir.
Attached Thumbnails What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?-98-and-up-vacuum-diagram.jpg   What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?-97-gtp-vacuum-diagram.jpg  
Old 06-02-10, 01:43 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Oh if you dont know already... Anything smaller than 2.8" pulley you will have to machine the snout down, I think 2.8 fits not sure. Let me know if you need info on that, I know a place near you to 'rent' the tool to do it yourself and save a buck oh and I recommend getting a modular pulley on there cause pressons are a biatch to work with
Old 06-02-10, 02:00 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Good work man! I tried taking off the top intake manifold today to mock up some cutouts to be put onto aluminum but couldnt figure it out. As i was looking around the engine i saw that the water pump would be in the way of the serpentine belt and supercharger snout!? Also the throttle body is rather wide, so wide that it would be pretty difficult to find a spot for it? Also the wires coming off the throttle body what would we do with those? Sorry for all the questions im just excited to start this!
Old 06-02-10, 02:13 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Also the wires coming off the throttle body what would we do with those? Sorry for all the questions im just excited to start this!
Are you asking as if they are to short? It would be just a matter of cutting and splicing some extra length to them.
Old 06-02-10, 02:17 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Are you asking as if they are to short? It would be just a matter of cutting and splicing some extra length to them.
Yes, They would be too short since you have to relocate the whole TB system.

Also, the water pump seems to be in the way of where the supercharger belt would be?

Quick Reply: What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?