Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 08:12 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Yep, those are another nice option but for a budget and the boost goals mentioned, I still go back to my original statement of no cooler, simple and cheap.
oh yea, cant argue with that. But i'm wondering if the M90 is gonna generate any unwanted heat while spinning so fast? Boost may not be an issue as far as knock, if heat is generated in there, well we all know the story
Old 06-02-10, 08:12 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, those are another nice option but for a budget and the boost goals mentioned, I still go back to my original statement of no cooler, simple and cheap.
Yep, I would have to agree,... design it with no cooler in mind and hood clearance in mind.

You can alway install an external intercooler (pre-intake).
Old 06-02-10, 08:14 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
oh yea, cant argue with that. But i'm wondering if the M90 is gonna generate any unwanted heat while spinning so fast? Boost may not be an issue as far as knock, if heat is generated in there, well we all know the story
Would it be better to cool it at that point or from the intake? Anyone have an answer or know the answer? I don't need source I trust yall.
Old 06-02-10, 08:16 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sam430
Yep, I would have to agree,... design it with no cooler in mind and hood clearance in mind.

You can alway install an external intercooler (pre-intake).
external intercooler? Pre-intake? the only type of cooler that will actually work with a roots or twin screw are those that sandwich between the charger and intake.
Old 06-02-10, 08:20 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Would it be better to cool it at that point or from the intake? Anyone have an answer or know the answer? I don't need source I trust yall.
IIRC, if you're cooling the air before it enters the charger, it defeats the purpose because of the friction that can be created in the charger. <---- that i cant confirm, but theres a reason you cant cool it on the way in, maybe the other guys can answer... as I await their response, I'll get the answer, its in my notes Gotta take notes while you learn yea?
Old 06-02-10, 08:22 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

ok, just confirmed yea, I was correct with my last statement
Old 06-02-10, 08:31 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

IIRC, if you're cooling the air before it enters the charger, it defeats the purpose because of the friction that can be created in the charger. <---- that i cant confirm, but theres a reason you cant cool it on the way in, maybe the other guys can answer... as I await their response, I'll get the answer, its in my notes Gotta take notes while you learn yea?
Ahhh... so much for this then LOL. Then the only way is the tools you linked or Scott's radiator design. I guess we go back to only 6lb of boost.

Did I mention I know nothing about FI? But then again, Scott's design cools the incoming air too and not the charger itself?

Last edited by sam430; 06-02-10 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 08:36 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

ha ha, you cool.. I asked the same question during the building of my other car cause I wanted to have a FMIC... But now I have a Paxton so I get to have one I think your idea works to a small extent, but not significant enough to make a difference.
Old 06-02-10, 08:44 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

... I think your idea works to a small extent, but not significant enough to make a difference.
I'll take you word/notes for it but this was my reasoning for coming up with the idea.

1)Well, on a cool day, the car produces more power. Eventhough the engine is hot.

2) As cool air enters the chamber, I don't think the supercharger have enough time to heat the incoming air. The supercharger will be prone to be less reliable but not heat the incoming air. (Speculative)
Old 06-02-10, 08:50 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cooling shouldnt be too big of an issue with the m90 since its a pretty conservative and reliable supercharger.

I am going to take the top of the intake manifold off this weekend and take a bunch of pics and measurements then post them back up. I started to take it apart today but then realized i wouldnt be able to get it done so i put things back together.

Theres a few ways we could do this.(Of course this is just a brainstorm without actually seeing the inside of the intake manifold.)

Option A

We could simply unbolt the top pieces of the intake manifold then cut out a plate of 1/4" thick aluminum to cover the intake manifold. Then cut out a small square section(Size needed for outlet of supercharger) section and drill bolt holes needed for the supercharger into this plate. Attach plate using a custom gasket to bottom half of intake manifold... (If clearence is an issue we could mill down the bottom half of the intake manifold at a machine shop)

Option B

We could simply remove the whole intake manifold, And create a custom aluminum intake box 'box' with the eight holes on the bottom piece feeding into the engine then about 1-2" tall sides creating a rectangular box then the top piece the same as stated above. This will DEFINATELY help with hood clearence since the intake manifold will be completey removed. BUT! This will require much more work and probably a new fuel rail and the such.( I am not quite sure if this IS needed or not since i havent taken it apart yet, But im assuming it will be) Also this box on the bottom could have a triangle jutting up from the middle to help distibute air evenly to either side of the engine.

This is what i have so far. As far as hooking the intake up to the supercharger we simply need to create a curved pipe Prob. 160* Degrees with one end butting up firmly and evenly against the supercharger then the other end about a 3" opening to attach the throttle body assembly too. The only problem i see with this is connecting the wires and fluids to the throttle body since its going to be moved from its original location.

Then from the throttle body we could custom fab some intake tubes from aluminum pipes, and a custom spot for the MAF sensor then lead the tubes to the stock filter location. Of course we could also add little bugs to hook up all the vacuum lines and the such!!

This is what i have in mind so far..
Old 06-02-10, 08:51 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think either the sandwich or meth/water injection would be the best options, but to start I'm going with no intercooler first... Can always add one later.

You know, two transmission oil coolers, some rubber line, and a pump...just need a tray milled for the SC's cooler to lay in...and make the tray out of a 3/4" thick gasket like material to reduce heat-soak from the engine...

Last edited by Frankdorn; 06-02-10 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 08:55 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But then again, Scott's design cools the incoming air too and not the charger itself?
Mine cools the output of the charger. Its a small water cooler under the charger that air is forced thru. Water is circulated thru it via pump and ran thru the water cooler in front. I wont say cooling air before super charger wont help at all, I guess colder air might get heated less but ultimatly the air is heated when compressed and that is what we want to avoid.

The cheapest way to overcome the heat is a simple boost triggered Methonal injection set up, this works well, I have a set up to add with my high boost application. There guys pumping a lot more boost and just adding the meth to make it work.
Old 06-02-10, 08:57 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

FYI, I saw some intake with maf adapter for cheap...no need to fab... I just forgot where

but from the supercharger ... that will take some creativity... may be possible to use exising adapter and mate it to a tube with some rubber hose. It won't be pretty though.
Old 06-02-10, 08:59 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Mine cools the output of the charger. Its a small water cooler under the charger that air is forced thru. Water is circulated thru it via pump and ran thru the water cooler in front. I wont say cooling air before super charger wont help at all, I guess colder air might get heated less but ultimatly the air is heated when compressed and that is what we want to avoid.

The cheapest way to overcome the heat is a simple boost triggered Methonal injection set up, this works well, I have a set up to add with my high boost application. There guys pumping a lot more boost and just adding the meth to make it work.

Yes... thanks, I forgot about the compressed air.
Old 06-02-10, 09:01 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you take that intake off you may get a surprise, The VVT-I intakes I seen have 8 individual butterflies in the runners, I dont know what they do nor if they could be eliminated, this was a SC motor but if you have them too you may have a challenge.

Quick Reply: What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?