Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 09:01 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?

I've heard the Mustang Cobra's Eaton is good... What about the Eaton M90 that came factory on GMs 3.8L engine (like in the GranPrix GTP, Buick Regal GS, or Bonneville SSEi)? Or the Ecotec supercharger out of a Cobalt?

Thinking about a budget supercharger setup around 6 PSI. Of course mileage/condition is a concern with any supercharger, I'm just looking for models/years of supercharged cars that might be best suited for pulling an SC from for this type of project... Looking on Craigslist/eBay, I see a few used SCs around $200...just gotta machine the mount and get a new belt...

Last edited by Frankdorn; 05-28-10 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-27-10, 09:32 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look on lextremes web site they have all the info you need but m112 is what i have seen.
Old 05-30-10, 11:33 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

I've done a LOT of reading on this over the weekend...and am very much considering persuing a project. Here's my thoughts/plans -- experts, please chime in.

Eaton M90 supercharger
  • Sourced from a Grand Prix GTP, Bonneville SSEi, Regal GS, or Thunderbird SuperCoupe. Used but in good shape, ~$200
2.8" pulley to achieve ~6.3psiOEM 1uz w/ VVTi intake manifold to work on
  • Hopefully cheap!! Anywhere between free and $200 I suppose...
Longer serpentine belt
  • ~$25
I have access to a machine shop, which is where the bulk of the work (and $ savings) would take place.
  • Remove the top half of manifold and recycle.
  • Mill the sides of the bottom half down for better hood clearance.
  • Trace the outline of the newly-milled top onto 3/8" aluminum plate including intake runner hole locations. Also drill mounting holes.
  • Take to professional welder ($150) to connect the two cleanly.
  • Add sides and add a top plate for the supercharger to bolt to.
  • Fab about a 170º elbow to connect the intake pipe (~$50) to the back of the supercharger and hook the throttlebody and MAF sensor onto that.
Staying at ~6psi, I shouldn't need any other mods (engine management, Walbro, injectors, etc), as the ECU should learn to compensate for the change. And, my tranny stays safe. Hopefully I wouldn't need to put a bulge in my hood, but if I had to I wouldn't hate it! Still wondering about an intercooler...under or behind the supercharger.

This guy did kind of what I'm thinking:

http://www.candmnovelties.com/pages/page3new.htm

This guy DID what I'm thinking, on a 1uz, BUT with non-VVTi heads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...r-project.html

And...

http://www.planetsoarer.com/supercha...al/JimRoal.htm

And...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...on-sc-pic.html

Thoughts?

Last edited by Frankdorn; 05-31-10 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-31-10, 01:53 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

so you are going to buy a junk intake manifold, gut a square shape on top of the manifold. Weld, an adapter to the used manifold...then attach the supercharger to the adapter?

sounds good!

please add pictures.

also, isn't there another version of charger that is slimmer but also produce more force at lower rotation? That should give better clearance to the hood and also runs cooler at higher PSI.

Last edited by sam430; 05-31-10 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-31-10, 02:29 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

I might be interested in persuing this too! So let me get this right, you could put a supercharger on a GS for less than a Grand? It doesnt seem that difficult to do.

Im guna be watching closely becuase i am definately interested to do this as well!
Old 05-31-10, 02:54 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind. Putting the hardware is only half the equation in these cars. The other half that's even more difficult(for most people) is the fueling, electronics, and tuning.
Old 05-31-10, 03:23 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Keep in mind. Putting the hardware is only half the equation in these cars. The other half that's even more difficult(for most people) is the fueling, electronics, and tuning.
If you keep the boost low (6psi) wouldnt the ECU compensate enough? If not what would be needed. Piggyback and bigger injectors?
Old 05-31-10, 04:18 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Sam430: Yup! But I'll try to find a charger is really nice shape. I'm talking to a guy now about one with 12,000 miles on it and a fresh oil change. There are actually several versions of the Eaton -- you might be thinking of the M62 which came on Chevy Cobalt SSs. Not bad, but they're typically for smaller-displacement engines (ie. 4-cyl). M112's are bigger, and also not bad, but they're less efficient. The M90's seem to be kind of the sweet spot.

TLCoats: That's what its lookin' like... After selling my K&N FIPK, I doubt I'd net more than even $500 total cost. Crazy. A little unnerving even. But then again, there's a lot of labor involved. I'm budgeting $1,000 for obvious reasons.

I would almost definitely need upgraded injectors, fuel pump, and likely a piggyback for 8+psi.

JeffTsai: I would completely agree…if I was running 8psi or more, which is why I’m sticking to 6, because I’m just not that car savvy, and I don’t have the time to tinker with it too often. Man, if you could swing on up to Wisconsin, lets grab a couple beers and go over this, eh?

I need to bolt on and be done, so it has to be well-planned, thorough, and simple. I’d plan to install a wideband and boost gauge, as well as a Neo or SAFC2, which or course would need to be dyno-tuned. That should be about it… I could definitely use your input, though, despite this being a “simple” project. I don’t want to take that fact for granted and blow my motor up!
Old 05-31-10, 04:55 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

reference:

Last edited by sam430; 06-01-10 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-31-10, 09:18 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Im Amped! Lets do this. Things seem pretty easy except for the intake manifold. How would we get it to work?
Old 06-01-10, 05:15 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

That's what I'm thinkin', Sam! In truth, mine wouldn't look as OEM, but I'm good with that. I'm meeting a guy to look at the supercharger today...
Old 06-01-10, 09:01 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome stuff right here Keep us updated on this Frank
Old 06-01-10, 09:41 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
That's what I'm thinkin', Sam! In truth, mine wouldn't look as OEM, but I'm good with that. I'm meeting a guy to look at the supercharger today...
Who cares about the look lol, I'm interested to see the result. I Especially want to see the pic of the adapter welded onto oem intake mani.
Old 06-01-10, 08:01 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Any updates Frank? This seems like it is a good idea, im just wondering why nobody has done this before. Also where would all the vacuum hoses that connect around the intake mani go?
Old 06-01-10, 08:36 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

I'm picking up a used (14k mi.) Eaton M90 off a Grand Prix tomorrow morning. I'll need to hunt down a 2.8 or 2.9" pulley pretty soon, too...and a wideband gauge, a boost gauge, an Apexi Neo or SAFC2, one step colder plugs, and gasket material. And 1/4-1/2" aluminum stock.

TLCoats: I don't know yet to be honest. I'm also wondering about the bypass valve and how that gets plumbed. There are enough resources I plan to hit up for some info. Probably would be a bad idea to solicit advice on the Lextreme board as well...

Sam430: Yeah, I was also pondering the importance of appearance in this whole thing. I'd love to chrome plate the SC and the custom manifold, but its not a show car. Granted I'll keep it as clean as I can, but eat-off-the-engine clean isn't something I even pretend to have time to maintain. So, I'm with you -- function before beauty. I'll keep it respectable, though.

I'm starting to sketch plans now, but it'll probably be the beginning of July before I go full force into it due to other things going on. (I'll probably start a new thread once the project is up and going.) Until then, any suggestions are MUCH appreciated!

I'd say the interesting/unique part about my project is the budget -- married with children, and a quickly growing sense of financial responsibility, doesn't leave a ton of room (with what I make) to blow $10k on an extra 100hp. So I plan to do it for less than $1,000. That's the objective: 6psi, reliable, under $1,000.

Wish me luck in not blowing up my damn engine.

Last edited by Frankdorn; 06-01-10 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: What OEM superchargers are best to fit on a GS?