Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY: 2009 Lexus IS 250 - JOE Z INTAKE (D-AFI)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 07:02 AM
cyberscorp
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Yes, that's the one. In fact, I just checked under my engine cover after getting back from work today, and the vacuum tube had come completely off. I wonder if that could explain the slightly underwhelming amount of power I felt like the car was producing.

I'll need to go to Lowe's tomorrow or something and find something to stick that thing down more firmly.
That clip should hold the hose securely. However, It might have been stretched when you uninstall/removed it . . . ?

I'm interested to see the end result of your fix. Please post some pics when you get it done.
Old 10-02-12, 07:26 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first picture shows the intake before the fix. It's not completely clear, but you can kinda tell that the vacuum hose is loose. It's just hanging on to the edge of the intake pipe's nipple here, and later it would fall completely off, like I said. (While I'm posting that, does the pipe look like it's installed crooked or anything? I think it's ok, but I'm wondering if a bad install could have been the cause of my problem.)

The second pic shows my hokey, hackey fix, heh. I just took a screw, a bunch of flat washers, and a wing nut and created a device that would separate the ends of the clamp to tighten it on the hose. It's not the prettiest solution... but it seems to work.

... I'm still not entirely sure of the purpose of that vacuum hose. I just hope I didn't do any damage to the engine by sucking in dirty, unfiltered air or anything for the past day or so.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: 2009 Lexus IS 250 - JOE Z INTAKE (D-AFI)-imag0130.jpg   DIY: 2009 Lexus IS 250 - JOE Z INTAKE (D-AFI)-imag0132.jpg  
Old 10-03-12, 07:29 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also just get a small hose clamp at auto parts store and use that instead.
Old 10-03-12, 07:43 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

one of the best write ups,,, (def top 5) i've seen here. you should do this for a living..,
Old 10-03-12, 10:58 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4cyl
You could also just get a small hose clamp at auto parts store and use that instead.
Yeah, a new clamp was my Plan A, but I couldn't find anything suitable in the limited time I had at Lowes. I wasn't willing to wait until later in the week when I could make another trip there or to Autozone or something since I wasn't sure what kind of damage I may have been doing to my engine. So I went to Plan B and implemented this makeshift solution that night.

... Main downside is that I increased the weight of my car by a good 20 grams or so.
Old 10-04-12, 01:09 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, a new clamp was my Plan A, but I couldn't find anything suitable in the limited time I had at Lowes. I wasn't willing to wait until later in the week when I could make another trip there or to Autozone or something since I wasn't sure what kind of damage I may have been doing to my engine. So I went to Plan B and implemented this makeshift solution that night.

... Main downside is that I increased the weight of my car by a good 20 grams or so.
Try rotating the intake pipe counterclockwise so there's less tension on the vacuum hose. When I installed mine, I noticed that the hose wasn't tight on the intake pipe, so I rotated it so the hole of the connector was pointing down at the engine. I slipped the hose back on and it's been nice and snug on there ever since.
Old 10-04-12, 11:14 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I tried repositioning and rotating the hose before I did this when I noticed that the hinge in the hose was pulling on it. There was no position I could find that would work. It was just way too loose.

Even if something did work, though, I'm sure this is more secure. It's on there pretty snug right now, so all should be well. But thanks for the tip.
Old 10-05-12, 11:12 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Yeah, I tried repositioning and rotating the hose before I did this when I noticed that the hinge in the hose was pulling on it. There was no position I could find that would work. It was just way too loose.

Even if something did work, though, I'm sure this is more secure. It's on there pretty snug right now, so all should be well. But thanks for the tip.
Yeah we have noticed this happen from time to time... Very rare...

The spring clamp sometimes just needs to be bent tighter before re- installing...

Also, one of these mini 1" hose clamps will do the trick is well.. If your spring clamp isn't working properly..

Easily found @ Lowes or Home Depot..

~ Joe Z
Old 05-16-13, 01:43 PM
keyur246
Driver

Talking

I just installed my Joe-Z intake today, it sounds a little more aggressive past 3000 rpms

Before:

After:
Old 05-16-13, 02:30 PM
keyur246
Driver

I just realized that I lose one of the rubber stoppers from under the engine bay cover, must've fell into the engine bay when I took the cover off to install the intake.

It's not those plastic clips that are on the rest of the cover, but the rubber ones.

I tried searching everywhere but couldn't find an answer, I'm hoping someone can help me out!
Old 09-23-13, 08:54 AM
xZhongChen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for this guide! I installed the JoeZ pipe with ease thanks for your instructions! I feel a little more torque, gas pedal is LOADS lighter, with better fuel economy I think. =)