Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is the Apexi AFC Neo right for my GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 08:16 PM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the Apexi AFC Neo right for my GS?

Hey guys so my car has been running really rich for awhile now. I was advised to buy an Apexi AFC Neo to try to help with my engine management. After I got it I was told that the AFC Neo was not the best option for my setup and that I should probably go with something else but nothing else has been recommended yet. He said that the AFC Neo worked at first but then had problems staying programmed correctly. Has anyone heard of this or other issues related to the AFC Neo in the GS300? I heard that the Haltech is very good as well.

A little about my setup:
1998 GS300
HKS Rotrex Super charger
SRT Intake

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-10, 08:34 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Neo is good for the basic I/H/E. Since your supercharged I'll get a standalone.

Originally Posted by Automan
Hey guys so my car has been running really rich for awhile now. I was advised to buy an Apexi AFC Neo to try to help with my engine management. After I got it I was told that the AFC Neo was not the best option for my setup and that I should probably go with something else but nothing else has been recommended yet. He said that the AFC Neo worked at first but then had problems staying programmed correctly. Has anyone heard of this or other issues related to the AFC Neo in the GS300? I heard that the Haltech is very good as well.

A little about my setup:
1998 GS300
HKS Rotrex Super charger
SRT Intake

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-10, 08:49 PM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kevin.tran
Neo is good for the basic I/H/E. Since your supercharged I'll get a standalone.
Can you recommend a specific brand and model number? Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-11-10, 05:09 AM
Burton
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do not want to go full stand alone we have had good luck with the AEM F/IC in our shop turbo IS300. It takes some work to get it right and you have to use it to trick the O2 sensors so the computer doesn't re-learn. It is just something you should look in to as it is close to the same price range as the NEO and has much more functionality.

Ben
Old 06-11-10, 08:23 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

I agree with kevin.tran and Burton. If standalone is possible for you, I would strongly consider it. But at minimum do the FIC or Greddy EMU. I am running the FIC with success on my GS. Its not perfect but at cruise and WOT my AFRs are locked in. On partial throttle though in higher RPMs though,when it sees boost, my AFRs go pig rich (9-10:1). But I'm almost certain that is standard with a piggy back, can anyone confirm that for me? I can't confirm off the top of my head.

BTW Automan, I remember discussing this with you through PM when you had your SC installed, but just curious, are you running an aftermarket header or stock header?
Old 06-11-10, 09:28 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mex lex
I agree with kevin.tran and Burton. If standalone is possible for you, I would strongly consider it. But at minimum do the FIC or Greddy EMU. I am running the FIC with success on my GS. Its not perfect but at cruise and WOT my AFRs are locked in. On partial throttle though in higher RPMs though,when it sees boost, my AFRs go pig rich (9-10:1). But I'm almost certain that is standard with a piggy back, can anyone confirm that for me? I can't confirm off the top of my head.

BTW Automan, I remember discussing this with you through PM when you had your SC installed, but just curious, are you running an aftermarket header or stock header?
Stock header... Thanks for the info
Old 06-11-10, 09:47 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Automan
Stock header... Thanks for the info
How is the stock header holding up w/ the SC?

Oh and I have 30-1910 AEM FIC btw.