Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2010 IS250 Performance Upgrade HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 02:23 PM
KPinCS15
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 IS250 Performance Upgrade HELP!

I just bought the 2010 250. fallen in love with the car. unfortunatly, i guess you cant put turbos or SCs on them because the compression ratio is already fairly high for the stock engine. or something like that. other than adding a cold air intake, and modding the chip, what else is a good way to improve HP? i do want to put better exhaust on it. i would prefer true dual exhaust, and nothing real loud. tryin to make it seem as much of a sleeper as i can. Cops in HI HATE modded cars. anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-11-10, 02:41 PM
KPinCS15
Driver

oh, and what brands are reccomended...
Old 06-11-10, 02:42 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Hate to say it, but the 250 will never be a sleeper. No real performance mod's to gain much of anything. Best bet: IS350 or IS-F.
Old 06-11-10, 02:48 PM
KPinCS15
Driver

haha, true. im not lookin to make it a 10s car or anything. just a tid bit more power. little more bite. by sleeper, i mean that i dont want some rat can on the back of my car that you can hear from 5 miles away. the cops here are douches. that and something like that sounds gay. i cant find anything though. not even performance chips. which i hear is the best bang for your buck. so any suggestion would be helpful. maybe even ways to make the car lighter?
Old 06-11-10, 03:00 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KPinCS15
I just bought the 2010 250. fallen in love with the car. unfortunatly, i guess you cant put turbos or SCs on them because the compression ratio is already fairly high for the stock engine. or something like that. other than adding a cold air intake, and modding the chip, what else is a good way to improve HP? i do want to put better exhaust on it. i would prefer true dual exhaust, and nothing real loud. tryin to make it seem as much of a sleeper as i can. Cops in HI HATE modded cars. anyone have any suggestions?
there is no "mod chip". no one outside of toyota motors has been able to crack the ECU code, and nothing on the market can "trick" the ECU (iirc, it will self-correct/compensate over time?).

as far as your options for intake and exhaust systems, there is a bit more selection. continue reading through some of the threads in here and you'll learn.
Old 06-11-10, 04:45 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the mods are feel good mods decent amount of suspension mods. Although you can't go much faster in a straight line you can help it go faster in turns and handle better. Intakes and exhausts can help but not too much.
Old 06-11-10, 05:30 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Turn the ECU to Power mode.
Old 06-11-10, 08:33 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Any chance you can return it?

Because for ~$4000 more you can add 102 hp by buying an IS350 instead.

otherwise you can spend ~$3000 on intake, exhaust, and headers and add about 30 hp. Which is pretty much the maximum gain you'll get on an IS250, will make the car considerably louder, and seems like not as good a deal compared to the +102 for 4k.

As noted there's nothing you can "chip" on the car, anybody trying to sell you one is ripping you off.
Old 06-11-10, 10:19 PM
KPinCS15
Driver

i can return the car, but i dont have the extra funds to spend on the 350. i did before i bought the car, but not anymore. but its ok. ill figure something out. I did just buy a borla exhaust for it. they took the little cats off and the resonator and made it a true dual exhaust. nothing but borla muffler now fact of the matter is youre right Kurtz. It sounds louder, and meaner, but faster... no. im getting my intake tomorrow. any suggestions? i eventually want to get carbon fiber hood and trunk lid, and replace the wheels with lighter ones so i can free up a few pounds. then ill look into getting some better suspension stuff and getting it lowered an inch or two. penny for your thoughts?
Old 06-13-10, 04:38 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i can return the car, but i dont have the extra funds to spend on the 350. i did before i bought the car, but not anymore. but its ok. ill figure something out. I did just buy a borla exhaust for it. they took the little cats off and the resonator and made it a true dual exhaust. nothing but borla muffler now fact of the matter is youre right Kurtz. It sounds louder, and meaner, but faster... no. im getting my intake tomorrow. any suggestions? i eventually want to get carbon fiber hood and trunk lid, and replace the wheels with lighter ones so i can free up a few pounds. then ill look into getting some better suspension stuff and getting it lowered an inch or two. penny for your thoughts?

IMHO the single best 'I can actually notice an improvement" mod you can make to any ISx50 is the F-sport sway bars.

As to intake, depend if you want sound or value.

The Joe Z adds about 5 hp, and is about $129... great value... but pretty quiet (bit louder than stock, that's it).

A short-ram intake is $300-500, might lose you hp in some conditions, but makes a lot of noise.

The compromise is the F-sport, which isn't quite as loud as a short ram, but functionally is pretty much a Joe Z so it'll add a couple hp... but it's $300 on sale.

You can cut a hole in your stock lower airbox to make it look like an F-sport, slap on the Joe Z pipe, and you'll get best of both worlds for sound and value if you want.
Old 06-13-10, 11:45 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to check out PPE Engineering for their IS250 headers, I'm thinking around eight to nine hundred for them ceramic coated and fully functional.

But frankly the IS250 with all the mods is just a great handling car.

Light weight wheels will make a difference, not huge but notable.
Old 06-14-10, 02:13 AM
KPinCS15
Driver

nice, thanks XhyDra! ive been wanting to get some lighter wheels. i have the premium wheels on it now, but im SURE they are heavy. plus, i can probably hang onto them and sell them on ebay or something and get SOME money back. ill check out PPE Engineering right now.
Old 06-14-10, 02:40 AM
KPinCS15
Driver

checked out the PPE Engineering. I sent them an email because the header is listed under the IS350. matter of fact, they dont even have products for the 250 listed. So im waiting for them to shoot me an email back. Ill let everyone know once i hear from them.
Old 06-14-10, 09:42 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They make headers already for the 250, someone has been driving around with them for a little while, but there's not much for the word on when production will begin.
Old 06-14-10, 11:35 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You're welcome, if you really want to try and push for performance gain mods your list should consist of;

Intake
- F-Sport
- Joe-Z w/ high flow filter

Headers
- PPE Engineering (Ceramic Coated)
- Mazzuri Headers (Two members are selling I believe)
Needs 02 extenders and possibly ceramic coating

You already have a full exhaust I believe.

And last but not least weight reduction. No spare and lighter wheels.

In the above mentioned you're looking at 1600-2000.
All depending on who you buy it from and weather or not you'll be doing instalation.

One last thing, as Kurtz mentioned you're looking at about a 30hp max increase out of all these mods, I've spoken to members here on CL and on my.IS and they confirm that with the above modifications, particularly the headers there is an increase in power and off the line take off. Not dramatic but quote notable. One perfect example would be the memeber Gernby witch did a header install in his AWD 2IS with Mazzuri headers, and I believe shaved off 0.3-0.4 tenths of a second off his 1/4 mile. It's really going to be up to you to decide witch route you want to take. But whatever you do choose let us know your experience and results.

Last edited by XhyDra; 06-14-10 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 IS250 Performance Upgrade HELP!