Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which Sounds Better: Invidia or Megan Midpipes for Lexus HKS Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 11:38 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Sounds Better: Invidia or Megan Midpipes for Lexus HKS Exhaust

I have the Lexus HKS Exhaust and I am looking for a more aggressive sound.

I was thinking about getting a midpipe for a more aggressive tone and i was wondering which one would sound better, the megan or invidia.

Does anyone have any videos of these combos.

Can anyone reccomend a better exhaust/mid-pipe combo that would be more aggressive but not ricey. I like more of a raspy/throughty tone, (like a more aggressive g35 if i had to compare)
Old 06-23-10, 12:03 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you're not going to get anywhere near the g35 exhaust acoustics w/ the 2is. short of trading in your 2is for a g35, it's physically impossible.

between the two, unless the physical dimensions/designs are significantly different, they both will probably do the same thing - and thus have the same acoustic properties.
Old 06-23-10, 12:32 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

i havn't heard both in person, just some videos on youtube. but the Invidia mid pipes sound more raspy than megan ones (imo too raspy that it sounds too ricy) but again thats just recordings.

someone here on the forums made a post about how he switched out his invidia's for megans and liked the tone better.
Old 06-23-10, 06:41 PM
zeuolaxxx
Pole Position

honestly if you are looking for a more aggressive sound........ you should sell your Lexus HKS Exhaust to MEEEEEE and buy the F-Sport Exhaust...
Old 06-23-10, 06:49 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zeuolaxxx
honestly if you are looking for a more aggressive sound........ you should sell your Lexus HKS Exhaust to MEEEEEE and buy the F-Sport Exhaust...
its the same thing i believe
Old 06-23-10, 06:56 PM
zeuolaxxx
Pole Position

the F-Sport Exhaust sounds wayyy more aggressive than the Lexus HKS Exhaust
Old 06-23-10, 06:57 PM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gizbx4
its the same thing i believe
I believe it is the same exhaust I was going to say I have a vid up her of my f-sport and megan from a launch. The vid is only like 9 sec but its straight to the point.
Old 06-24-10, 07:23 PM
zeuolaxxx
Pole Position

gizbx4 you got PM!!!
Old 06-24-10, 08:05 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Megan OS exhaust with Invidia midpipes.

Review:

Full Megan OS exhaust is about as mild as the Tanabe axleback, only difference would be a deeper undertone at idle-4k rpm.

I switched to the Invidia midpipes with the Megan OS mufflers and this is by far the best sounding exhaust I've had on this car yet. But 10x's louder than the full Megan OS. Very clean and mean, but not for everyone.

Megan = Upgraded OEM sound, NO drone, Very classy and quiet. You can not even tell you have an exhaust with the windows up. Windows down and a nice quiet rumble.

Megan Mids - Nice quiet, better flow 2.25 to 2.25 Ypipe into huge muffler
Invidia - Loud, even better flow 2.5 to 3inch Ypipe.

Megan/Invidia mids = Mean!! Louder than the HKS exhaust's but lots better sounding. No drone! (to my suprise) the HKS drones like crazy. It will rattle the dash at full throttle and sounds like trumpet's screaming at the exhaust godzz. Windows up you know you have an exhaust but only about 30% throttle other than that no diff.

Last edited by HKS350; 06-24-10 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-26-10, 08:29 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

I've looked into this and I've narrowed it down to two options since my IS350 also has the Lexus HKS exhuast.

I could create a custom midpipe to delete the secondary cats and make them true duals with a x-section to tune the exhaust pulses. I really doubt anthing will be proper bolt to fit replacement of a center pipe so I'm making my own with SS 304 16 gauge piping.

Or take a dremel to the crossover pipe in the right side muffler and remove the tube that protrudes into the piping which is a non-reversable mod. (note: for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about search the thread about F-sport and Lexus HKS exhaust that I've created in the 2IS performance)
Old 07-22-10, 10:05 AM
Split
Rookie

Exclamation

the megan mid-pipes sound better in every application, and being that the car is naturally aspirated you're not going to gain anything by going to the larger invidia mid-pipe. please post a video of the lexus hks w/ megan mid-pipes because that's my dream exhaust set-up! once you have that set-up you wont care whether or not it sounds like a G35 -- its going to sound a whole lot better. I know because I have one
Old 07-22-10, 01:09 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Split
the megan mid-pipes sound better in every application, and being that the car is naturally aspirated you're not going to gain anything by going to the larger invidia mid-pipe. please post a video of the lexus hks w/ megan mid-pipes because that's my dream exhaust set-up! once you have that set-up you wont care whether or not it sounds like a G35 -- its going to sound a whole lot better. I know because I have one
will do !! lol i didnt really know how to explain in words the sound i wanted and thats the only way i could figure id describe it. definitly dont want it to sound exactly like a g35 ... im going to try and get the megan mids asap hopefully along with some fsport sways lol
Old 07-22-10, 01:47 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5yxEqR4_k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CdgJQgeJFg
Old 07-22-10, 01:51 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

those are good videos, but he has the Lexus HKS exhaust, not the HKS Hi power exhaust. two completely different exhaust system. the hi power ones are a bit louder.
Old 07-22-10, 02:02 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

i figure it would give him an idea maybe he should look at the ones with fsport exhaust might give him a closer sound to the lexus hks

Quick Reply: Which Sounds Better: Invidia or Megan Midpipes for Lexus HKS Exhaust