Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So who here tracks thier IS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 03:51 AM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raralith
OK, thanks for the advice. I think I'll definately hit the track a few times, and continue from there. As for beginning track courses, any suggestions for Southern California/Los Angeles? I was thinking of taking:
- Speed Ventures July 31st, August 1st
- Button Willow Performance Driving Clinic on August 21st
I was going to post this on the regional specific but I'd like to know if anyone else has tried these or other courses on their IS 350 too.
HEY!!! I'm going to the July 31st one on buttonwillow. that day there will be a white group(beginner), so you can learn the track and see what is tracking looks like. I will be running Black group, so if you are going, you can ride with me for few laps and learn the line and stuff.
let me know if you are going
Nick
Old 07-20-10, 06:59 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carLx
The weight distribution in the IS350 is 52/48 F/R
Nevertheless, fortunately for your case, the IS350 is far closer to 50/50 weight distribution than your A4 (assuming your supposition that the A4's distribution is closer to 60/40 is correct).
Thanks,carLx,
Sounds like you have a good understanding of vehicle dynamics, so will make a point to go read more of your posts...

At 52/48, I admit the gains at this point would be negligible, other than just attempting to maximize/equalize the tires limits of adhesion on all four corners. Redistribution of mass (arm and moment) pivoting on the vertical axis is going far deeper than I will obviously wish to take this car. (I keep tellin myself to stop messing with my DD and go get an old RX7, Miata or Rabbit for real [and cheap] track fun...yeash)

The staggered wheels have to come into play as well, as the smaller front footprint will also help the nose break loose first (exaggerating the F/R ratio), right? Wonder if anyone has put the same size rubber on all four corners expressly for their performance setup...

peace
Vince

Oh Audi was actually 58/42 .....hated it for that...
Old 07-20-10, 07:21 AM
ISFSPORT10
Driver School Candidate

Just finished first track day with the new car. Did Homestead with Chin. Previous experience was 3 days with my Audi S5. Absolutely melted the stock pads on the S5 and vowed that when I got my IS350 I would get the BBK. Car has every F-sport Item with exception of Intake which is going to be added at a later date. The IS really tracked well and had several cars mirror driving in front of me. other then one really scary spin on the infamous turn 10 the car and its brakes performed flawlessly. I put almost 130 miles at the track and was out for one session for almost 50 minutes with zero fade on a track known as a brake beater. Unfortunetely I should have took the advice to get a more aggressive alignment as my PS2's are cupped and rounded and make a terrible noise when the wheel is pounted anywhere but straight. Also brake pads are a little worn. I will be mounted a set of R Compounds like Toyo's or Nitto's on 18 inch wheels for track days as well as putting some performance friction pads on front that are alittle more aggressive. Any questions ask away!!!
Old 07-20-10, 08:55 AM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Yeah i did 3 full track days with my stock tires before putting on the hoosiers. After putting on the hoosiers my smile got even bigger. Yes it is crazy to go to deep into a turn a be like crap i am gonna run off. Not with the hoosiers. Yes def get to know your car with a more stock set up. Cuz ya never know DD when your gonna have to use that skill. I know when my stock set up(Softer setting in coils & Hankooks evo12s) is gonna brake loose. So it keeps me honest everyday. Now when i put the hoosiers on at the track its game on. Also the more seat time in the IS with a good set up you can hang with faster cars. I pushed a few E46 track M3's & this guy in a STI 400WHP. Difference was tires. He pull out of a turn i'd catch right back up into & around the turn. The IS is a comfy car but handles surprisingly well with set up. I get compliments all day at the track from others. They are like damn didn't know that car was that fast or could track that well, your going good. Also getting to know the track is key. You need to look ahead find your points & hit your marks every lap. Learn when to brake, when to turn in how to may an 2 turn apex 1. Lines like a past post said they are important.
Old 07-20-10, 12:20 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

nice to hear you guys are tracking your cars! I tracked my S2000 for a couple years, so I don't have much interest in taking my IS to the track. Well, maybe once would be fun

But a question for you guys - how do deal with the lousy driver's seat? There's virtually no side bolsters! The IS-F seats are sooo much better
Old 07-20-10, 01:56 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ just use your legs to hold your body lol
Old 07-20-10, 02:05 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Yeah the seats do suck a bit. I move the seat way up for track days so i am on top of the steering wheel. I do slide a bit in the seat from side to side. I actually had a bruise & sore left knee from it being planted up against the door panel from the G's taking right turns. I use that 3rd pedal a lot, i push my left foot on that to hold me in the seat as well. U can also add a lap belt. A guy had one for his stock M3 said i really helped keep him in the seat.
Old 07-20-10, 06:56 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

All: If you get really serious about tracking more than once or twice a year, you should really invest in a 5 point harness. To a lesser degree, you might also look into adapting something like the Rally Series to work with a Lex. as it would be far less intrusive.
Driving your car secured to your seat is big advantage over wrenching yourself in place with your arms and legs. You actually get to relax your death grip on the wheel and seriously feel the car for the first time.

ISFSPORT10, Hard to imagine frying the brakes on an S5, but then, its hard for me to imagine even owning an S5 ... I'd have wet dreams even thinking about running that one around a track for sure !
You should get in touch with Porterfield and see if they can make you a set of their R-4 Carbon Kevlar race compounds... Absolutely sweet stopping power, even on glowing rotors!

Vince
Old 07-20-10, 07:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,374 Posts

A good interim solution for belting in that will help keep you in place is a CG-lock.

http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html
Old 07-20-10, 07:49 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just picked up a new set of track wheel and tires last week,
Advan RS 18x9 +29 and 18x9.5 +25 Toyo R888 245/40 front and 265/35 rear.
Ive never liked toyo tires and hope these perform as they do in the reviews. The wheels will arrive in 2 months so I hope to find some HPDE's in the fall 10'.

Looking for a "Stig" helmet now. :0
Old 07-20-10, 08:28 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Also I have a question for the track gods.

I used to have a HPDE 3 (I think?) but its has been 12 years ago. Have not kept up with paying the annual fee's. And back then it was classed differently. I was classed as "White level" which might be the same as HPDE 3 I think.
Ether way will I have to start over. Haven't see anything online nor have I had any e-mails returned.
Old 07-21-10, 07:13 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350
Also I have a question for the track gods.

I used to have a HPDE 3 (I think?) but its has been 12 years ago. Have not kept up with paying the annual fee's. And back then it was classed differently. I was classed as "White level" which might be the same as HPDE 3 I think.
Ether way will I have to start over. Haven't see anything online nor have I had any e-mails returned.
Not a track god but I hang out with some of them

Depends on the club/group you are driving with, but most likely they'll put you in a group with an instructor due to the time away and since none of your track experience is in your current car. If you quickly get back up to speed they may sign you off for solo with a daily check ride.

If you don't have one, you should create a 'track resume' XLS tracking what the event was, how many days, what track, what group you were in, etc. Most clubs now use online registration that tracks this stuff so none of your history will be there.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/ or http://www.clubregistration.net/ are two that are popular with the groups my wife typically runs with (she's an instructor with Porsche Club, BMWCCA and a couple other smaller clubs; they all use one of the two linked).

We're working on figuring out the fall event schedule now - once you get a timeline for when you want to go let me know.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-21-10 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-21-10, 07:24 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

Keep in mind too that having your track time and car listed on an online site could very well reach out and bite you. The legal and insurance world is also very internet savvy, so as long as yo do not care about warranty's, extended or other wise, feel free to put your information out there...
As a networking person, I for one, do not support the existence of such sites, nor do I trust their ability to keep my data secure when confronted by the legal power of the insurance industry....

Vince
Old 07-21-10, 09:51 AM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Thats why if you crash your car at the track you have them tow it to the highway
Haha
A squirrel jumped out in front of me & i swerved, Squirrel!
Old 07-21-10, 11:09 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NoHoIS350
Thats why if you crash your car at the track you have them tow it to the highway
Haha
A squirrel jumped out in front of me & i swerved, Squirrel!
Yup, except now your inviting other issues, only now, thanks to online registration, they have electronic proof of your attendance, not to mention all the pics of you and your car (license plate and all) that all the other attendies will post on the web.

People just need to become more aware of the dark side of the web. It is not a friendly world when money is involve. And it is getting worse...
online information is forever....

2cents

Quick Reply: So who here tracks thier IS?