Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So who here tracks thier IS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 11:38 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So who here tracks thier IS?

As in road course, not drift or quarter-mile
Would like to hear about your experience (good and bad) and preferred setup.

Vince
Old 07-18-10, 11:59 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of people track their IS350s. I know NoHoIS350 is a fan of it and has posted quite a few videos of his track experiences in the past. Here are a couple of examples -

Here's one of his first videos tracking his IS350 where his only modification was F-sport sway bars -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwvU3CEqCHE

He had the stock bridgestone tires and has since stated that putting on a decent set of drag radials is incredibly important. Here's a video of him with F-sport sways + Hoosier R6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v915C1x53Xw

So, short and sweet must have modifications are:

1) F-sport sway bars (certainly the rear sway bar at the very minimum)
2) Drag radials

I'd be interested to hear if NoHoIS350 uses ECT PWR or ECT Normal. The problem with ECT Pwr is that it has been shown to result in consistently slower (slightly) 1/4 mile times from a dig.

However, ECT PWR also holds gears much longer through turns. So, on a real track, the benefit of having the lowest gear possible held through a turn likely outweighs the cost of losing a tenth of a second (roughly) on a purely straight line paradigm.

Edit: One more requirement for tracking your car -

I believe I've mentioned this before, but I'll mention it here again just for thoroughness' sake - since you have a 2006 IS350, you have to do the "pedal dance" to full turn traction control off in your car -

See post #7 here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ease-help.html

Certainly if we're talking purely straight line performance, an IS350 with traction control on will do 0 to 60 in low to mid 5s, whereas an IS350 with traction control off can get 0 to 60 in high 4s. Quite a bit of difference, certainly down low, although I do acknowledge that for the purposes of tracking an IS350 this sort of metric is among the least relevant.

It's probably better to bring up the somewhat obvious notion that if you want to track your car, the idea is to test its limits without having the nanny controls step in.

Last edited by syzygy; 07-19-10 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 12:03 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

I see you have the F-sport front and rear sways on your car already. How are you liking them?

Sometimes it's difficult to really test the limit on the car without sways vs. with sways, because the "limit" (particularly with sways) tends to be far above the legal speed limits posted.

In that regard, tracking your car is a great way to get that "need for speed" out of your system. I'll be heading to a track in the near future for this very reason.
Old 07-19-10, 12:31 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

More videos -

Here's one of combfilter tracking his IS350 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA1pU8qNVTk

He passes quite a few cars - Mustangs, thought I saw a Lotus in there, Audis (I know you're an Audi guy)

He's got more track videos on his youtube page as well

He passes a 350Z early on in this one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arn2K...eature=related

Point is, IS350s are very trackable provided you have, at the very minimum, F-sport sways and drag radials.

Last edited by syzygy; 07-19-10 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 06:39 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

I do,
Rear swaybar, Coliovers, and decent tires are a must. Believe it or not ventillated brakes and ceramic pads make a difference as well, much less fade than stock.
First couple of times it was fun, but not as much as last time with the PS2 Michelins. Its just amazing the difference tires make.

Here is my car last month:
Old 07-19-10, 08:24 AM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks CarLX, From my experiences if your gonna do 1 or 2 track days then yes i'd put on a stiffer rear sway, I have done 5 tracks day each time adding something. I have F Rear sway, coils, Slotted rotors & EBC red pads. I also put a set of Hoosier R6 tire & will never do a track day without them. Huge difference! The last time out I had on the invidia Mid Pipe with Megan Axle back exhaust. The full exhaust really didn't do jack. So for all you exhaust guys. Put it on if you want a louder car but really performance wise really doesn't make a big difference. Our cars are way to heavy. When your foot is to the floor the car will go as fast as it can. Adding an exhaust really doesn't get it to 100 any faster. After all my experiences I am done killing my IS350. Prob do maybe 1 or 2 more than building a track car. Prob gonna build up a S2000. Those cars tracked out fly!

As for anyone wanting to track there cars i'd say do it. If your only gonna do 1 or 2 days than just make sure your brakes & tires are good. Then go beat it up. U'd be surprised how good the IS goes if you really push it.

I also do the pedal dance since mine is an 06. Yes take off the traction control & leave the car in normal mode. Me personally put my car in sport mode. At Chuckwalla i only get up to about 110 at most so i use 3 & 4th gear only. Yes i scream the crap out of my car. Sometimes i am going to fast into a turn & the car will not go into 3rd. So when i can downshift i do cuz if you through a slower turn in a high gear rpm goes to low & the car pushes a bit. High RPM with some engine braking help keep the car planted. Also if you ever feel like the car is gonna get loose just push the gas pedel to the floor. Gotta get the weigh back to the ground, the IS will plant itself a grip way better. With Hoosiers on i can push the IS like crazy & the tires just keep screaming but never give away.
Here is another Vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPLIGbO3FQ
This day the vid I had on the hoosiers R6, coils, ebc red pad with slotted rotors & Rear sway. I don't have any vid with the exhaust but i got to all my marks at the same speed from the stock exhaust to the other. So i am back to the stock rather have a quiet car again
Here are the Hoosier R6 on the car..Yes the are DOT...Street legal

Last edited by NoHoIS350; 07-19-10 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 11:03 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

nice vid, thats a fast track
Old 07-19-10, 11:36 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

I have yet to track my car.
Old 07-19-10, 08:47 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

While hoosiers R6 are DOT approved, descriptions of the item on websites say not to use it on the highway. Can I just use them for DD or is it highly not recommended? I was thinking of grabbing a set of these, would I put them on for the ride to the track, track day, back home than put on my stocks?
Old 07-19-10, 08:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Nearly all experienced driving instructors will warn you away from super sticky tires like the R6 (or even slightly less sticky ones like the Toyo RA1 or R888 or Nitto NT01) until you have significant experience on the track. Some won't even get in a green student car with them on.

Street tires will tell you when they're going to let loose but track tires do not. When you really feel you're advanced enough that you are out-driving the street tires, then think about going to stickier R-comp rubber. You will end up a much better driver in the long run for it.
Old 07-19-10, 09:11 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

OK, thanks for the advice. I think I'll definately hit the track a few times, and continue from there. As for beginning track courses, any suggestions for Southern California/Los Angeles? I was thinking of taking:
- Speed Ventures July 31st, August 1st
- Button Willow Performance Driving Clinic on August 21st
I was going to post this on the regional specific but I'd like to know if anyone else has tried these or other courses on their IS 350 too.
Old 07-19-10, 09:19 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tracked my IS250, with NoHoIS350 and other fellow Lexus drivers. It's quite the experience, I can say that if you put some dedication behind the wheel you'll get the car around the track quite elegantly. The IS is no slouch even with stock setup, but of course having some suspension modifications will make all the difference. There's only a few of us here that would take our cars out to the track, so I can somewhat speak for us few and say that the car is more than capable of keeping up with other track inspired cars. Give it a try, let us know what you think, remember Lexus isn't going out of its way for nothing to develop performance parts and a race inspired image with their F line of parts and vehicle. The F image is about race inspired Luxury.
Old 07-19-10, 11:08 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoy the feedback so far, but tracking an IS seems to be a very limited group so far.

Mybackground: I've been involved with grassroots motor-sports since about '93 (yup, I'm old), and see some potential in the IS platform despite the high overall weight. My brand knowledge has gaps, as I dropped out of the motor-sports scene for about 10 years til I bought my A4, and came back charging like a lion....... Totaled the Audi (not on the track) and moved to the Lexus line in an attempt to gain some 'semblance of reliability. Here I am, wondering where I will go with the IS. Plans need to be made, and ideas hammered out, and input requested.

Other questions:
What have you done to push the F/R weight closer to the 50/50 mark? Weight relocation? CF parts?
The Lex strikes me that 50/50 may be a more attainable goal than the Audi. Anyone got real weight figures (f/r) on an IS350 so I can find the cg?
Sadly A4 was very nose heavy, and had very little you could do to offset what seemed like a 60/40 ratio (grrrr). As anything close to 50/50 was unobtainable in the Audi, I focused on suspension and tires.

Question two: What is the weight of your rim/tire combination (un-sprung weight).
I had my A4 tire and rim combo down to 44lbs (17" Einki PF01's shoed w/ Bridgestone RE-11's) Which were a like a wet dream on the track. Anything in the 18" market that comes close? I suspect I will return to the 17 inchers for the shear performance otherwise (plus the taller sidewall gave my old butt the cush I desire).

Question Three: So far, I feel the IS needs at least another degree of caster over stock settings as the wheel does not return to center as crisply as I would like, not to mention keeping camber set correctly after any drop... Any kits address both settings up front?

My preference to build a DD with occasional track capabilities leaves me stumped on shocks/coil-overs in the Lex world. The past has had me favoring Eibachs as a spring of preference as being the only progressive rate that offers decent road manors for a "luxury" sports car/sedan.
I thought I saw Tokico makes an adjustable shock (compression and rebound) for the IS..
Question four: Anyone with experience there?

Question five: Brakes.... will flush with Super Blue soon, and already have EBC redstuff pads ready to mount. How do the stock components hold up with just these changes? I see brake vents in the wheel well... Anyone ever finish ducting them to the center of the rotors?

Other odd names like BC Racing have me scratching my head wonder who the heck these guys are? Never heard of them till I came here.
Coil-overs would normally involve a stiffer DD ride, and demand I buy a 4 corner scale to do them correctly. So I doubt I am willing to go that far without serious endorsement from fellow trackers. (I want my cush! and I just dont think a coil-over will do it will they?).(that may have been question six, but who's counting?)

Keep up the input. I'm old and sometimes stubborn, but have still got lots to learn. I apologize for the wordiness, Im several beers into this post!

Keep it shiny side up!
Vince
Old 07-19-10, 11:23 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

The weight distribution in the IS350 is 52/48 F/R

However, weight distribution figures alone is really only half of the story

0----0 where 0 = 5lbs and ---- is a homogenous stick with negligible weight has a 50/50 weight distribution with the CG right smack in the middle.

At the same time,

--00-- also has a 50/50 weight distribution with the CG right in the middle. The difference, of course, is that the bulk of the weight is localized near the CG. That's just as important as having 50/50 distribution, you want the bulk of the weight to be as centered and as low as possible.

Unfortunately, there's little that can be done to address this particular issue. This is obviously where a rear mid-mounted engine set up in a supercar like the 458 italia will blow the doors off of front mounted engines that might have 50/50 distribution but have weight localized more towards the extremes of the car away from the center of gravity.

Nevertheless, fortunately for your case, the IS350 is far closer to 50/50 weight distribution than your A4 (assuming your supposition that the A4's distribution is closer to 60/40 is correct).
Old 07-20-10, 03:48 AM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

wow Hoosier already....? I would suggest a good set of street tires, such as RE-11, AD08 but these are the top of the line, so if you have money issue, i would go with NT-05 or federal SS595RS-R or stock re-50 is good enough too, these are very good already. Also a good brake pad is very important and also brake fluid, you have to get something that is good heat resistant. Then again, i think brake is the thing that you will be worrying about, so try to get at least aggressive street brake pad and DOT 4 brake fluid.

Last edited by love67; 07-20-10 at 04:32 AM.

Quick Reply: So who here tracks thier IS?