Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Gearing question with Supra 3.76 LSD

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 10:14 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Gearing question with Supra 3.76 LSD

I have had this LSD for about 2-3 years now...and I love it!

On to my question...so I know that my automatic tranny now shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear at around 58mph whereas before with the stock open diff shifted at around 62mph.

Now, does the tranny determine it's shift points off of the speedometer? If so, can I change the overall DIAMETER of my wheels/tires so that it throws my speedometer off by 2-3mph therefore allowing my car to shift into 3rd at or just after 60mph? I am going to start using my GTech meter again and would love to try and get through 60mph just on one shift (1st-2nd) with this 3.76 LSD. How else can I achieve this? This is the ONLY thing that I hate about these gears.

It can show that my car hits 58mph in 4.9 seconds and then 5.5 to 60mph because of the required shift. If I could JUST "streach" this shift point to 60mph or so...I could get in around 5.1-5.2 0-60 times; which is very respectible for a full trim 2nd generation NON-FI Lexus GS.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-20-10, 11:12 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

congrats you are .2 faster than stock new hahaha jk

solution: boost + different lsd hehe :]

edit: what if you minimize the amount of time it takes to shift between gears?
Old 07-20-10, 11:26 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
congrats you are .2 faster than stock new hahaha jk

solution: boost + different lsd hehe :]

edit: what if you minimize the amount of time it takes to shift between gears?
lol... yeah, but something tells me that no one ever got a 5.7sec 0-60mph on a bone stock 2nd gen GS4XX. I have never seen a video of such a thing. I bet most GS4XX are running around 6.1sec 0-60 in stock form. Also, when it becomes 62mph (and I am more into 3rd gear) when the stock GS4XX has to shift I will be MUCH more farther ahead of them; probably by a car length or so.

The only thing I can think of is a VB upgrade for faster shifts but I feel it make shifting too harsh for the non-aggressive driving.

Basically, if I can hook well, my car would feel like the low-end grunt 0-60 of a stock IS350 but weighing 300lbs more but I'm modded and it goes back and fourth from there...
Old 07-25-10, 11:59 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I have had this LSD for about 2-3 years now...and I love it!

On to my question...so I know that my automatic tranny now shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear at around 58mph whereas before with the stock open diff shifted at around 62mph.

Now, does the tranny determine it's shift points off of the speedometer? If so, can I change the overall DIAMETER of my wheels/tires so that it throws my speedometer off by 2-3mph therefore allowing my car to shift into 3rd at or just after 60mph? I am going to start using my GTech meter again and would love to try and get through 60mph just on one shift (1st-2nd) with this 3.76 LSD. How else can I achieve this? This is the ONLY thing that I hate about these gears.

It can show that my car hits 58mph in 4.9 seconds and then 5.5 to 60mph because of the required shift. If I could JUST "streach" this shift point to 60mph or so...I could get in around 5.1-5.2 0-60 times; which is very respectible for a full trim 2nd generation NON-FI Lexus GS.

Any suggestions?
Its the shorter ratio gear, thats redlining @ a slower mph. The tranny shifts @ different points @ different line pressure. But @ wot the 3.76 is make shifts quicker cause you run out of rpm's quicker. The only thing you could do, is go bigger wheels & tires change the overall diameter ratio @ the wheel, but that would just make the car slower out the hole. So no real solution for the problem, except valve body upgrade for quicker shifts or have a custom gear made for 1st & 2nd inside the tranny.The latter is probably not $ feesable.
Old 07-25-10, 04:30 PM
swegs430
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having the same wonders about this gearing issue. Im quite sure there is a way to remap/chip the onboard computer involving both enginetiming,exhaust/air and tranny. Cant u do that with the neo?
Old 07-25-10, 06:46 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swap your rear tires for 275/35/19s and your second gear shift should be right at 60 MPH. I'm running tall rear tires also, if you want test fit them to check this out LMK.
Old 07-26-10, 05:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
Swap your rear tires for 275/35/19s and your second gear shift should be right at 60 MPH. I'm running tall rear tires also, if you want test fit them to check this out LMK.
See...this is what I am talking about! Believe me, I am STILL kicking myself for not getting the 35 series tire in the rear. I got the 275/30's and they are pretty thin...thinner than the front tires. However, the 275/35's would have a little thicker of a sidewall than the fronts but if anything this setup would look better, provide more traction (more sidewall flex) and more comfort around bumpy roads. I got this setup last year and I am still kicking myself. I will change out the rear tires when they wear out.

I think you are right about the different rear tires allowing me to shift JUST at 60mph. PM me, I'd like to know where you are located. Thanks!
Old 07-26-10, 08:49 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Run a standalone and raise the redline...problem solved. Well at least that's how I solved it on all my cars lol

I think you're bumping the rev limiter already. Try to leave the transmission in 2nd and just hold the throttle till it bounces the limiter and see how many mph you're going. If it's 58mph off the rev limiter then you need to raise the redline.
Old 07-26-10, 08:50 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Run a standalone and raise the redline...problem solved. Well at least that's how I solved it on all my cars lol

I think you're bumping the rev limiter already. Try to leave the transmission in 2nd and just hold the throttle till it bounces the limiter and see how many mph you're going. If it's 58mph off the rev limiter then you need to raise the redline.
that's a great idea...thanks Jeff!
Old 07-26-10, 09:26 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Question. By raising the redline how much can you raise it without needing to change engine internals and all? Theoretically, I probably would only need a 200-300rpm increase in redline limit.
Old 07-26-10, 09:30 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

we cant build our engines in a day like you if we blow em up doing that

lol
Old 07-27-10, 02:09 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm thinking about building a block specifically for boost...or blow mine up and get a LSx
Old 07-27-10, 04:08 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly the main problem is boosting and relying on the stock ECU/piggyback. It just doesn't bode well nor is it consistent. Usually it only works if you're trying to shoot for a modest power increase, if you are increasing power by a bigger margin then the stock/piggy is not sufficient. Running a standalone will make a world of difference
Old 07-27-10, 05:38 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the weakness here is the tranny we know you are gonna boost rock.
Old 07-28-10, 04:20 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to run 275/35/19's for a different reason.....LOL. I want my rear wheels to fill the wells a bit more in the back. Im running Tanabe NF210's. Right now Im running 275/30/19 which is the closest plus size for 19's. I would love to get a higher Final Drive Diff along with the bigger 19 inch tires. Just waiting for my rear tires to wear out.

Quick Reply: Gearing question with Supra 3.76 LSD