Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My Sprint Booster Review for 2006 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 12:27 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default My Sprint Booster Review for 2006 IS350

Installation: They claim a 5-10 minute installation, and I found that to be mostly true. Once you have access to the gas pedal, that is. For me, this meant removing a piece of trim so I could see the electronic plug that goes in the gas pedal. All you do is unplug the factory plug and plug in the Sprint Booster module inline into the gas pedal plug. Then you plug your OEM throttle plug back into the SprintBooster. There is a 3rd little plug on the module, and that's where the rubberized LED ON/OFF switch plug into. I then routed that switch through the steering column and affixed it with the provided double sided tape. I put it under the PWR/SNOW ECT control on the dash. It's a very small and clean install.

A complaint? I didn't find the double sided tape to be terribly good. And I even had my girlfriend prep the area with some alcohol and some adhesive promoter she had in her nursing med bag. Despite that, after a few hours, it would come unglued and dangle. It wasn't in the way at all but I'll have to find a better way to affix it. So that annoyed me. You know, sometimes it's these little things that annoy in an otherwise tight package.

On the road use: You can tell the unit is working. There are 3 light modes on the switch. No LED light is obviously OFF. You retain your factory throttle settings. The green LED is the SPORT MODE. This is for improved throttle response where smooth driving is required. I'd say in bumper to bumper traffic. Finally, the red LED is RACE MODE. This is for aggressive driving. Of course, I jumped right to the Race Mode!

And throttle response is very much improved, though as I said it was pretty good already. It makes the throttle response nearly instantaneous. A little jab at the gas pedal causes the car to leap off the line. It's more impressive from a roll. While in 6th gear, just lightly rolling into the throttle would causes a 3 gear kickdown. With the unit off, it would kick down 1 gear. So this translates into a much more lively throttle response without having to mash the pedal to the floor. This can make driving more amusing.

If I could explain it in a more basic sense, I would say this. It's like, all of the sudden, you foot weighs 40% more. Or the stroke of the accelerator pedal has been greatly reduced. What used to require a mashed throttle, now requires a much lighter touch. Or comparing it to motorcycles, it's like when I used to replace my OEM throttle turns with a 1/4 turn throttle unit used for racing. It doesn't make the vehicle any quicker per se, it allows better throttle control and response with less mechanical effort. This would rank very high in the "feel" department for those who value such things. I have not turned the unit off since installing it. So I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I also met a friend and her BMW 335i at the track today and she was able to try it. She has never driven an IS350 prior to this. Since her car was there, we were able to do side-by-side driving impressions with my IS and her BMW. I now see why the BMW people love this unit so much and rave so much about it. IMO the throttle response in her BMW is surprisingly poor. Slower than my stock SPORT setting on my Lexus. She agreed with me, and her poor(ish) throttle response in her BMW seemed to annoy her at least somewhat. While my stock setting seemed quicker than her BMW, she REALLY liked the throttle response with the SprintBooster turned on. I could really see how this would transform the BMW, since the turbo spool is directly related to throttle position. A quicker throttle response would have the turbos spooling quicker (again, without having to mash the pedal to the floor). It would make the car much funner to drive IMO. She liked the product enough to ask me how much is it, where can she get one, etc...

And I think this may be one of the reason why some people were overly critical of the Sprint Booster in an IS350. Truth be told, after driving her BMW, our throttle response is pretty darn good. Does it make our IS350 throttle response better? Yes. But it would literally be night and day in the BMW. The throttle response feels slow, the stroke feels long and the pressure required feels harder than our IS'. The feel would be much improved in that car, and for whatever reason, it seems German cars in general. The most glowing reviews I read were BMWs, Mercedes and Audis. Satisfied, but not as jubilant reviews came from Japanese import cars. So maybe it's something inherently "german" about those cars pedal that is off-putting and makes a more dramatic, more satisfying effect when installed in those cars. As I said..our throttle response is pretty good already, by any standard.

Conclusion: Do I like the SprintBooster? Yes I do. Quite alot, actually. As I said, I haven't shut it off since I've installed it. I like the instant throttle response without having to push the pedal through the firewall. It also caused no issue while I had my cruise control on. That is to say when it accelerated over hills and whatnot it didn't make the car jerky. Just cruising along, the car feels normal. But when you have to dip into the throttle, the lightning quick response is pretty appealing. Would I buy one? Hmmm...this is where I have a bit of an issue. It's fairly expensive. At $329 CDN (delivered) the price seems a bit steep, given that it doesn't increase power over stock. Granted, this is a very polished, complete plug and play solution. It requires no special skill to install.

It's a definite "feel" improver for sure, which for some, is much more important than added ponies, yet for others is of much lower priority. My stock throttle response is already pretty good in the IS350. So I'm not sure that I'd spend the cash on it. Don't get me wrong, I'll be disappointed when I have to send it back, I just think for me and the IS350 the price tag is a bit steep. But I do like it. Now if I had my friend's BMW (or a car with similar doggy throttle response), I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I really think this would wake up her throttle response and make her car more of a hoot to drive.

And for anyone questioning, the IS350 isn't my first foray into performance cars. My other car was a 640HP Supra. I'm also an auto engineer.

If anyone has comments or questions, please feel free to ask, and I'll answer them the best I can.
Old 08-01-10, 05:37 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent review.
Old 08-01-10, 05:46 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the write up. seems like it would makes things alo more interesting on boring drives
Old 08-02-10, 01:54 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In before Kurtz comes in bashing
Old 08-02-10, 02:16 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wouldn't mind having .. but not for 300 dollars
Old 08-02-10, 06:04 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by smokyis350
In before Kurtz comes in bashing
Kurtz can disagree all he wants. How you feel about this device, as with anything that improves "feel", is very subjective.

I'm confident if our throttle response was as poor as the BMW I drove, we'd all be buying these things no questions asked. But as it stands, our response is pretty good from the factory. So I can see how someone with an IS might not be as thrilled with the product than someone with lesser throttle response.
Old 08-05-10, 12:13 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thx for taking the time to review this product... i would like to get one BUT~ with one car show per month till dec, then xmas right after... my wallet is on E till the start of next yr
Old 08-06-10, 11:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket
Kurtz can disagree all he wants. How you feel about this device, as with anything that improves "feel", is very subjective.

I'm confident if our throttle response was as poor as the BMW I drove, we'd all be buying these things no questions asked. But as it stands, our response is pretty good from the factory. So I can see how someone with an IS might not be as thrilled with the product than someone with lesser throttle response.

Sorry for delay in reply, been traveling a fair bit (which is why I mentioned in the other SB thread I wouldn't be able to provide numeric data for a couple weeks)

It's really a perception thing.

There'll be no difference in the response of the car if you push the gas 75% and if you instead push it say 40% and have the SB amp the signal to the ECU to 75%. Exactly 0 measurable difference.

But in the second case, especially if you're not thinking about it, you will perceive that you got "great" throttle response because the car responded like it got 75% gas but you felt like only pressed it 40%.

Transmission behavior will exhibit absolutely no change whatsoever since the unit doesn't connect to the transmission in any way. It's impossible for it to change the transmision behavior, you are simply seeing the transmission react to a stronger pedal push than you actually gave it. EXACTLY the same way it would if you had the SB off and actually pushed the pedal harder.

I agree that to someone who doesn't really know what it's doing, or doesn't bother spending much time thinking about it, it certainly "feels" like the car is way faster... because the car is being told the driver is driving it aggressively, but he really isn't.

But I suspect if you kept it on all the time you'd eventually recalibrate your brain and the "feel" would largely go away.

That's why I suspect that it'd be to best effect if folks enjoy the feeling they only use it occasionally.

As an engineer yourself I can't see how you conclude this allows better throttle control though, it does the exact opposite... you now have a smaller range of control over the throttle...

It'd just like the TSIB brake pads, by having less initial "bite" they actually offer MORE control over braking since you have a broader input range available for your use.

Narrowing the range of control gives you less control not more.

That's why I wouldn't be a fan of this thing on a non-drag track... a good driver would prefer a larger range of throttle control available to him, not a shorter one.

(and obviously it'd be useless on a drag track, WOT is WOT..but I'll be able to confirm in a couple weeks via accelerometer testing)

On the street, for occasional use, for entertainment purposes, would be where this device would have value to a user potentially.

Since SB has so far offered excellent, responsive, customer service, and offers a 30 day money back guarantee, I'd certainly see no reason for folks not to try it out and judge themselves if it's "worth" the cost for a mod that is entirely a "feel" one not a performance one.

Heck, people spend far more than that swapping to HIDs that put out LESS light, so $329 for something that does feel fun if you don't think too much about it seems a much smarter use of money
Old 08-07-10, 12:45 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Kurtz,

Particularly on the BMW, the stroke feels looong and clunky. The SB on that particular BMW I drove would do wonders for driving enjoyment. Certainly you could get the same thing by flooring the throttle all the time, but truth be told, I don't know how many people drive that way all the time. Especially in city traiffc. Having to really push the pedal down to make the car go (or floor it) would be tiring. The SB on the other hand would work. I mean...compared to our ISs it felt like a POS. As I said, our IS is pretty good already.

Maybe it's just me....but having raced motorcycles with 1/4 turn throttles (or 1/5th), I find the SB completely acceptable for control. Did you really find using the SB made your IS less controllable or less precise? I certainly had no such issues, and maybe someone who does has poor motor skills. Maybe shortening the stroke give YOU less control. I haven't found it to be an issue, though as I have said, I've raced cars/bikes for quite some time. But I guess myself and the motorcycle racing world in general have been doing it wrong all these years. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

And I agree. People make mods to their cars that don't offer anything in feel, driveability or performance (big wheels, aero bits, HIDs, etc...)

Last edited by RRocket; 08-07-10 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-07-10, 08:13 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,446 Posts

I've raced bikes and used quarter (or less) turn throttles. The reasoning is completely different. You don't need to reposition your foot to maintain control of the car if the throttle is long travel. You do need to reposition your hand (wrist ridiculously high) to get WOT easily on a stock bike throttle. So your argument is fundamentally flawed by comparing apples and oranges.

Having a quick pedal is just that - a quick pedal. The F gives you the choice, and I drive in the normal mode almost all the time. When I go to the track I drive in sport mode only because it changes (reduces) the steering boost and I get better feedback on what the front end is doing. When I've used sport mode on the street, all I succeed in accomplishing is snapping my neck because the response is now different (a lot more like the stock IS350) and my foot is trained to work with the slower setting. I can drive quickly in EITHER mode very easily. The only thing it changes is how the throttle feels. It's not easier or harder with one or the other.
Old 08-07-10, 12:11 PM
SprintBooster
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Sorry for delay in reply, been traveling a fair bit (which is why I mentioned in the other SB thread I wouldn't be able to provide numeric data for a couple weeks)

It's really a perception thing.

There'll be no difference in the response of the car if you push the gas 75% and if you instead push it say 40% and have the SB amp the signal to the ECU to 75%. Exactly 0 measurable difference.

But in the second case, especially if you're not thinking about it, you will perceive that you got "great" throttle response because the car responded like it got 75% gas but you felt like only pressed it 40%.

Kurtz, perception angle you are approaching this from is not inline with what our product does in the sense that, our product is more than just a simple analog amplifier that you are describing. Our product is very advanced and has been tested, tuned, and tested more to ensure that it delivers the most satisfying driving experience, specific for each car. Please remember, one of the most important features of our product is that it analyses your throttle input and provides a modified signal to your ECU (via the Throttle controller), and supplies the right amount of power where and when you want it. This is a dynamic throttle input.

Transmission behavior will exhibit absolutely no change whatsoever since the unit doesn't connect to the transmission in any way. It's impossible for it to change the transmision behavior, you are simply seeing the transmission react to a stronger pedal push than you actually gave it. EXACTLY the same way it would if you had the SB off and actually pushed the pedal harder.

I agree that to someone who doesn't really know what it's doing, or doesn't bother spending much time thinking about it, it certainly "feels" like the car is way faster... because the car is being told the driver is driving it aggressively, but he really isn't.

But I suspect if you kept it on all the time you'd eventually recalibrate your brain and the "feel" would largely go away.

That's why I suspect that it'd be to best effect if folks enjoy the feeling they only use it occasionally.

Kurtz we encourage you to drive with this product on all the time. Test your theory. Either in Stage 1 or in Stage 2. Sprintbooster makes a substantial difference in the way your vehicle responds. Use it actively, then stop using. I think there you will be able to detect the throttle lag that exists in every Electronic Throttle Control system. RRocket made the comment about comparing the BMW to the Lexus, every car is different. But it is also true that there is some lag time associated with these electronic systems. We engineer each application of our product to eliminate that lag.

As an engineer yourself I can't see how you conclude this allows better throttle control though, it does the exact opposite... you now have a smaller range of control over the throttle...

As we mentioned before, our product monitors your inputs using multiple variables to arrive at the correct throttle signal based on what the driver is doing with his foot. (what he/she is thinking)

It'd just like the TSIB brake pads, by having less initial "bite" they actually offer MORE control over braking since you have a broader input range available for your use.

Narrowing the range of control gives you less control not more.

That's why I wouldn't be a fan of this thing on a non-drag track... a good driver would prefer a larger range of throttle control available to him, not a shorter one.

(and obviously it'd be useless on a drag track, WOT is WOT..but I'll be able to confirm in a couple weeks via accelerometer testing)

On the street, for occasional use, for entertainment purposes, would be where this device would have value to a user potentially.

Of the customers that have purchased our product for the Lexus IS line, specifically the IS-F crowd, the customer feedback is overwhelmingly popular. So who were reluctant at first are besides themselves on how well the throttle response is for the car. Even compared to other mods. Its a substantial difference.

Since SB has so far offered excellent, responsive, customer service, and offers a 30 day money back guarantee, I'd certainly see no reason for folks not to try it out and judge themselves if it's "worth" the cost for a mod that is entirely a "feel" one not a performance one.

Heck, people spend far more than that swapping to HIDs that put out LESS light, so $329 for something that does feel fun if you don't think too much about it seems a much smarter use of money
(Our response is highlighted red above)
Like Kurtz has mentioned above, the product is $329 dollars, backed by a money back guarantee. If you are not beside yourself on how your car response, send it back. We are certain you will appreciate the benefits of Sprint Booster
Old 08-07-10, 12:19 PM
SprintBooster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've raced bikes and used quarter (or less) turn throttles. The reasoning is completely different. You don't need to reposition your foot to maintain control of the car if the throttle is long travel. You do need to reposition your hand (wrist ridiculously high) to get WOT easily on a stock bike throttle. So your argument is fundamentally flawed by comparing apples and oranges.

Having a quick pedal is just that - a quick pedal. The F gives you the choice, and I drive in the normal mode almost all the time. When I go to the track I drive in sport mode only because it changes (reduces) the steering boost and I get better feedback on what the front end is doing. When I've used sport mode on the street, all I succeed in accomplishing is snapping my neck because the response is now different (a lot more like the stock IS350) and my foot is trained to work with the slower setting. I can drive quickly in EITHER mode very easily. The only thing it changes is how the throttle feels. It's not easier or harder with one or the other.

lobuxracer, As you have demonstrated and mentioned, every driver is different and looking for something that caters to their own tastes. But of the IS-F owners who purchase our product online and walk thru the doors of our offices. We find that they find a benefit to having this product. Of course it has to be someone interested in bringing the best out of their car. In this case the Lexus IS-F. Even with the power mode enhancements built in. Our product continues to stand out and stand alone in terms of completely routing out lag / delay in throttle control systems.

As we mentioned previously, our product analysis throttle inputs from the driver as they apply the pedal (gas). We have individuals who drive on the track and on the streets and in both situations, Sprintbooster has made the difference in throttle performance. Either it applies to track performance (times) or simply a satisifying drive home.

We would love for you to experience our product to have more well rounded understanding of how it works.
The following users liked this post:
MrHarris (06-04-22)
Old 08-07-10, 02:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder if those using this product typically experience lower gas mileage (not that it matters because both the IS250 and IS350 are economical)?