Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OMG Replace your fuel filters at 100K!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 09:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Your local Toyota should have it for $10-12.
Old 08-06-10, 10:08 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kool, whats it called? or just a filter bag lol
Old 08-06-10, 11:44 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AsGs300
good to know! did you go with the OEM filter?
Yes OEM filter from Sewell Lexus = best price.
Old 08-06-10, 11:47 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by ****-adkt
Why would you blow up? or even give the perception that changing anything along the lines of the Fuel system will automatically result in an explosion.

If you follow COMMON sense procedures you can change anything.
I never worked around gasoline before, despite working around flammables all the time. it's different when you have a half a TANK of gas there.

Ever cause a spark over top of a tank of gas?
I didn't think so.
Old 08-06-10, 11:49 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by D-Boi
kool, whats it called? or just a filter bag lol
suction filter
Old 08-07-10, 12:09 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I never worked around gasoline before, despite working around flammables all the time. it's different when you have a half a TANK of gas there.

Ever cause a spark over top of a tank of gas?
I didn't think so.
It's not that bad. I've left the gas tank open for a week before while I was building a custom fuel pump hanger and it didn't do anything besides make the garage smell like fuel. If you're really concerned, just have a fan blowing towards the top part of the gas tank that is open/exposed. Gasoline only ignites under optimal conditions, or proper air fuel ratio mixture. Having the fan blowing away the fumes and diluting the concentration in the surrounding air will lean out the mixture enough that you can have a lit lighter in the vicinity and not cause an explosion, although I still wouldn't recommend doing it lol. If you get it too close to the fuel tank(within a few inches) away from the diluted zone of air blowing, it will ignite the gasoline.

If you really want to test this theory, go fill up a cup of gasoline outside the garage on a cement driveway or something, and have a fan blowing towards it. It will be difficult to light that cup on fire. Also, when gasoline burns it's not the liquid that is burning. It's the evaporated gasoline or the vapors that ignite. The fan blowing diluting the vapors with air is what reduces the likelihood of ignition
Old 08-07-10, 12:30 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
It's not that bad. I've left the gas tank open for a week before while I was building a custom fuel pump hanger and it didn't do anything besides make the garage smell like fuel. If you're really concerned, just have a fan blowing towards the top part of the gas tank that is open/exposed. Gasoline only ignites under optimal conditions, or proper air fuel ratio mixture. Having the fan blowing away the fumes and diluting the concentration in the surrounding air will lean out the mixture enough that you can have a lit lighter in the vicinity and not cause an explosion, although I still wouldn't recommend doing it lol. If you get it too close to the fuel tank(within a few inches) away from the diluted zone of air blowing, it will ignite the gasoline.

If you really want to test this theory, go fill up a cup of gasoline outside the garage on a cement driveway or something, and have a fan blowing towards it. It will be difficult to light that cup on fire. Also, when gasoline burns it's not the liquid that is burning. It's the evaporated gasoline or the vapors that ignite. The fan blowing diluting the vapors with air is what reduces the likelihood of ignition
Good info, thanks!
Old 08-07-10, 01:20 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

well when i change mine im driving it on e then letting it run in the garage till it dies lol
Old 08-07-10, 03:15 AM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great...

another list of things to do on my GS.. haha

good info though
Old 08-07-10, 06:00 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I asked Sewell Lexus about the fuel filter parts a few weeks back. They have it listed on their website now under the service/maintenance section.
Old 08-07-10, 07:53 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Good to know
Old 08-07-10, 08:50 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like the GS is back to life.. Still running strong at 145k..
Old 08-07-10, 12:43 PM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by D-Boi
well when i change mine im driving it on e then letting it run in the garage till it dies lol
do that and you might have to replace the fuel pump too. Might be better off having gas in your tank IMO
Old 08-07-10, 02:44 PM
bmackinnon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by geeznuts
do that and you might have to replace the fuel pump too. Might be better off having gas in your tank IMO
+1 !!! Terrible idea... running the pump dry gives a high probablility of smoking it....
Old 08-07-10, 03:03 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed mine, but didnt notice any performance gain. Which is fine by me because I just do it for the upkeep. If you changed your fuel filter and you noticed your vehicle come to life, it was probably really dirty or clogged to begin with. I havent cut my old one open yet, but through the little hole I can see the filter media being a bit darker than the new clean white one.

Quick Reply: OMG Replace your fuel filters at 100K!!!