Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Making custom exhaust for the ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 07:57 PM
jhill20
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Making custom exhaust for the ride

Not being satisfied with the sound that the car is producing currently, and since i bought it for that matter, I finally got around to starting on it. Here are a couple starter photos for ya.

I wanted to shorten the exhaust radically enough to install two 4" round magna flow mufflers. They're 14" long in the body. The stock exhaust route goes to single under the cabin then splits back to two pipes to achieve the dual exhaust at the rear. I wanted to start at that y and install said mufflers there.

I am NOT finished yet. it so happens that it is just a tad loud at this point. It's actually pretty good outside imo. but inside the cabin, as my 2.5 year old would say, "it's really bumpy daddy". Kinda loud inside.

What do you guys think? probably a little extreme for most everybody on here I think. But it's different...

Oh yeah the last one is all the pipe i removed.
Attached Thumbnails Making custom exhaust for the ride-photo518.jpg   Making custom exhaust for the ride-photo519.jpg   Making custom exhaust for the ride-photo520.jpg  
Old 08-12-10, 08:42 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weight reduction FTW

Can't wait to hear it in person. You are still going to fill in the exhaust cutouts on the rear bumper, eventually, like we talked about right?
Old 08-13-10, 06:22 AM
jhill20
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mex lex
Weight reduction FTW

Can't wait to hear it in person. You are still going to fill in the exhaust cutouts on the rear bumper, eventually, like we talked about right?
Yes the plan is to fill the bumper in. Added to my now long list of paint and body work lol.
Old 08-13-10, 09:18 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

this style reminds me of the turn down exhausts i had on my chevelle. they stopped right under the back of my drivers seat

not a fan but if u like it, rock it. this on the V-8 im assuming and not the I-6?

how bout a sound clip?
Old 08-13-10, 09:28 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The reason for the loudness in the cabin is the sound waves bounce between the road and the floorpan. If you have some simple pipes bent from the muffler outlets exiting in front of the rear tires the sound will be reduced dramatically. Or extend to the rear bumper. You can keep the pipe above bumper level and use 45 degree turn downs at the bumper if you want the system hidden.

What size are those Magnaflows, 2", 2.25" or 2.5"?
Old 08-13-10, 07:20 PM
jhill20
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
this style reminds me of the turn down exhausts i had on my chevelle. they stopped right under the back of my drivers seat

not a fan but if u like it, rock it. this on the V-8 im assuming and not the I-6?

how bout a sound clip?
Yes just like that senor. I know it's not very "traditional" for...... any japanese car i guess, lol, but like jbrady is saying, i want it deflecting towards the pavement instead of hitting the undercarriage first. More of a functional purpose I guess. I think. we'll see

I forgot my camera today for a sound clip. I'm workin on it.
Originally Posted by jbrady
The reason for the loudness in the cabin is the sound waves bounce between the road and the floorpan. If you have some simple pipes bent from the muffler outlets exiting in front of the rear tires the sound will be reduced dramatically. Or extend to the rear bumper. You can keep the pipe above bumper level and use 45 degree turn downs at the bumper if you want the system hidden.

What size are those Magnaflows, 2", 2.25" or 2.5"?
Yes sir, i agree. I'm just trying to fine tune the sound til i find something I really like. The only tool I don't have is a bender so, when I get some time , hopefully tomorrow, I'll hunt down some turn downs. I ended up extending the muffler location to the stock hanger location right before the rear axle. The "last second" mount/hanger that I made wed. nite was resonating everything into the cab really bad! It's calmed down now that i'm using the regular exhaust hanger locations.

My issue is that now that i've extended it again i'm getting the horrible tin-eee sound again at higher rpm. I hate it! perhaps a resonator. idk.

they are 2.25"

Last edited by jhill20; 08-14-10 at 06:48 AM.