Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Top Fuel Intake system for 2IS - Chamber Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 02:18 PM
08ChrIS250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Fuel Intake system for 2IS - Chamber Intake

at this price... i might have to give it a try...

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/fuel...5-p-15198.html
Old 08-27-10, 02:32 PM
08ChrIS250
Driver

other websites advertise it for $200+ if not $300+.... wonder why this is so cheap
Old 08-27-10, 04:58 PM
kevintq
Pole Position

lol it looks like an exhaust but turned into an intake
Old 08-28-10, 12:27 AM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks fishy dude. I'll stick with F-Sport intake. Looks cheap IMO.
Old 08-30-10, 07:31 AM
08ChrIS250
Driver

The Power Chamber Intake is very popular amongst the honda/acura ppl. And the concept makes sense. being a carbon canister would keep the air slightly cooler than plastic too....

i have been building cars for many years... BMW, Toyota, Honda, Infiniti, Mercedes, Porsche... all manufactures i have owned and turned into performance DD/Track cars...

The concept of this makes sense.... it may look a little funny but i really think it is a great bang for the buck. i just wonder if it fits ok. I have not ordered it, im going through some things right now (Moving). once that is done then i may look into ordering this and giving some feedback. I would replace the cone filter with something else but the intake design could work out great.
Old 08-30-10, 08:25 AM
vinconist
Pole Position

ive dealt with advance speed before, i got my coils and oil from them, u can always return it if it doesnt fit
Old 08-30-10, 12:15 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does the concept of this make sense? Air enters through a 3" inlet at a certain pressure relative to how hard the engine is drawing in air, then the air expands into this "chamber" forcing it to lose pressure, then it is compressed right back down to the 3" inlet size as when it first entered.

In my honest opinion , it doesnt do squat except induce turbulence. You cant increase pressure by decreasing pressure only to increase it back to what it was before. Snake oil my friends, snake oil. This is also why its selling for $70~, because they cant sell it.
Old 08-30-10, 12:46 PM
08ChrIS250
Driver

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
then it is compressed right back down to the 3" inlet size as when it first entered.
turn on a water hose... put your thumb over the end of it and see what happens...

look at the simple design of any OEM Intake system.... Contains an Airbox that usually has a hole cut out under the filter. What is the function of this box? Do you have any idea?

When air is stored inside the chamber (or airbox of OEM system) it becomes compressed inside the box... making it more dense. Basicly the same as cooling the air. Its like trying to suck air or fluid through a very long skinny straw. If the air is compressed prior to entering a smaller tube or chamber, the suction/pull/ or push (in exhaust) will be greater allowing more air to pass through your intake. It may not be moving "AS FAST" because it is more dense...

I guaruntee if you wrap that chamber with some heat wrap or Gold UR wrap... you will see just as much performance gains as any $300-$400 intake on the market. You may need to slide a heat shield in between the chamber and the filter but surely a $$$ Saving product.....

still not convinced on the filter though. A standard K&N cone filter is what id throw on there.
Old 08-30-10, 12:49 PM
08ChrIS250
Driver

how it would look... not exactly as they picture in on their website
Attached Thumbnails Top Fuel Intake system for 2IS - Chamber Intake-topfuel.jpg   Top Fuel Intake system for 2IS - Chamber Intake-img0647fz0.jpg   Top Fuel Intake system for 2IS - Chamber Intake-img0649tk8.jpg  
Old 08-30-10, 02:15 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 08ChrIS250
turn on a water hose... put your thumb over the end of it and see what happens...

look at the simple design of any OEM Intake system.... Contains an Airbox that usually has a hole cut out under the filter. What is the function of this box? Do you have any idea?

When air is stored inside the chamber (or airbox of OEM system) it becomes compressed inside the box... making it more dense. Basicly the same as cooling the air. Its like trying to suck air or fluid through a very long skinny straw. If the air is compressed prior to entering a smaller tube or chamber, the suction/pull/ or push (in exhaust) will be greater allowing more air to pass through your intake. It may not be moving "AS FAST" because it is more dense...

I guaruntee if you wrap that chamber with some heat wrap or Gold UR wrap... you will see just as much performance gains as any $300-$400 intake on the market. You may need to slide a heat shield in between the chamber and the filter but surely a $$$ Saving product.....

still not convinced on the filter though. A standard K&N cone filter is what id throw on there.

and what Im trying to tell you is that you cant create pressure by expanding the chamber size. It cause a REDUCTION in pressure inside that chamber...only when it is sucked back into another 3 inch tube does it regain its pressure. But that was already accomplished once when it first entered the 3 inch tube before the chamber. So basically, the intake is performing needless work, first by depressurizing (cooling the air) then by re-pressurizing ( heating the air up). Its a wash.... and a waste of money.

besides, this particular engine only needs 1.9 sq inches of frontal area on an intake to achieve its peak torque rating in the upper 4k rpms. anything over that amount is basically overkill anyway.

Before you ask me how I know these things, look at my sig. I've been doing tests on top of more tests for some time now.
Old 08-30-10, 02:18 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

now what it may do is make it sound unique...but thats all flash anyway.
Old 08-30-10, 06:35 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, that's all most of the hot-air open element intakes do on this car anyway, so no surprise there

Even the best ones for performance (like the Joe Z) are only gonna give you ~5 rwhp
Old 08-30-10, 06:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Water flow stops. I have a big thumb. What else are you imagining? It clearly has no relevance to this discussion.

The function of the box is to slow the incoming air and spread it out over the full surface area of the filter. You seem to be confusing what an air box does with what a plenum does. They are not the same.

Have you studied Bernoulli's principle? Your description of what happens in an air box couldn't possibly be more confused. The air does not "become more compressed." The pressure is higher because the speed of the flow is lower and Bernoulli's principle tells us why. It's not even necessarily more dense - density depends on pressure, temperature, and volume - so when any one of these components changes (as volume does in the transition between the intake tube and the air box or vice versa) density changes. Guess what? In the air box, density is reduced because the volume suddenly got very large relative to the intake tube! One more small problem - there is no such thing as "suction" or "vacuum." These are terms used to describe regions of lower pressure. Gas molecules move from regions of higher pressure to regions of lower pressure. It's part of the fundamental properties of a gas. So, you'll never in your life suck an air molecule down a tube, straw, through a hole, or into an engine. You will also not push a molecule without adding energy to it. So you can go through all the magic diameter changes you want, but if you're not adding energy by swatting the molecule with something solid or adding heat through combusting something and transferring the heat to the molecule it's only going to go from a high pressure region to a low pressure region because all gases seek balance. Best of all - if you compress a gas, I absolutely guarantee you the temperature will go UP not DOWN. Compressing a gas means temperature and pressure rise, no exceptions. Finally, if you compress the gas before it goes into a tube (assuming the pressure in the tube remains constant) you've only increased the pressure differential which means there is more force available in the high pressure region to seek a lower pressure region, so, of course it will flow more until the limits of the tube's ability to flow are exceeded.

Wrapping thermal wrap on an intake does two things - it slows heat gain from the engine compartment into the tube, and it slows heat removal from the tube once thermal balance in the engine bay is established. So your wrap cuts both ways. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's a disaster. Ideally the wrap would prevent all heat from getting to the tube, but this isn't what happens in the real world. The other interesting thing is, at WOT, the airflow is high enough to prevent heat transfer because the intake air's resident time in the intake tract isn't long enough to transfer any significant heat. Heat soak in the tubes is minor. Sourcing the air from a place outside the hot engine bay is a much more effective approach and has been since the internal combustion engine was invented over 100 years ago.

Sorry, but this piece is a joke. It's just another turbonator.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-30-10 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-30-10, 08:25 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

^---- It's nice to see us agree on something.
Old 08-31-10, 09:56 AM
08ChrIS250
Driver

The point im trying to make is ...

any CAI or Short ram intake on an IS250 will produce at the most 5-6hp... whether its a $300 AFE, $200 Injen, or $70 Power Chamber..... look what the Joe-Z does. it's just a pipe.

5-6hp gains... even up to 10hp gains will go unnoticable by feel. Only a slight percentage of increased fuel economy.

Why would someone spend $300 on those results when $70 can get you nearly the exact results and not to mention its a unique intake.

i simply don't see why this product would not sell. I would take that $200 saved and put it towards a price worthy mod.

Quick Reply: Top Fuel Intake system for 2IS - Chamber Intake