Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Joe Z Exhaust with Exhaust Silencer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-10, 02:08 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Z Exhaust with Exhaust Silencer?

I'm thinking of getting Joe Z Exhaust with cats, and while I want the slight hp increase, I don't want all the additional sound that comes with the exhaust. Does anyone know, maybe Joe Z himself, if there are exhaust silencer's for this product? Will it tone down the sound by a noticable amout? I'm not expecting stock but listening to this, I don't want it that loud either.
Old 08-28-10, 06:57 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're that concerned about sound, I would recommend the Tanabe Medallion exhaust.

The only exhaust that needs/provides a silencer is the HKS Hi-Power.
Old 08-28-10, 09:22 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Thanks for the information, and doing a search, it certainly looks like I am after the Tanabe Medallion exhaust. Reading one of the post (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...take-pipe.html) Kurtz is saying that the Tanabe gives a bit more hp than the Joe Z too.

Question on the Tanabe though, is it a completely exhaust system or do I need a midpipe? Sort of new on the exhaust side of the car.
Old 08-29-10, 12:00 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tanabe is just an axleback. the joe z is a catback. so for tanabe you keep the OEM midpipes, for joe z it comes with midpipes.

joe z will give more power than the tanabe. kurtz was referring to the joe z INTAKE.

joe z exhaust gives about 10-12 hp. tanabe is 6-7 hp.
Old 08-29-10, 12:52 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Ah crap... I really want that few ponies more. I wonder if my wife will notice a Joe Z exhaust?
Old 08-29-10, 04:03 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aftermarket midpipes are available if you want to pair one with a Tanabe axle-back (Megan, Invidia, Tanabe [in development]). But keep in mind that an aftermarket midpipe only adds 1-2 hp but lots of sound. You're not going to miss 1-2 hp - you lose more when the seasons change.
Old 08-29-10, 04:18 AM
ijulmimi
Lead Lap

i heard Joe Z exhaust gives the best hp gain and sound
Old 08-29-10, 08:48 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by montgb
Aftermarket midpipes are available if you want to pair one with a Tanabe axle-back (Megan, Invidia, Tanabe [in development]). But keep in mind that an aftermarket midpipe only adds 1-2 hp but lots of sound. You're not going to miss 1-2 hp - you lose more when the seasons change.
Ahhh.. I guess I was trying to get the 4-5 additional ponies from having the Joe Z midpipe when comparing the Joe Z full cat back exhaust against the stock midpipe and axle back Tanabe. If a lot of that sound is coming from the midpipe though, I always thought it was more the exhaust, than this should be a good compromise for me; a few less ponies but none of that loud midpipe sound.
Old 08-30-10, 01:46 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

joe z will probably give slightly better gains than mixing exhaust and midpipes. unless you get the same brand. mixing exhaust brands that weren't designed and engineered together. whereas the joe z exhaust was developed as an entire unit. so it will sound the best compared to mixing brands.\

but it could all just be a push when it comes to gains.