Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS4 Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-02, 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i haven't really tried to find out the gas mileage. but my trip from LA back here was awesome. most highway at around 90mph, but traffic, sometimes needed to floor it to pass stupid people, etc.... and some local..

that trip i averageed 23.5mpg, i couldn't believe it
Old 07-15-02, 12:53 PM
oldguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caught my interest when silvergs4 wrote. Being as I am normally a flatlander, the first time I had my first gs4 in the higher altitudes, I was flat amazed. Both of my GS4's have gotten as high as 27+ when in the mountains. At mostly 80 or so.
Home (MN) is more like 20 around town and more or less depending on how much freeway, how much town.
And then there is winter. Can be 16 in the very cold.
My son, an engineer, thinks pumping losses are mostly responsible, with some help from less wind resistance. So the mountains help in at least a couple of ways. Salt Lake is my favorite vacation drive. Up Little Cottonwood to the end at Alta.

My 01 does not have e-shift, and I miss it only because the reprogrammed transmission shifts sooner, even with pwr setting. This is how the larger engine gets the good mileage, according to the head tech at my Lexus dealer.
Old 07-15-02, 02:16 PM
fever
Lead Lap

75% city driving and I average 16 mpg. I can get 17.5 if I lay off the gas or drive it down to 15 if I'm heavier with the foot. On a road trip low twenties is pretty easy even at 75 or 80 mph.
Old 07-16-02, 05:12 PM
Murph
Pole Position

I consistantly get 24 MPG's with about 80% highway at 70-80MPH. I also just leave it in power mode and manually select shift when I want to take advantage of the tourque band.

I use Mobil Super or Sunoco 94 with no difference in performance or MPG's between the two.

Gas mileage is inversley proportional to the weight of your right foot.

Murph
Old 07-16-02, 06:35 PM
RacingAristo

I have something between 15 ~ 16 mpg (mainly freeway). Something is wrong with my car..... I don't even have forced induction.
Old 07-20-02, 09:01 AM
hhodgetts
Driver School Candidate

22 MPG in mixed driving. And at every green light, I LAUNCH !!
Old 07-20-02, 10:33 AM
Paradise
Rookie

There appears to be a misunderstanding above.

In power mode the gear ratio is changed. The car will wait till higher revs are obtained before moving up a gear, getting more power/acceleration from the engine. Higher revs = higher fuel consumption. Higher revs = more engine wear.

I tend to flick into power mode only if I need to do a fast overtake, or I'm on urgent business, because my general driving style is high speed whjere possible, but i don't mind if it takes me that extra second to reach that high speed.

Question: There is nothing in the GS manual about being under a certain speed or in park to change pwr/snow mode ratios, however on other auto cars it tells you to only do so at under 30mph ect. Does anyone have any feedback on this point?
Old 07-20-02, 11:57 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Paradise: Close but the switch has nothing to do with gear ratios. The gear ratios stay the same but the transmission, which is electronically controlled, uses a different software map for selecting shift points (when to shift into what gear). That's why you can change it at any time, just changing the way the computer in your car decides when it's time to pick a gear.

I have no clue why anybody else would claim you need to do it parked or under a certain speed. Can you give an example of a car that has this requirement (Or are you talking about a real change of gear ratios with a transfer case in a 4WD SUV)?
Old 07-20-02, 01:02 PM
Paradise
Rookie

Wink

Mr Johnson. Excuse my lack of clarity. We both mean the same thing. By ratio I mean the number of revs at which point the car will change up to the next gear. So we seem to be saying the same thing. In the UK we would say ratio meaning this.

The vehicle which immedeatley springs to mind in answer to your Q is my cousins Rover 827si 2.7 litre huge engine. But I never understood why. Anyway I'm sure if it did something bad, it would warn us in the Lec manual.
Old 07-20-02, 01:21 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by Paradise
Mr Johnson. Excuse my lack of clarity.
Doggone it! When are you folks going to learn to speak proper english?!?

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 07-25-02, 07:20 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

I've averaged about 16-17 mpg overall with 60% local driving, always in power, always experimenting with accelleration. I get better mileage with my C5 - average 18-19, 16 in town, 25-28 on highway at 70-75. I only drive about 11000-12000 miles a year, so I'm looking at less than $50 per mpg per year. Less than an oil change.
Old 07-25-02, 09:51 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

There seems to be some serious confusion. Some people say that power mode does not decrease MPG and adds wear and tear to the engine and some people say that it is fine on the engine and MPG is not affected.

Which one is it?!?!?!

--

Last edited by Synergy; 07-25-02 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-26-02, 04:25 AM
Paradise
Rookie

Power mode = higher revs. Higher revs = higher wear. Higher revs = higher consumption.

Check the "Driving Tips" section of your GS Manual too for similar info on economy. No matter which mode you are in, it's your driving style which will affect the economy.

Accelerate hard...brake hard...accelerate hard driving is good for the adrenalin, but smooth and coming off the gas well in advance instread of braking harshly and keeping your distance will all improve economy as well as cruising.

Anyway, check the Lec Manual.

By the way do you or anyone know what the (3?) notches sticking out of the overhead inside roof panel are and are they an add-on? My Lec just has a flat surface on my glasses holder. Also what are the best brakes (must be dust free) that fit easily onto the GS?
Old 09-12-02, 02:52 PM
apanju
Rookie

Talking

Synergy....have a 98 GS4..17" factory no mods..90% city driving...on freeways get apprx 17-18mpg....no lead foot..except the occasional
Old 09-12-02, 03:10 PM
apanju
Rookie

Paradise

That would be the homelink system...the remote has 3 buttons to open 3 different garage dorrs etc...

Quick Reply: GS4 Gas Mileage