Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has anyone tried this on their exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-02, 09:22 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tried this on their exhaust?

Not sure what it would sound like or how loud, but has anyone tried using the stock mufflers without the center resonators in the stock exhaust system? Think it would be louder than an L-tuned exhaust or have the same 2K rpm droning?
Old 07-17-02, 05:09 PM
JYOO

Stop being cheap and pick up a used exhaust in the classified section!
Thats like sticking a baseball card in your bike tire, haha.
Old 07-18-02, 09:32 AM
GSman
Pole Position

I actually had the L-tuned exhuast and didn't like the 2K droning noise people have commented on. I'm just trying to get a little more aggressive sound than stock without the droning, is that possible?
Old 07-18-02, 09:43 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

I've got the Greddy PE on my car and I love it. I think it's probably one of the loudest on the market for GS's, though. It took me a few days to get used to it, but now it's great.

My V8 doesn't make it sound ricey at all, but instead gives it the nice low hum and growl when I open it up. I couldn't imagine having stock exhaust now after this.

So you took off the L-Tuned exhaust already, GSman?
Old 07-18-02, 02:58 PM
GSman
Pole Position

Yeah, the L-tuned is history. The L-tuned had a nice sound and wasn't too loud, it was the damn droning sound only at 2K rpm that was annoying.
Old 07-19-02, 11:42 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

I have RMM exhaust, they are great, not loud, but very nice, no droning, at least I don't hear it from inside the car (and yes, I do have good ears hee hee )

Last edited by BananaGS; 07-19-02 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-19-02, 04:00 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JYOO
Stop being cheap and pick up a used exhaust in the classified section!
Thats like sticking a baseball card in your bike tire, haha.
not nice, but funny!

x-tnsiv has greddy's for just $500 in the classifieds. they are loud as hell but these go way back to the middle of thecar where it starts to split. keep in mind, loud as hell and you'll hear it coming two blocks away least
Old 07-19-02, 07:54 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Thats not being cheap its called exploring alittle. Stop being mean!!!!!
Old 07-20-02, 09:29 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bravo261

not nice, but funny!

x-tnsiv has greddy's for just $500 in the classifieds. they are loud as hell but these go way back to the middle of thecar where it starts to split. keep in mind, loud as hell and you'll hear it coming two blocks away least
I wouldn't say that you can hear it two blocks away. That's a little far-fetched IMO. It's loud and you can hear it in 2nd and 3rd, but once you're higher than that, the sound dimishes a lot.

When you floor it with the Greddy PE, it sounds amazing. It's not loud, but has a smooth growl to it. Hard to explain......
Old 07-20-02, 07:27 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

GS Man,
I did not try what you have asked, but I did try something else, I changed out they y-pipe to a better flowing one. Here lemme show you

here is the stock one
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone tried this on their exhaust?-untitled-30.jpg  
Old 07-20-02, 07:30 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the new one (flow master collector with 2.5 inch pipes from the catalytic converter)

The car pulls much harder in the middle and top end. I do feel a seat of the pants difference, but don't have any dyno numbers. The car does seem to pick up much faster when I am on the freeway cruising 55 then just gunning it to about 75 or so.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone tried this on their exhaust?-y-pipe.jpg  
Old 07-21-02, 01:24 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by HI98GS
Here is the new one (flow master collector with 2.5 inch pipes from the catalytic converter)

The car pulls much harder in the middle and top end. I do feel a seat of the pants difference, but don't have any dyno numbers. The car does seem to pick up much faster when I am on the freeway cruising 55 then just gunning it to about 75 or so.
Whats up Ricky? Did you do this mod with or without the Tom's Barrel exhaust???? I though the Toms included this piece??
When I installed the SupraTT rear end on my car, my friend/mechanic and I looked at fabricating a pipe to start just after the cats and extend to where my greddy started.(eliminating the oval shaped resonator) We decided that if we did it without any resonator at all it would be too loud....Guess I was wrong? The pipe in your pics is the pipe that starts after the cats and resonator correct???....Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 07-21-02 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-21-02, 10:59 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Tiny,
You are correct. I started the 2.5 inch piping right after the 2nd O2 sensors. It goes to the 3 inch flowmaster collector.

The Tom's exhaust only goes from the resonator (first one) to the mufflers. It would have been awesome if it did go from the catalytic converter all the way back. As far as I know, I don't think anyone fabricates the Y-pipe just yet.

As for sound, It did get a little louder, but not by much. I did have the y-pipe installed before the Tom's exhaust and it did make a big difference even with the stock system. The addition of the exhaust, IMO, will now flow much better than before. I will be doing a write up of my experience after I have more seat time with my new toy.

aloha
ricky
Old 07-21-02, 04:02 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Did you install your new toy yet??? Lets get together so I can hear what it sounds like...
Old 07-22-02, 04:32 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a torque converter...your RPM will go up and the droning might go away

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried this on their exhaust?