Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

06isDriver intake build

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 11:07 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 06isDriver intake build

Hey 06isDriver-

Your sig has contained the following for a while:

coming soon: the first air conditioned intake. By my own design...stay tuned. Parts have arrived! Brackets and hoses...Almost complete. I'm setting a 2 month deadline. call me on it. more info by 9/14/2010 guaranteed
Today is 9/16/2010

So where's the update?

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-18-10 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 11:18 AM
uaaction
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol kurtz had his calendar set on him haha
Old 09-16-10, 11:35 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey it says to call him on it according to his sig. hope he comes through with some pics.
Old 09-16-10, 11:45 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol.....I knew someone would say something.

I expect to be done with it tonight. I had some parts finally arrive yesterday and i didnt have time to mess with it. Not to mention that I stupidly forced a nut onto some burred threads and got it stuck. So I have to deal with that first, but I still think I'll get it hooked up and fully functional.

Seeing that prototyping this thing has cost me all of my expendable money, I wont be able to have it dynoed until next month at the earliest. Unless there was some sort of dyno fund.....

I'm not sure how I will present it to you guys, the patent process takes quite a bit of time and I am currently speaking with a patent lawyer on some potentiallyl conflicting prior patents (due to VERY broad wording). So, as you can understand I'd rather not spill all the beans until I'm sure I can do something with them.

I'll think of something.
Old 09-16-10, 01:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

"I have developed an intake that cost X dollars, takes Y amount of effort/part removal/time/etc to install, and it produces results Z on a dyno"

No need to describe any of the specific workings of the device till you're legally covered on em beyond the above really.

(though I'd be a bit surprised if prior art doesn't make actually patenting an intake a serious serious serious PITA)
Old 09-16-10, 02:15 PM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, nice Kurtz I forgot today was the BIG day.

I just wanna know how much power and how efficient this intake is.
Old 09-16-10, 05:45 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I'm beginning to think this thread was intended to make fun of me. If thats the case, I dont appreciate it.

Im not patenting the intake. I'm patenting the method of cooling the incoming charge air.
Old 09-16-10, 07:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
I'm beginning to think this thread was intended to make fun of me. If thats the case, I dont appreciate it.

Im not patenting the intake. I'm patenting the method of cooling the incoming charge air.
I can't speak for anyone else in the thread... but I started it because I recalled you said to call you on it if you hadn't reported more information by a certain date (on a mod there'd been considerable debate as to if it would really do much or not) and the date had passed.

Simple as that.

Anyway, as I said, I think folks'll be more interested in the cost, dyno results, and a basic idea of the install involved (like "it'll take X hours to install" or if it'll make any irreversible changes to the intake or anything)

No real need for specifics unless they're really relevant to the install (like "you have to refill it with dry ice daily" or something whacky)
Old 09-16-10, 08:48 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

well lets not put the horse before the carriage, I couldnt even begin to tell you any kind of numbers for price, whp, or install time.

What I can tell you is that I designed the entire system so as not to make any permanent changes to the vehicle. It also incorporates a hood sealed design that fits like a glove. It utilizes the stock snorkel and stock bottom. This was to reduce the cost.

The system sprung a leak in the main cooling apparatus and I had to stop tests tonight. I dont have time to fix it because I have an 8am meeting. Please remember, I'm just a regular guy with regular money and no time.

In fact, I also wonder what hp, if any, this entire system will bring to the table, but I'm in it up to my eyeballs and cant stop now. If it fails to begin with, I'll add it to the elleventy billion other failures along this prototyping path and forge on. I have more ideas to improve the system already. I just dont have the money or time to fly off on every handle I conjure up.

If this does well, version 2 will do much better, and then version three will put them all to shame. It's a process, please be patient.

OH yeah, theres nothing crazy about the install or maintenance. install once, and leave it be.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 12-28-10 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 11:01 PM
RDAVILA702
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this anything like a Killer Chiller?
Old 09-17-10, 04:30 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

no I dont believe so.
Old 09-17-10, 05:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
well lets not put the carriage before the horse, I couldnt even begin to tell you any kind of numbers for price, whp, or install time.

What I can tell you is that I designed the entire system so as not to make any permanent changes to the vehicle. It also incorporates a hood sealed design that fits like a glove. It utilizes the stock snorkel and stock bottom. This was to reduce the cost.

The system sprung a leak in the main cooling apparatus and I had to stop tests tonight. I dont have time to fix it because I have an 8am meeting. Please remember, I'm just a regular guy with regular money and no time.

In fact, I also wonder what hp, if any, this entire system will bring to the table, but I'm in it up to my eyeballs and cant stop now. If it fails to begin with, I'll add it to the elleventy billion other failures along this prototyping path and forge on. I have more ideas to improve the system already. I just dont have the money or time to fly off on every handle I conjure up.

If this does well, version 2 will do much better, and then version three will put them all to shame. It's a process, please be patient.

OH yeah, theres nothing crazy about the install or maintenance. install once, and leave it be.

Hey, that's all fine... you just said there'd be an update by now, so I asked for an update.

Get it done when you can get it done, and hopefully there's worthwhile gains in it.

Even if there isn't, I think the intake temp data you've already shared in previous testing work you've done was a pretty interesting and valuable contribution so there'll at least be that from the effort.
Old 09-17-10, 07:12 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

ok great, Im glad we understand each other. I'll definitely have it up and running this weekend.
Old 09-17-10, 07:27 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RDAVILA702
Is this anything like a Killer Chiller?
As I look at this killer chiller, it does have the similarity that it make the air colder, but it seems to use the stock motor driven ac system to drive its cooling apparatus.

It looks like it connects in series to your main ac lines and siphons that off from your in cabin cooling.

I dunno, that just doesnt seem like a good use of resources. Plus it takes 40-60 amps to run the system and alternator upgrade is required. And its only for super or turbo applications. This does give me great hope that my system on a boosted application would see similar gains. Looks like its picking up about 9.5-10% gains, which is pretty good.

Howd you guys like 25-30 whp? I sure would, although I expect much less but we will see.

My system operates on 18-20 amps, and uses about 240 watts. This is consistent with any aftermarket stereo usage and should be fine for all applications. Its not magic and no pixie dust, just really efficient at turning wasted energy into something useful, hopefully.
Old 09-18-10, 12:58 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well look at it this way. on a hot summer day, lets say the IS350 has around 300 bhp. And on 40 degree weather it can be up to 320 bhp easy.

Quick Reply: 06isDriver intake build