Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE Header , CEL and VSC - 2007 IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 11:36 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marine1342
I did get the o2 simulator from PPE, and followed the instructions provided. It came with three sheets, one with word instructions, the other had an image of the ECU and which pins to cut (although the image showed different pins from the word instructions), and a wiring diagram that wasn't really legible.
The set up I have is PPE headers with o2 sensors and the extensions, stock midpipe, stock secondary o2 sensors and HKS exhaust (stock from 07).
Just cleared the CEL/VSC from the other day and so far hasn't come back on. Granted I haven't driven it much in the last two days, guess I'll see tomorrow.
Besides checking for continuity on the wires, everything is hooked up properly, as per the instructions.
Did anyone else follow the word instructions and not have any problems?
Prolly should retighten the header too. Read somewhere that this might affect it?
I have the o2 conditioner (simulator whatever) from PPE and they even verfied based off of pictures that it was hooked up correctly.. however i'm still getting p0159 CEL code. I've switched out the o2 sensor itself (as ppe reccomended) and i'm still getting the error. Next they said to recheck the wiring, check for exhaust leaks, and check to see if any wiring connected to the system may be frayed... only thing i'm not sure about is the exhaust leak, the rest of it is hooked up solid. I'm almost outta ideas... Any thoughts?
Old 03-13-12, 10:31 PM
marine1342
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone on here said that after about 500 miles of installing the headers, to re-tighten the header. I just finished installing my PPE headers and had the CEL.
No exhaust leak (had a mechanic verify it), wiring seems solid (still need to confirm with PPE), but haven't had a chance to check the secondary o2 sensors or re-tighten the header.
Unfortunetly after about 3 or 4 days after installing the headers, I leave work early and sitting at a unprotected green light, waiting to turn left and what happens?
BAM!
Rear-ended....
So now my exhaust is hanging all odd from the back, rattles snaps and pops as I drive, leaks from idk where now.
Getting the repairs started on Monday, hopefully they can just put it all back together to working condition.
Bumpers cracked too.
I absolutely hate having to pay for other people's stupidity/mistakes.
Sure her insurance will pay for the damages (which I'm sure will be a battle back and forth), but what will be left on my car will be the accident report (I hope they don't report it.....)....
Sorry, had to rant, I'm done.
Old 03-15-12, 10:30 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

That suck to hear about the accident. Did you ever check what the CEL code was for?
Old 03-15-12, 11:41 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that when I installed my o2 conditioner, I was first confused by the color markings they indicated and what I was seeing. The pin location was correct, but the color they were saying it was supposed to be was not.

I first tried the color combo they said and I got the same p0159 initially. Then, I spliced into the pin location, and it worked like a charm.

Are you certain the o2 conditioner is powered? What are the voltages its getting and sending?
Old 03-15-12, 12:49 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
I know that when I installed my o2 conditioner, I was first confused by the color markings they indicated and what I was seeing. The pin location was correct, but the color they were saying it was supposed to be was not.

I first tried the color combo they said and I got the same p0159 initially. Then, I spliced into the pin location, and it worked like a charm.

Are you certain the o2 conditioner is powered? What are the voltages its getting and sending?
Thanks 06

By any chance to you remember what pin or color you hooked the power up into? I haven't checked the voltages yet, I would assume this would be done with just a multi meter when the car is on? Do you know what voltages it should be?
Old 03-17-12, 04:28 PM
marine1342
Rookie

I did check the CEL code and it said (don't have the codes on me right now) that the bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2 were reading too low.
I cleared it with the scanner and then after driving for a while (about 25-30 miles) it came back on again.
I'll have to check to see what I spliced into (wire color or pin).
But for anyone that installed the o2 conditioner, did you end up following the discription of the wire color or the pin location?
Car goes into the shop on Monday morning, so hopefully I can get rid of the CEL before then.
But then again, my exhaust and muffler is bent and rattles now when I accelerate. And pops too.
Old 03-17-12, 05:04 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Tighten up the header bolt after driving it awhile is a common thing to do. Cause when they warm up the nuts loosen out some. It recommend by most performance shop who know there stuff. But I had bank1 sensor2 after 2month of driving after the install. Replace both seconday o2 sensor while I was doing one and that code never came back. But I'm running the HFC not the o2 conditioner.
Old 03-19-12, 08:43 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go by the pin location. I forget the color but it should be a slightly thicker wire and should be 12 volts or higher if you tap it with a multimeter when the ignition is on.
Old 03-19-12, 07:46 PM
aly250
Pole Position

is it possible to pass emissions with ppe headers?
Old 03-19-12, 08:29 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Yes with the cats installed. Depending how strick your emission is.
Old 03-19-12, 09:26 PM
marine1342
Rookie

Thanks 06, I'll have to take a look at it when my car gets back from the shop. I'm getting two codes, so I read somewhere that more than likely this is a wrong wiring set up.
Until then I'm rocking a new 2012 Camry Hybrid for the loaner
Old 03-20-12, 06:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aly250
is it possible to pass emissions with ppe headers?
Legally? no, it's not.

That doesn't mean your inspection place won't bother doing a visual inspection though, which means as long as you avoid a CEL you should pass. (or that they won't do a visual but have no idea WTF they're seeing/looking for and still pass you).

But technically these are illegal in all 50 states
Old 04-06-12, 08:30 PM
marine1342
Rookie

So finally got the car back from the body shop. Took a look at the o2 simulator and all the wires were correct with the exception of the ground. Followed the pin loactions and connected it to the correct one. Tested the line and it was reading over 12v when on. ODBII reset, no light and started driving. Got to work and the CEL VSC light comes back on. Read the code, and same one as before. Both rear o2 sensor voltage is reading too low.
I'm at wits end on this one. Maybe the o2 sensors are bad which is causing this message but I doubt it. Car barely has 63k on it. Only mods on the car for engine are JoeZ intake and HKS exhaust (factory option in 07). Never had any issues before the PPE headers.
Only 2 things left to try are to re-torque the header and maybe switch out the o2 sensors (but at about 100 each kinda hesitant...)
Does anyone have any pictures of how they wired their o2 conditioner up? In terms of what went where? I really just hope its something as stupid as wrong wire wrong hole...
Old 04-06-12, 08:58 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by marine1342
So finally got the car back from the body shop. Took a look at the o2 simulator and all the wires were correct with the exception of the ground. Followed the pin loactions and connected it to the correct one. Tested the line and it was reading over 12v when on. ODBII reset, no light and started driving. Got to work and the CEL VSC light comes back on. Read the code, and same one as before. Both rear o2 sensor voltage is reading too low.
I'm at wits end on this one. Maybe the o2 sensors are bad which is causing this message but I doubt it. Car barely has 63k on it. Only mods on the car for engine are JoeZ intake and HKS exhaust (factory option in 07). Never had any issues before the PPE headers.
Only 2 things left to try are to re-torque the header and maybe switch out the o2 sensors (but at about 100 each kinda hesitant...)
Does anyone have any pictures of how they wired their o2 conditioner up? In terms of what went where? I really just hope its something as stupid as wrong wire wrong hole...
I have the exact same problem. My mechanic has gone over the entire install about 4 times so far and has replaced both o2 sensors for me (for free at that ). PPE has even verified my wiring is correct and my CEL and VSC come on every day throwing the code P0159. PPE has been great in customer service and has worked with me every step of the way. First they replaced the o2 conditioner, still the same problem. So they went ahead and shipped me (for free again thanks PPE!) the weld on 90 degree bungs for the midpipe. I've heard of alot of successes with these so its what we are gonna try next.

Even with the problems these headers are my favorite mod!
Old 01-27-14, 01:00 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

any luck with fixing the CEL? i get random cells already with only tanabe and joez intake. headers should be on in a few weeks. i just have to see what other parts ill need since i bought them used.
i cant stand driving with the vsc especially here in sfl with these random showers.

Quick Reply: PPE Header , CEL and VSC - 2007 IS 350