Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 08:08 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
PPE im so excited to see the progress on these coming along. The headers are looking great! Can't wait to buy a set. What are the chances of these cracking like S&S? They definately look much better build quality. What type of metal are these and what are our options as far as ceramic coatings and price? Im sure many people want too know.
ANY exhaust manifold/header can crack. PPE has a great deal of experience so hopefully they will not have any problems. The 2nd gen S&S increased tubing wall thickness and added welding to counter the original cracking and I am unaware of any of those cracking.

I wanted stainless with the S&S but they were not set up to build stainless whereas PPE certainly is. Obviously stainless will cost more than mild but would not require coating. That said ceramic over mild steel will likely outlast vehicle ownership for most.
Old 10-03-10, 11:17 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anymore news PPE? I know were all dying to hear the pics and see the updates.
Old 10-13-10, 10:48 AM
BigSexy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPE Headers

I emailed PPE yesterday and this is the picture they sent me when I asked about headers for the GS400-430. I imagine they will give details shortly as far as cost, timeframe, release date etc.

Doesnt look like they will be making Long Tubes due to the lack of interest in the market for those since they delete the 2 primary cats....some people dont like to go there, but the stock exhaust is so easy to unbolt in one HUGE piece that it wouldnt matter to me, I would prefer Long Tubes but shorty's are great too. Looking forward to buying a pair.
Attached Thumbnails Long tube headers-ppe-ceramic-coated-headers.jpg  
Old 10-13-10, 10:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wish they could do something so we cali guys can keep our stock heat shield. These Smog check guys don't like shiny things under the hood.
Old 10-13-10, 11:53 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Wow the headers look great!! Can't wait till we get the details on price and available etc... i wonder if these could make better numbers than the S&S headers? They look to be better flowing...
Old 10-13-10, 12:00 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man...I would be interested in a long tube for my car. Those shorties don't look too bad.
Old 10-13-10, 12:04 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedaddic
Man...I would be interested in a long tube for my car. Those shorties don't look too bad.
In another post somewhere in this thread, they said they could make a custom longtube if someone was interested. I'm thinking if we get 5-10 people interested in longtubes then we could cut a GB deal. Anyone else interested in Longtubes??
Old 10-13-10, 12:34 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

i'm in 100%
Old 10-13-10, 01:15 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

If they make some long tube ones great.. but I am STOKED about these shorties.. cant wait to get rid of the factory headers! GO PPE!!
Old 10-13-10, 01:35 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if there would be any gains with going long tubes over the shortys the are making. I guessing more sound, but would it result in better HP or Tq numbers? Could it make worse numbers due to there being TOO much flow? Jbrady? lol
Old 10-13-10, 01:51 PM
BigSexy
Rookie

I think that its definitely possible for long tubes to be a disadvantage on different engine types and the only way to find out is to test them on the UZ engine line.
I know when 99'-04 modular engines were produced for the mustangs it was dyno proven that you were better off with the shorty headers over the long tubes UNLESS you were to supercharge it.
I have a 67 Mustang and the engine is so simple and mechanical that throwing long tubes on it really gives you a substantial boost in power, but like I said it has to be tested.

This is a question only a shop like PPE can answer for us.
Old 10-13-10, 01:55 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigSexy
I think that its definitely possible for long tubes to be a disadvantage on different engine types and the only way to find out is to test them on the UZ engine line.
I know when 99'-04 modular engines were produced for the mustangs it was dyno proven that you were better off with the shorty headers over the long tubes UNLESS you were to supercharge it.
I have a 67 Mustang and the engine is so simple and mechanical that throwing long tubes on it really gives you a substantial boost in power, but like I said it has to be tested.

This is a question only a shop like PPE can answer for us.
Exactly, I'm pretty sure that long tubes WILL actually hurt your performance. I know our cars are very easily agitated when modding the exhaust system. Theres alot of torque to be lost when theres is to much flow and not enough back pressure. PLUS the cat will be removed freeing up even more flow. Hurry up PPE!! were all waiting!
Old 10-13-10, 01:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Actually more back pressure is worse if you want to make more power.
Old 10-13-10, 02:01 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Actually more back pressure is worse if you want to make more power.
Isn't less back pressure good for higher end power but it hurts low end power and torque?
Old 10-13-10, 02:18 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

In my case, I don't see it hurting performance. Its something we would have to test. On the chevy LSx based #'s long tube is preferred over the shorties.

Quick Reply: Long tube headers