Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Calling Joe-Z, Problem with Joe-Z Race Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 09:32 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Calling Joe-Z, Problem with Joe-Z Race Exhaust

So I didn't have a camera to take pictures but just got back from the mechanic who is installing my Joe-Z race exhaust on my 2006 IS350.

The right rear exhaust was so low (even after full adjustment of the right tail pipe flange) they had to bend down the bracket that attached to that rubber grommet. So now the right tail pipe is still 1" lower than the left, but you can see the metal attachment bracket.

He raised the car on the lift and showed me. I concurred that there is no way to raise that right tail pipe, so he is going to have to take the metal bracket from the IS350 that holds the rubber piece, cut it and re-weld it to try to get it perfect.

Needless to say after $1600 on this exhaust I am not happy to spend at least another $300 for custom cutting and welding. My wife has my car now as he didn't have time to weld it today. I will get pictures of how it is hanging right now.

Additional information, I did see that the pipe was turned all the way (adjustment) it can't go anymore or it will hit the rear transmission. He said before adjustment it was off about 3", best we could do, even bending the bracket, was still off 1".

He seemed to think when they made this particular exhaust the right tailpipe maybe slipped on the jig just a hair. Either way, I am extremely disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails Calling Joe-Z, Problem with Joe-Z Race Exhaust-photo-7.jpg   Calling Joe-Z, Problem with Joe-Z Race Exhaust-photo-8.jpg  

Last edited by DOUGLis350; 09-25-10 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Pics
Old 09-25-10, 10:27 PM
uaaction
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all joeZ exhaust are like dat.... mine is the same way i used small intake clamps that i bought in your near by autostore and i just put it over the rubber hanger and screw it in tighter.... good luck

serg
Old 09-26-10, 01:08 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Hi Serg, they are not "all like that"..

To the OP:

Sorry to hear this has occured.

We just installed one the other day with ZERO issues.

Before any bending or cutting is done or attempted or even considered....

Simple adjustments on the mid pipe would have corrected this installers issue.
The mid pipe needed to be loosened & adjusted where it connects to the X-pipe..

Only then, once you have the entire exhaust properly lined up, do you fully tighten ALL the bolts..

All the exhausts are clamped down on the jigs during welding. All exhausts are built and welded exactly the same way.

There must NOT be any modifying done to install this exhaust. The installer must properly align the system before trying to bend and reweld things. Especially the OEM bracket..
This is NOT part of the installation process.

Below is a shot of a proper install...

Originally Posted by Joe Z

There is room for adjustments to those 4 bolts, which will control how high / low the tips sit off the bumper exhaust cut out holes.

For example on my car when we first installed it and took pics, there was a 2 finger gap.. After the exhaust burned and settled in its place, I went back and loosened the 2 rear sections and adjusted as high as I could..

Which is just about a 1 finger gap now...

Perfect if you're running an aftermarket lip and want to adjust how high or low you want the exhaust tips to sit.

The mufflers are not lower than stock. If anything they might be just as high or slightly higher..
They are just a lot more visible since they are polished.
The tip design is finalized for these two versions.

Before adjustment

After adjustment

If your going back to this installer, he must take the time to adjust the mid pipe as well..
However, now that he has bent the hangers on the muffler section I am not sure what his new outcome will be..

A 1/2 inch adjustment in the middle can be a 2-3 inch adjustment for the Tip locations...

Either way some un-necessary steps are being taken for this simple bolt on system.

Let me know if you have any further questions for this install issue.

Regards,
Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-26-10 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-26-10, 01:37 AM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen 3 Joe-Z exhausts on different members cars and they all have perfect fitment. I've owned almost every exhaust available for the 2IS, & Lexus performance exhausts(F-Sport, Lexus HKS), both have the same issue where one tip is angled, and hangs lower then another. Something I've never seen on a Joe-Z exhaust.

Last edited by MiiK350; 09-26-10 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-27-10, 10:22 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

OK, I am not sure what to do. At this point can Joe-Z or someone else please tell me the exact distance from the passenger side muffler to the top of the hanger tip so I can put it back to original spec.
Old 09-27-10, 10:48 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ That’s gonna be a tough one..

I would have them realign the system as I described above first.

They will have to heat it up to bend it back into place once they start putting it in the correct location.

Joe Z
Old 09-28-10, 09:24 AM
kenny_evo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MiiK350
I've seen 3 Joe-Z exhausts on different members cars and they all have perfect fitment. I've owned almost every exhaust available for the 2IS, & Lexus performance exhausts(F-Sport, Lexus HKS), both have the same issue where one tip is angled, and hangs lower then another. Something I've never seen on a Joe-Z exhaust.
Installed couple Greddy SE Exhaust to my buddies IS250/IS350 with no issue at all as well.
Old 09-28-10, 12:18 PM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Will report back, but as an aside, this thing sounds AWESOME!
Old 09-29-10, 05:01 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Ok. The guy fixed it without any welding. What he did was made the holes bigger at the mid pipe flange so he could turn it up a half inch to fix the right pipe.

He bent the bracket back so it is as good as new now. The instructions you gave helped so thank you. He did not charge me anymore. So it was 80 total for the install.

There is slightly over a 2 finger gap on each side.

Raisiing the entire exhaust up would be good to a 1 finger gap but at least it is even for now.
Old 09-29-10, 12:17 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Well I'm glad that all worked out... Wonder if he attempted to adjust the mid & x-pipe..?!

Either way lets see some corrected pics!!

Thanks
Joe Z
Old 09-30-10, 09:17 PM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Tired but wanted to get a pic up. Will get more in about a week. I know the right tip looks off, but it is just the angle of the camera. They are actually even.
Attached Thumbnails Calling Joe-Z, Problem with Joe-Z Race Exhaust-photo-9.jpg  
Old 09-12-11, 11:18 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any one that has joez pts install rear gfx without cutting,