Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New GTech results in...I still gotta practice :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 07:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New GTech results in...I still gotta practice :)

Just did 2 runs on my Gtech (my friend borrowed it for the last 3 months). First weather here on Long Island is about 60 degrees and low humidity; very dry. Barely any wind where I am when I was doing these two tests. I used the same strip of road going in the same direction for both runs...a relatively flat, straight road.

I had a 1/2 tank of gas, full spare, my 19" wheels and had the ECT PWR on for both of these runs. I tried the first run with traction control OFF and the second run with traction control ON.

RESULTS:

I STILL to this day do NOT know how to properly launch my car without either losing GOBS of traction or letting off the gas too much...the following results show just how much I let off the gas to try to re-gain traction off the line.

RUN #1 Traction control OFF

60' = 2.37 sec
0-60 mph = 5.835 sec
330' = 6.163 sec
1/8 mile = 9.327 @ 79.82 mph
1000' = 12.026 sec
1/4 mile = 14.318 @ 98.38 mph

The next run I decided to use the handicap of traction control because obviously I still do not know how to properly launch my car without massive traction problems. So now I tried with traction control ON.

Run #2 Traction control ON

60' = 2.217 sec
0-60 mph = 5.460 sec
330' = 6.023 sec
1/8 mile = 9.055 @ 84 mph
1000' = 11.607 sec
1/4 mile = 13.754 @ 105.44 mph

So, from the results my run #1 first 1/8th mile was greatly effected by loss of traction where I had to tak my foot off the gas a re-apply; killing times and performance which in turn effected my 1/4 mile and trap speed. In run #2 I still had a little wheelspin but then traction control kicked in and retarded the accelerator to regain traction (I still had the pedal mashed though). From this my 60' still kinda sucked but it still showed that the car is very capable for a modded NA GS400. BTW, my trap speeds were probably a little inflated because I used a 6" roll-out on my GTech setup.

I estimate that if I would go with a better rear tire (like Michelin PS2 or Toyo T1R's) and went to a 35 series tire instead of my VERY thin sidewalled 30 series along with traction off I BET I could get my 0-60 down to or damn near close to 5 seconds flat and the 1/4 mile down to around 13.4 seconds. We all know that the worst way to launch is by having traction control ON. But in my situation I had no choice and I just wanted to see how the results would compare. Sometimes I think my 3000 stall torque converter is my own worst enemy.

Thanks for reading guys. I will do more testing when I get a chance. Now that the winter time is coming I will be throwing on my OEM 16" wheels and I will buy nice sticky rear all seasons for them; then I will do more run also with this setup...it will also be even cooler out by that time.

Nick

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 10-03-10 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-03-10, 04:35 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ........................

I used a gtech a few years ago.
I have an 02 430, best 0-60 was 5.57 on stock 17's with a heavy system in trunk. Traction control was off.
I dont understand how you got such a good 0-60 with the traction control on, whenever I leave it on and step on it, it bogs badly. My best 0-60 with traction control on was about a full second slower than with it off.
Oh yeah, I have a 2800 stall converter. Thats it.

Last edited by LALEX1; 10-03-10 at 04:36 PM. Reason: error
Old 10-03-10, 08:07 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Well, the heavy system in the trunk probably helped you with traction. I will throw my box back in my trunk as well and do some runs with the traction OFF this time.

I got such a good 0-60 time because I am still pushing more power than what you had on your setup. Point is with proper weight in the rear (and tires) giving me better traction with traction control off should yield closer to 5.0/5.1 0-60 times. Which would make sense.

Also, one day do me a favor and weigh your 17" stock wheels and tires. I am SURE they are EACH 10lbs lighter than my 19" wheels. Eventhough my 19's are 2-pc forged they still weigh 30.5 lbs; with tires the rear wheel/tire combo is a whopping 62 lbs EACH! Smaller, lighter wheels with stickier tires and thicker sidewalls are definitely better for racing IMHO. Larger wheels just look nicer to me. I guess you can't have it all though.
Old 10-03-10, 08:59 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Default ....................

I understand you're making more power than me. what I meant was my traction control kicks in and completely slows me down. I raced my friend in an 04 ls430 with traction control on he destroyed me. With traction control off, i took him by about a car length.
So basically, even if i had 100 more horsepower than you, i dont see how i would get a fast time with my traction control on. Im just wondering if something is wrong with my traction control.
Old 10-03-10, 09:05 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

imagine boost.. MUAHAHAHAHAHA... MUAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 10-03-10, 09:43 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Default .........................

you mean like this????

Old 10-03-10, 09:52 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes please .
New GTech results in...I still gotta practice :)-dscn3581.jpg
Old 10-04-10, 05:41 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LALEX1
I understand you're making more power than me. what I meant was my traction control kicks in and completely slows me down. I raced my friend in an 04 ls430 with traction control on he destroyed me. With traction control off, i took him by about a car length.
So basically, even if i had 100 more horsepower than you, i dont see how i would get a fast time with my traction control on. Im just wondering if something is wrong with my traction control.
I understand. Well, look at it this way - If you have a car making X power and say traction control bogs the power down by Y amount. If all of a sudden that same car is making X+1 power the traction control is now going to bog the power down by the same Y amount...eventhough the car would still bog down, as soon as traction control regains traction and stops "bogging" - the car with more power will regain VERY quickly as compared to the lowered powered car.

Also, another little piece of information I left out. I also have the 3.76 Supra TT LSD; which EVERYONE knows actually HURTS 0-60 times because NOW my car shifts into 3rd gear at 58.X mph instead of the stock 61.X mph...and my times are still good which makes me happy.

The only reason why I got this rear end is for the limited slip differential. The 3.76 ratio as mentioned previously kills 0-60 times from the stock 3.26 gearing. HOWEVER, it HELPS overall in 1/4 mile performance as it does provide quicker acceleration at any speed. Certain performance points like 0-60 tests unfortunately get effected due to the required extra gear change. IMHO a 3.5X or a 3.6X LSD would be the best for our (V8 Lexus) cars if it existed.

I will post some videos up when I get a chance. I am not sure who else on these forums have the same exact mods as me. Some have I/E/H but no Neo or no high stall TC, some have I/E, Neo and a high stall TC but no headers or 3.76 LSD etc etc. I am not sure if there are others that have most NA mods done like me.

The only other bolt-on mods that I can think of is a VB upgrade in the tranny for faster shifts and perhaps more extensive exhaust work (I only have a Borla rear section - the rest is all stock).
Old 10-04-10, 05:43 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LALEX1
you mean like this????

you guys are such a tease...lucky SOB's ...lol!
Attached Thumbnails New GTech results in...I still gotta practice :)-dscn3581.jpg  
Old 10-04-10, 08:30 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Rock-a-Lex; I am not sure who else on these forums have the same exact mods as me. Some have I/E/H but no Neo or no high stall TC, some have I/E, Neo and a high stall TC but no headers or 3.76 LSD etc etc. I am not sure if there are others that have most NA mods done like me.

QUOTE]

I have the same set-up as you except 3.76 LSD. I have not dynoed my car yet though. Great numbers, now I'm kinda curious to see what my numbers might be.
Old 10-05-10, 11:03 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=dsouth;5838959]
Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex; I am not sure who else on these forums have the same exact mods as me. Some have I/E/H but no Neo or no high stall TC, some have I/E, Neo and a high stall TC but no headers or 3.76 LSD etc etc. I am not sure if there are others that have most NA mods done like me.

I have the same set-up as you except 3.76 LSD. I have not dynoed my car yet though. Great numbers, now I'm kinda curious to see what my numbers might be.
nice...yeah, the car really moves right?
Old 10-05-10, 12:34 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

nice! you got below 14 sec.
Old 10-05-10, 09:57 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Rock-a-Lex;5840345]
Originally Posted by dsouth

nice...yeah, the car really moves right?
Hell yea.
Old 10-05-10, 10:15 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Good numbers rock! Watch out, I'm slowly creeping up behind you with mods. I might have to road trip those 10,000 miles to long island so we can figure out whose the fastest NA
Old 10-06-10, 09:28 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Good numbers rock! Watch out, I'm slowly creeping up behind you with mods. I might have to road trip those 10,000 miles to long island so we can figure out whose the fastest NA
lol...too funny. I suspect you would be after getting the remaining mods that you are missing from my list. Reason being: you have the 3.92 gearing...slightly more aggresive than mine so it may give you the edge. But you don't have an LSD on that diff so I may actually be better off because I will hook better. lol

Who knows...oh, don't forget to get the Torque Master spark plugs and use Royal Purple fluids in all. The TM spark plugs are proven to add almost 5whp and people (as well as I) swear by the RP fluids!

My wheels do suck for racing as well though too...

Quick Reply: New GTech results in...I still gotta practice :)