Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS250 S/C installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 11:50 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the camcon wouldnt work at all?

http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/pr...con/camcon.htm
Old 11-01-10, 11:53 AM
pepos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raralith
Maybe I missed it but did you get a baseline dyno? And I'm not sure how you are going to hide the supercharge whining from your wife!
Yes i did a base dyno and it's not my wife but my buddy's
Old 11-01-10, 11:55 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That flutter is kind of cool LOL I don't think mine does that haha. If I were you I'd look into meth.
Old 11-01-10, 12:03 PM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
The Compatibility list in the jp site doesn't mention the 4GR-fse engine.
Old 11-01-10, 12:11 PM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
That flutter is kind of cool LOL I don't think mine does that haha. If I were you I'd look into meth.
Yea and now it's working perfectly.
If you connect VAC/BOOST to port A only you 'll have the same effect.
I was leaking VAC from port B.
Meth will be my last option.
I'll try to tune AFR and Timing first.
Old 11-01-10, 12:18 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I see that now. The sales website says it was compatible with the is250/350 but I dont see the pinout diagram anywhere either. you've already got one coming anyway....if its the same kind as the one on Elite's twin turbo is-f, I'm sure it'll do what you need.
Old 11-01-10, 12:27 PM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
yeah I see that now. The sales website says it was compatible with the is250/350 but I dont see the pinout diagram anywhere either. you've already got one coming anyway....if its the same kind as the one on Elite's twin turbo is-f, I'm sure it'll do what you need.
Not only they don't have a pinout but our ride isn't in their official application list and i don't know why the US site mentiones that CAMCON is compatible with the ISx50's
Fingers crossed that Andy will do it.
If he don't make it i'll start my own research which will take a lot of time.
Hey Andy fix me up please.
Old 11-01-10, 12:35 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Not bad from your baseline, from 192 bhp/149 whp to 270 bhp. The drivetrain loss seems a bit high, anyone know if that's the average for IS 250 or not enough people dyno them at 22.4%? Even using that drivetrain loss though and assuming it stays constant (which it doesn't...), possible 209+ whp is a hell of an increase.
Old 11-01-10, 12:47 PM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by Raralith
Not bad from your baseline, from 192 bhp/149 whp to 270 bhp. The drivetrain loss seems a bit high, anyone know if that's the average for IS 250 or not enough people dyno them at 22.4%? Even using that drivetrain loss though and assuming it stays constant (which it doesn't...), possible 209+ whp is a hell of an increase.
The base you mention was done in a different dyno (TAT) which is very strict.
The new reading on that Dyno (TAT) are 250 BHP
The base dyno on DASTEK was 204 BHP 24 Kg of Torque and 170 WHP.
Sorry for the mess but i take readings in two dynos to compare.
TAT is like your Mustang.
Dastek is like your DynoJet.
Old 11-01-10, 03:54 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
IMHO - Compressor surge is very much the un-cool. Just say'n
Old 11-01-10, 05:12 PM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by Gaugster
IMHO - Compressor surge is very much the un-cool. Just say'n
I don't think that compressor surge is so uncool.
Makes good noise.
In fact there is no problem at all with backpressure and centrifugal sc.
Other kinds might have a problem but centrifugals can stand it.
You can even run the setup without BOV or by pass valve at all and not harm your blower but you loose in response when you step on the pedal again so a pressure relief is welcome.

http://www.custom-car.us/superchargers/centrifugal.aspx

In addition, the centrifugal supercharger is able to "free wheel", which means that it is not adversely affected when air flows backward through the supercharger, as may occur under quick deceleration or while changing gears. This means that the throttle body does not need to be moved or relocated to the front of the supercharger as is the case with positive-displacement superchargers. This means that stock throttle response will not be compromised. What happens when the throttle is closed at high RPM, such as when you change gears, is that the pressure between the supercharger and the closed throttle will build up until it exceeds the boost pressure being supplied by the supercharger. The air between the supercharger and the closed throttle will then flow back through the supercharger relieving the pressure. The reverse air flow back through the supercharger is called surge and doesn't cause any harm. However, it does contribute to the noise produced by the centrifugal supercharger. Though this noise caused by surging can be mitigated by installing a blowoff valve either at the supercharger outlet port or near the throttle plate. However, the main source of noise caused by a centrifugal supercharger is the result of the step-up gears that allow the compressor wheel to spin at speeds in excess of 40,000 RPM. Powerdyne counteracts this noise in their Silent-Drive centrifugal superchargers by using an internal belt to drive the compressor wheel rather than step-up gears.

Last edited by pepos; 11-01-10 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-01-10, 06:40 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by pepos
I don't think that compressor surge is so uncool.
Makes good noise.
In fact there is no problem at all with backpressure and centrifugal sc.
Other kinds might have a problem but centrifugals can stand it.
You can even run the setup without BOV or by pass valve at all and not harm your blower but you loose in response when you step on the pedal again so a pressure relief is welcome.

http://www.custom-car.us/superchargers/centrifugal.aspx

In addition, the centrifugal supercharger is able to "free wheel", which means that it is not adversely affected when air flows backward through the supercharger, as may occur under quick deceleration or while changing gears. This means that the throttle body does not need to be moved or relocated to the front of the supercharger as is the case with positive-displacement superchargers. This means that stock throttle response will not be compromised. What happens when the throttle is closed at high RPM, such as when you change gears, is that the pressure between the supercharger and the closed throttle will build up until it exceeds the boost pressure being supplied by the supercharger. The air between the supercharger and the closed throttle will then flow back through the supercharger relieving the pressure. The reverse air flow back through the supercharger is called surge and doesn't cause any harm. However, it does contribute to the noise produced by the centrifugal supercharger. Though this noise caused by surging can be mitigated by installing a blowoff valve either at the supercharger outlet port or near the throttle plate. However, the main source of noise caused by a centrifugal supercharger is the result of the step-up gears that allow the compressor wheel to spin at speeds in excess of 40,000 RPM. Powerdyne counteracts this noise in their Silent-Drive centrifugal superchargers by using an internal belt to drive the compressor wheel rather than step-up gears.
You seem to be forgetting about the other end where the throttle body is.

Compressor surge is ALWAYS bad. There is no debate about it... Free reving is not so bad as while under load but still causes damage to the system over time.

Since you googled "centrifugal supercharger surge" and posted the first link that popped up, here a link to the second hit that talks about the throttlebody. So believe that you wish to believe. Like I said, just say'n...

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=21
Old 11-02-10, 12:31 AM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by Gaugster
You seem to be forgetting about the other end where the throttle body is.

Compressor surge is ALWAYS bad. There is no debate about it... Free reving is not so bad as while under load but still causes damage to the system over time.

Since you googled "centrifugal supercharger surge" and posted the first link that popped up, here a link to the second hit that talks about the throttlebody. So believe that you wish to believe. Like I said, just say'n...

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=21
I don't want to argue but i didn't just presented the first googled article.
But even the one presented by you says that does not highly damaging the engine or sc.
Bad surge is generated when the blower is very close to the throttle body.
If you see at our setup between the throttle body and the sc we have almost 8 feet of piping an intercooler which restricting pressure coming both ways and of course the bov.
At low boost setups surge doesn't do any damage to the compressor
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=85
What you hear in the video is mostly the air coming out from the bov.
Back pressure is trying to keep the valve shut and vacuum is trying to open it.So it closes and opens continuesly until all pressure is relieved and finally stays open.
Synapse stays open when there is Vacuum.
All other kinds of BOV stay closed in Vaccum.
So Synapse works a different way than the others.
Flutter doesn't always mean surge.
But as you said it's just say'n....
Old 11-06-10, 10:40 PM
holyking
Rookie

hey i want to know there different in stock is350 (maybe with some include Exhaust mod ) vs the is250 s/c.
Old 11-07-10, 12:29 AM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by holyking
hey i want to know there different in stock is350 (maybe with some include Exhaust mod ) vs the is250 s/c.
Only one 350 in Europe located in UK fitted with TOM's compressor.
So very difficult for this to happen in EU.

Last edited by pepos; 11-07-10 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: IS250 S/C installed