Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thinking Low Boost Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 01:23 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
if you get this working for the gs4, i'd be in...
I would enjoy doing that. Need a research and development GS4xx in Houston for that to happen. Of course this following an assumed successful build on my LS400. Suffice to say that my project will be different than many will expect and will use a low mount turbo near the engine. In addition to working well at the target boost it can be added to in the future if a stronger transmission option becomes a reality and in that situation be capable of over 800hp.
Old 10-20-10, 02:14 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Question. Is there anyway to reduce the amount of PSI that the supercharger produces other than changing the size of the pulley? Perhaps through the tuning? Reason being is if someone had a newly acquired SC kit and it only came with say...a custom pulley that yielded 8psi and that individual only wanted a 6psi power level without having to incur additional costs to get a (larger) custom pulley fabricated.
This Boost Limiter Valve (BLV) may help

http://www.928m.com/parts/boostlimitervalve.php

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Can RMM pulleys fit on say....an SRT stage 3 setup?
Didn't SRT use ATI Procharger units? check w/ Procharger for larger pulleys
Old 10-20-10, 04:12 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Didn't SRT use ATI Procharger units? check w/ Procharger for larger pulleys[/quote]

Pending on how old this kit is... SRT made there own custom SC too.

JBrady keep us up to speed on your specs and progress.. I am looking to source that Y pipe for us too..Will a gs300 be the same as gs4xx?
Old 10-20-10, 05:33 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Gill...I'll look into it. For the record, this was mr johnson's old SRT Stage 3 SC kit.

I hope he doesn't mind me using the pic...this is what it would "hopefully" look like when I get it installed sometime Spring/Summer. BUT with some engine bay bling. I'll either get all piping hi-polished or chromed and I'll probably also polish the manifold while I'm at it...
Attached Thumbnails Thinking Low Boost Turbo-srt-stage-3-supercharger.jpg  
Old 10-20-10, 05:52 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

man that sure does look pretty
Old 10-20-10, 08:12 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by passnu2
man that sure does look pretty
Yeah, and I owe it to all it's previous owners for taking care of it! Thanks again for all your help Mike!
Old 10-20-10, 08:31 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

On another note, I think your DEFINITELY onto something J! If anyone can do it I'm sure you can...you always seem pretty damn knowledgable in every thread. GL!
Old 10-20-10, 10:50 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How much power are you expecting out of this kit (Rock)? Congrats. planning to upgrade the rod?
Old 10-20-10, 11:37 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Well, I heard and read that the previous owner(s) were making around 420whp and around 360wtq where they didn't even have headers! I'd be happy with a very mild tune producing say...370-380whp while it is my daily driver. After that I would probably utilize the smaller custom pulley supplied and perhaps beef up the tranny a little. We'll see. All I know is it is going to be SICK!

Pulling up some old threads by mr johnson he mentioned that his 0-60 was around 4.5 seconds and that was WITH letting off the gas to allow the tranny to shift (all that power would just make it bounce off the rev limiter). He mentioned on highway pulls not much would hang with it.
Old 10-20-10, 05:48 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the idea of keeping the S&S headers and the low-mount turbo, and the budget setup. Very interested in following this...

I don't want to derail the thread any more than it already has, but wouldn't our limited psi goals make the supercharger's full-range power delivery more useful? Otherwise we'd run 6 psi from 3k RPMs to 6k RPMs, right? I'm thinking even less opportunity for acceleration at 6psi -- we'd need all the TIME we could get at that psi since the psi itself is a constant and limiting factor...?

(I have no idea what I'm talking about -- just throwing a thought out there.)

Jbrady, so what are your plans? Do you have a rough idea you could offer up? Bill of materials? Can you scan in a sketch?

The blow-off valve sound from a GS would be priceless!!

Last edited by Frankdorn; 10-21-10 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-21-10, 09:39 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

^^^ esp a BOV sound on th v8...
Old 10-21-10, 10:36 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Jbrady, so what are your plans? Do you have a rough idea you could offer up? Bill of materials? Can you scan in a sketch?

I like the idea of keeping the S&S headers and the low-mount turbo, and the budget setup. Very interested in following this...

I don't want to derail the thread any more than it already has, but wouldn't our limited psi goals make the supercharger's full-range power delivery more useful? Otherwise we'd run 6 psi from 3k RPMs to 6k RPMs, right? I'm thinking even less opportunity for acceleration at 6psi -- we'd need all the TIME we could get at that psi since the psi itself is a constant and limiting factor...?

(I have no idea what I'm talking about -- just throwing a thought out there.)

The blow-off valve sound from a GS would be priceless!!
No list or sketch at this point.

Not all superchargers are the same.
Some make the same boost (or very similar boost) from off idle to redline. This type is known as a positive displacement supercharger.
The Eatons and Whipples are positive displacement.
Others make boost progressively and start making boost at 2500rpm or so but do not reach peak boost until redline. This type is known as a centrifugal supercharger.
The ATI's and Paxton's and the above pictured SRT is of this type.

Turbos can be sized to make boost from very low RPM and that is a typical street design. For maximum power racing designs turbos are sized for peak power flow such as mega HP Supras. My target is street with quick boost response in the 2000rpm range with peak boost by 3000rpm and lasting til redline. This should make the engine FEEL like it is 5.5 liters making 400ft/lbs and 400hp.

This is all in my "cranial design studio" but is based on solid knowledge.
Old 10-21-10, 11:20 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

so essentially your doing a remote mount setup right?

i have been very interested in this type of setup for awhile as its more efficient for the v8 IMHO...

we actually discussed it a long time ago and i think someone emailed STS and they informed us of the universal kit they have...

i can dig the link up in a sec

Edit: FOUND A FEW

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...d-of-this.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...not-gs300.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...bo-set-up.html

and OMFG this one is ancient

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ting-400s.html

Last edited by sakataj; 10-21-10 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-21-10, 01:19 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
so essentially your doing a remote mount setup right?
Reasonable guess but not remote.
Low mount single, engine bay, passenger side.

Remote mounting makes muffling difficult and part of this goal includes stealth quiet.
Old 10-23-10, 05:26 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So are you too busy with the build to elaborate more or will this remain a mystery for now...?

Quick Reply: Thinking Low Boost Turbo