Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thinking Low Boost Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 01:41 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Well, I heard and read that the previous owner(s) were making around 420whp and around 360wtq where they didn't even have headers! I'd be happy with a very mild tune producing say...370-380whp while it is my daily driver. After that I would probably utilize the smaller custom pulley supplied and perhaps beef up the tranny a little. We'll see. All I know is it is going to be SICK!

Pulling up some old threads by Mr Johnson he mentioned that his 0-60 was around 4.5 seconds and that was WITH letting off the gas to allow the tranny to shift (all that power would just make it bounce off the rev limiter). He mentioned on highway pulls not much would hang with it.
Is that an 8 rib pulley on your unit? Did Mr. J ever say what psi his kit was running?
I have some literature on some of SRT stage 1,2 & 3 kits back in the day.
Old 11-05-10, 08:44 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
So are you too busy with the build to elaborate more or will this remain a mystery for now...?
Since my design will be unlike anything most people have ever seen I will keep the details to myself for the moment. I am not interested in "convincing" detractors of my design.

One curiousity I do have is the available space in a GS compared to my LS. The design will be tightly packaged so it will be a bonus if it will also work on a GS.

Again, the main goal is more power but within the limits of the stock block and the transmission. It will be capable of MUCH more power than I will be using.
Old 11-05-10, 12:42 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Is that an 8 rib pulley on your unit? Did Mr. J ever say what psi his kit was running?
I have some literature on some of SRT stage 1,2 & 3 kits back in the day.
I'm not sure what PSI; I keep thinking about an 8.5psi number....not sure why. It is either a 6-rib or an 8-rib...I'll check later.

BTW is there any way possible that your can send me a copy of that literature to my email? Please let me know via PM and I will send you my email addy. This would be greatly appreciated especially if you have installation instructions.
Old 11-05-10, 01:20 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Guys, this is a low boost TURBO thread. Start a supercharger thread if that is your goal.
Old 11-05-10, 02:23 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry man...I lost touch for a second, didn't mean to hijack or anything.
Old 11-05-10, 03:18 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jbrady, lowmount still gravity fed for oil line or you going to run a scavenger pump?
Old 11-05-10, 09:16 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedaddic
jbrady, lowmount still gravity fed for oil line or you going to run a scavenger pump?
Scavenge. I have been considering many scavenge options since 1990. Given enough R/D time I feel that I can devise something that is nearly completely vacuum operated. Using a scavenge pump as a part time assist only.

Initially it will probably use a standard electric system with the vacuum system coming later.
Old 11-05-10, 09:42 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

any idea what pump youre going with? I run a sts turbo on my silverado. I've got the STS scavenge pump but I went and bout a different one for backup. I forgot the name of it cause i haven't needed it in over a year. Starts with a M....
Old 11-06-10, 08:08 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedaddic
any idea what pump youre going with? I run a sts turbo on my silverado. I've got the STS scavenge pump but I went and bout a different one for backup. I forgot the name of it cause i haven't needed it in over a year. Starts with a M....
Good question...

Obviously one of the available electric oil pumps, often differential/transmission oil pumps, are the go to way to scavenge. Tilton is one of the most common, not sure but maybe you are thinking Milodon.

My idea combines vacuum evacuation with intermittent electric assist. This has several benefits. No constant pump noise. Pump only used when boost is present for long enough to need scavenging assist. If electric pump fails simply drive off boost until serviced. Quiet. Elegant. Of course successful implementation is dependent on flow demands and will probably be better with the restricted flow of the newer ball bearing turbos.

Probably be a demand for my system once I get it out of the noggin and into physical form.
Old 03-16-24, 09:53 PM
STRIDOR
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
There are many members running close to 400whp on stock internals and transmissions, why are you targeting such a low gain? I don't really see the point in 320whp, maybe more on the 340-360whp. Either way I'll give you props, but 320whp is just not enough to even consider all the fabrication you'll have to go through. Unless you go remote mount, quick, simple, easy, and on top of all, cheap.
You might as well run a V35A-FTS from the LC500 3.5Liter Twin Turbo about 420 to the wheels. Got the internals from factory for boost and vvti intake & exhaust. Plenty of Potential for 🤑
Old 03-17-24, 02:44 PM
firelizard

Received 444 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by STRIDOR
You might as well run a V35A-FTS from the LC500 3.5Liter Twin Turbo about 420 to the wheels. Got the internals from factory for boost and vvti intake & exhaust. Plenty of Potential for 🤑
Call me skeptical, but I doubt it would be more cost effective to find and swap in a V35A than to boost a 2JZ-GE. It would be an interesting science experiment.

The V35A is in the LS500. The LC500 has a 2UR V8.