Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thinking Low Boost Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-10, 01:38 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Thinking Low Boost Turbo

I am thinking about building a low boost turbosystem for my engine.

Since the stock block has weak rods and cast pistons AND since the stock 5 speed is not rated for the torque a higher boost system would make this is IMO the best solution to more performance.

5 psi of boost if properly designed should make around 400hp (320-340rwhp). If the power was kept at that point and not raised further the engine and transmission stand a good chance of providing reasonable reliability. Since I have the skills to build this myself I can minimize costs.

It does not make economic sense to target higher than the above power levels as a complete engine rebuild with upgraded parts AND a DIFFERENT transmision solution, not to mention the ability to properly tune the application, would be needed for reliabililty. Our cars are fun and reasonably fast BUT compared to more and more new cars we are getting slower by the minute. 400hp is enough to run with MOST cars respectably not to mention the fun potential.
Old 10-10-10, 02:36 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would agree! I bought an M90 supercharger (OEM on the Gran Prix GTP) to do the same thing, but was eyeing the 6psi mark -- it seems 7 psi is where more issues can start to pop up (fuel injector/pump upgrades, stress on the rods, need for an intercooler, etc) and I wanted to steer far clear of that for dependability and cost reasons. Going my route, I expected to spend about $5-600 on parts and installing myself, then selling my K&N FIPK to pay for the dyno tune of the Apexi SAFC. I don't know as much about the turbo option, so I'll let the others (JeffTsai?) chime in about that.

I wonder if you could pull a turbo off a Volvo in a junkyard for $50... Would you need an intercooler? Hit e-bay for the boost controller, wastegate, blow-off valve, etc.?
Old 10-10-10, 03:11 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
I would agree! I bought an M90 supercharger (OEM on the Gran Prix GTP) to do the same thing, but was eyeing the 6psi mark -- it seems 7 psi is where more issues can start to pop up (fuel injector/pump upgrades, stress on the rods, need for an intercooler, etc) and I wanted to steer far clear of that for dependability and cost reasons. Going my route, I expected to spend about $5-600 on parts and installing myself, then selling my K&N FIPK to pay for the dyno tune of the Apexi SAFC. I don't know as much about the turbo option, so I'll let the others (JeffTsai?) chime in about that.

I wonder if you could pull a turbo off a Volvo in a junkyard for $50... Would you need an intercooler? Hit e-bay for the boost controller, wastegate, blow-off valve, etc.?
As far as engine stress goes it is the gross power that the rods, pistons must manage. Detonation will kill any engine so that MUST be avoided. The supercharger will require more gross horsepower to make 400hp net at the crankshaft vs. a well designed turbo so that is in the turbo's favor. Intake temps at the target boost will be lower as well. It will also be quieter.

Unfortunately there are no junkyard turbos are available for my plan.
Old 10-10-10, 06:22 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool.

Could you share your parts list.. even if its a wip..
Details like turbo manufacture and model.

Will an intercoler be needed at 5psi?

Lastly o.t...any progress on your Y pipe, as PPE is nearing completion on the shorties.
Old 10-10-10, 07:30 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess you could get away without running an IC but why? IC are so inexpensive, it should be mandatory. No need to risk your motor for a few bucks. Fabricating IC piping can get expensive when you are paying a shop but doesn't have to be, especially if you are doing it yourself. As far as ebay turbo parts, I wouldn't go cheap on vital parts. It is not worth it. At the end of my 2JZ NA-T build, I decided to go with a replica HKS gate because I was excited for it to be done. In the end, it leaked and in the end after a few months it stay stuck open. For what reason I do not know and I really didn't care, I tossed it for a brand new Tial 44mm gate

I would invest in the best engine management I can get. AEM FIC 8 or Greddy EMU?

On the VVTI 2JZGE (weakest rods of all 2JZs) I've seen blocks with 100,000+ miles boosted but I think the key is engine management. I notice the ones that hold up the best and make the most power, obviously, are the standalone ECU tuned motors.
Old 10-12-10, 05:22 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many members running close to 400whp on stock internals and transmissions, why are you targeting such a low gain? I don't really see the point in 320whp, maybe more on the 340-360whp. Either way I'll give you props, but 320whp is just not enough to even consider all the fabrication you'll have to go through. Unless you go remote mount, quick, simple, easy, and on top of all, cheap.
The following users liked this post:
STRIDOR (03-16-24)
Old 10-12-10, 09:34 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jbrady, you're right...after a certain amount of boost, its just not economical for us...I've got way too much money in my stock engine right now...I can't imagine when I rebuild it how high the bill is going to get.
Old 10-16-10, 06:46 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the tipping point from what I've read is ~7psi. I would like to stay below 6 for this reason (my daily driver).
Old 10-17-10, 11:49 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSJake
Very cool.

Could you share your parts list.. even if its a wip..
Details like turbo manufacture and model.

Will an intercoler be needed at 5psi?

Lastly o.t...any progress on your Y pipe, as PPE is nearing completion on the shorties.
I am targeting the lowest cost easiest to implement design possible. Most likely keeping both stock exhaust manifolds which of course would also work with the S&S or even the new PPE if their design is a direct fit replacement (yet to be announced). Since I already have a 60-1 compressor (450-500whp capacity) it will be my starting place. Ideally I would run a new GT from Garrett but that is a big price increase.

Intercooling is not required at 5psi but always a good idea. I have yet to decide if my first design will incorporate one or not.

The Y pipe is completed... in my head ... just need to build it. If someone has a stock GS4xx Y pipe they can lend/ship to Houston that could speed up the process.

My end goal here is to extract as much power from the STOCK design and assemblies and limitations as possible to keep our rides power competitive AND do it as the lowest total cost. Currently nitrous fills that space but with bottle refills that changes over time. Power target is 330-350rwhp which is 100+ over stock.
Old 10-19-10, 08:42 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

if you get this working for the gs4, i'd be in...
Old 10-19-10, 10:23 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Question. Is there anyway to reduce the amount of PSI that the supercharger produces other than changing the size of the pulley? Perhaps through the tuning? Reason being is if someone had a newly acquired SC kit and it only came with say...a custom pulley that yielded 8psi and that individual only wanted a 6psi power level without having to incur additional costs to get a (larger) custom pulley fabricated.
Old 10-19-10, 11:22 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

rmm pullies are cheap
Old 10-19-10, 11:50 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Can RMM pulleys fit on say....an SRT stage 3 setup?
Old 10-19-10, 12:15 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

you're a hold out
Old 10-19-10, 12:24 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedaddic
you're a hold out
pm sent...