Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 11:32 AM
LEXO951
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I used new gaskets without silicone though. I'm now getting a code for a leak on the other side (before was passenger). The leak is not that bad though because it takes a long time before the CEL comes on. 95% of the time, the O2 sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) is reading like it should. I really wished they made a recessed seat. Would have made things a lot easier, and it's not even that hard to mill out.
Hey Airbender GSTEG ^^^ had a similar issue with a cell showing up but it seems like his was due to a possible exhaust leak. Due to unresssed header not creating a good enough seal. May want to look into it?

BTW what is seafoam for? I've seen it but never used it.
Old 02-09-11, 01:50 PM
synco357
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those who have installed these headers, how difficult are they to install? Time?
Old 02-09-11, 02:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by synco357
For those who have installed these headers, how difficult are they to install? Time?
All the info about the install is buried within this thread. It's not a hard job. It's just time consuming, and you have you work with the little amount of space you got.
Old 02-09-11, 02:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by LEXO951
Hey Airbender GSTEG ^^^ had a similar issue with a cell showing up but it seems like his was due to a possible exhaust leak. Due to unresssed header not creating a good enough seal. May want to look into it?

Well that was what I've been discussing so far I'm getting the CEL because a leak. First time was bad because the CEL came up within 50 miles. The passenger side was leaking quite a bit so I pulled off both sides and replaced with new gaskets. It was fine for two week (couple hundred miles), until another CEL came on. This time it's the driver side, but the leak is very small. The O2 sensor reading is correct 95% of the time so I know it's not the sensor. I cleared the code and it hasn't shown up yet but if history repeats itself, then it'll come back by next week or so. I could live with it for now. I just never felt confident because the gasket doesn't get crushed as evenly like it's suppose to. This is why I prefer the OEM design because you know you've tighten enough when the two flanges touch all around.
Old 02-09-11, 08:11 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GSteg, could you maybe take pictures of the gap you have between the headers and cats? I jacked up the car today to check on everything and there was barely a gap between the headers and cats on my car, maybe 1/8th of an inch. I used copper gasket silicion on top of the old gasket and torqued the bolts down pretty tight. I just hope i don't get a CEL. But after looking at everything today i was really impressed with myself that everything still looked good. Thanks again for the help BTW!
Old 02-09-11, 09:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by TLcoats
GSteg, could you maybe take pictures of the gap you have between the headers and cats? I jacked up the car today to check on everything and there was barely a gap between the headers and cats on my car, maybe 1/8th of an inch.
Originally Posted by GSteg
Recessing ~1/8" deep is relatively quick and easy.

That 1/8" of an inch can still be a problem if the bolts are not torqued in a pattern. Anytime you have a gap like that, it can change upon loading. Imagine having an 1/8" gap and when you floor your car or something, that gap can go down to 1/16" on one side of the flange. The hhing is when you unload the stress, the gap can go back to 1/8", but that doesn't necessarily mean the gasket will also. It's meant to be crushed by design. So now you've crushed your gasket a bit more and that's what I think happened in my case. Even though you've torqued down the bolts and it may feel like the gasket is totally crushed, it is not. It can still compress.

Anyways no big deal for me. As long as it's not leaking like crazy I'll hold out for now.
Old 02-13-11, 09:04 PM
nickels626
Rookie

how much for ls400 1998 shipped to 33411?
Old 02-14-11, 07:34 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by nickels626
how much for ls400 1998 shipped to 33411?
:

this isn't the classified's NOR is the the LS side. ALSO PPE isn't even really active in this thread, although it would be nice if paul was. i need to go check my headers finally, maybe this week

Last edited by sakataj; 02-14-11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-14-11, 07:56 AM
LEXO951
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
boxing::
Is it safe to come out

QUOTE=sakataj;6144754]:this isn't the classified's NOR is the the LS side. ALSO PPE isn't even really active in this thread, although it would be nice if paul was. i need to go check my headers finally, maybe this week[/QUOTE]

"LMFAO" Thanks, you just made my day!!! No Offense!!!

Last edited by LEXO951; 02-14-11 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-16-11, 08:14 AM
goldgs400.
Rookie

Well I got around to installing the headers this weekend. Took a little longer than expected due to small things but not to bad. I had an exhaust leak from the header going to the cat on the driver side which it seems that most have had a gap there also. I got that gap taken care of and no more exhaust leak. Though I still have what seems to be a little leak somewhere!?!? maybe. I had it checked out at an exhaust place down the road from the house and they told me there wasn't any exhaust leak. So I guess I will go check it later if I get a chance. The noise sounds almost more like a rattle than an exhaust leak not sure whats going on. Anybody else experience any this on the drivers side?

But after the install I'm pretty happy. The fitment was pretty good, everything lined up and I didn't have to grind anything like I noticed posted before (mines a 98).
Once I get this one noise figured out I'm sure I will be a lot happier.
Old 02-16-11, 08:40 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goldgs400.
Well I got around to installing the headers this weekend. Took a little longer than expected due to small things but not to bad. I had an exhaust leak from the header going to the cat on the driver side which it seems that most have had a gap there also. I got that gap taken care of and no more exhaust leak. Though I still have what seems to be a little leak somewhere!?!? maybe. I had it checked out at an exhaust place down the road from the house and they told me there wasn't any exhaust leak. So I guess I will go check it later if I get a chance. The noise sounds almost more like a rattle than an exhaust leak not sure whats going on. Anybody else experience any this on the drivers side?

But after the install I'm pretty happy. The fitment was pretty good, everything lined up and I didn't have to grind anything like I noticed posted before (mines a 98).
Once I get this one noise figured out I'm sure I will be a lot happier.
Did you cut the heat shield off of the steering shaft? It might be contacting the headers. Instead of just bending it i just simply cut it out with a dremel. Took 5 mins.
Old 02-17-11, 08:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

I left the shaft's shield on unmodified. It doesn't interfere with the headers at all. In fact, there is a good amount of clearance.
Old 02-17-11, 09:06 AM
goldgs400.
Rookie

Yeah I took a look the shaft's shield yesterday and it had plenty of room. I drove the car today for a few minutes and the noise seems to going away over time. Not really sure what it is. I thought maybe the headers were making the noise.
Old 02-17-11, 09:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

i need to go check my headers finally, maybe this week
WELL, finally checked my headers..............

they good, no cracks, no miswelds
Old 02-17-11, 03:27 PM
whitegs430
Driver

Thats good to hear

WELL, finally checked my headers..............

they good, no cracks, no miswelds

Quick Reply: PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC