Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 09:49 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goldgs400.
Well I have put many miles on the car after the install and I took the car to the muffler shop to get checked for leaks. They couldn't find any but I am still getting a pinging/ ticking coming from the drivers side. They told me that it could be the headers making the noise.... Acted like it was common for headers to do this. Has anybody had any pinging/ ticking coming from there headers? I'm starting to get worried. Thanks.
For PPE's headers right? I have the same sound, it's just how the headers sound since it is much thinner tubing then stock. Nothing to worry about. An exhaust leak sounds much louder. I used lots of silicon gasket around where the headers meet the engine block so there shouldn't be any leaks there. Just hoping we don't have any cracking issues.
Old 03-17-11, 10:02 PM
goldgs400.
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I was hoping it was just the PPE headers itself.... I have only built turbo cars before. LOL kinda the first V8. And yes I'm hoping we don't have any cracking issues either, I had to weld a small hole in the process of installing the headers although I looked them over countless times. I think it was the only one but at 4 a.m. who knows. Thank you TL for the quick response, it makes me feel 10 times better.
Old 03-17-11, 10:20 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goldgs400.
Yeah I was hoping it was just the PPE headers itself.... I have only built turbo cars before. LOL kinda the first V8. And yes I'm hoping we don't have any cracking issues either, I had to weld a small hole in the process of installing the headers although I looked them over countless times. I think it was the only one but at 4 a.m. who knows. Thank you TL for the quick response, it makes me feel 10 times better.
Anytime!
Old 03-19-11, 01:20 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slowdiver
Timely thread....

I was also one of the guys to get a last set of 2nd Gen S&S headers from PPE. Just started to hear the clicking sound on the passenger side as I now have a crack again. I really believe I have set of the 2nd batch headers as I remember the weld bead going much higher along the tube sides than the ones you have pictured. I've had these on for at least a year now and have been through at least 3 sets of S&S. In my experience, re-welding does not work.

I wonder if my particular set up is causing cracking because supposedly the
2nd gen S&S do not crack? Kind of a random question, but could my super low gears be contributing to the cracking problem due to significant engine torque or movement in the exhaust manifolds? I will say that from day 1 after install, on wide open throttle from a dead stop, I hear like mini-explosions or detonation pops in this set of 2nd gen S&S headers. This noise never happened with the 1st gen S&S. I guess I have a severe lead foot.

Can you guys give me an update on the new PPE headers. I have been out of the loop. Any cracking yet? Any warranty against cracking from PPE? How is the performance? Maybe Paul will give me some kind of discount on a new set.

I would really like some new headers as this has been the best mod to date besides the PI TC. The clicking noise from the leak is also starting to drive me crazy and I know its going to get worse. Furthermore, I picked up an Apexi NEO and want to get a tune, so I have to take care of this header situation first.

Let me know your thoughts.....hopefully J Brady will chime in with his thoughts.
Wow I was wondering if I was gonna be the only one that is having this problem. Well this is 2 out of the 5. I still have a leak. Sounds like the driver side. I guess it didnt get welded good enough or it didnt hold. So I guess ill be pullin them back out soon. PPE should help us guys out. I still havnt called them yet. But i think that will be on my "to do" list this next week.
Old 03-21-11, 03:17 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by slowdiver

Timely thread....

I was also one of the guys to get a last set of 2nd Gen S&S headers from PPE. Just started to hear the clicking sound on the passenger side as I now have a crack again. I really believe I have set of the 2nd batch headers as I remember the weld bead going much higher along the tube sides than the ones you have pictured. I've had these on for at least a year now and have been through at least 3 sets of S&S. In my experience, re-welding does not work.

I wonder if my particular set up is causing cracking because supposedly the
2nd gen S&S do not crack? Kind of a random question, but could my super low gears be contributing to the cracking problem due to significant engine torque or movement in the exhaust manifolds? I will say that from day 1 after install, on wide open throttle from a dead stop, I hear like mini-explosions or detonation pops in this set of 2nd gen S&S headers. This noise never happened with the 1st gen S&S. I guess I have a severe lead foot.

Can you guys give me an update on the new PPE headers. I have been out of the loop. Any cracking yet? Any warranty against cracking from PPE? How is the performance? Maybe Paul will give me some kind of discount on a new set.

I would really like some new headers as this has been the best mod to date besides the PI TC. The clicking noise from the leak is also starting to drive me crazy and I know its going to get worse. Furthermore, I picked up an Apexi NEO and want to get a tune, so I have to take care of this header situation first.

Let me know your thoughts.....hopefully J Brady will chime in with his thoughts.
Slow... man... that is just wrong. You were one of the pioneers and for you to get a NEW set that cracked is an injustice.

From your and speed's report and from the report a year ago that PPE had bought the jigs and tubes to build 5 sets it MAY in fact be that S&S had the tubes left over from when they upgraded the wall thickness an thus obsoleting these tubes. So, some or even all of the 5 sets assembled by PPE COULD and MAY actually be of the thinner 16 gauge tube

Building exhaust manifolds/headers is tricky. Tubes GROW when heated (during driving) and since each tube is different length AND they are short there is little ability to flex. This leads to cracking. This even occurs on some cast iron factory manifold designs. Even with 40 years of experience Loren Barns was surprised (as was I) that the first gens cracked and where they cracked. The thicker tubing fixed all the ones I am aware of except for these two unknown examples. The S&S were a good design but were built without a car to fit them to. A better design is definitely possible. The PPE is the only available design that replace the stock manifolds and keep the catalysts (very important IMO). Time will tell on all of this.
Old 03-23-11, 04:50 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well just got off the phone with Paul. He said he's not going to be able to warranty the S&S headers, due to the fact that they were already built, when they got them. He said he's gonna cruch some numbers tonight & give me a call tomorrow & let me know what kind of price he could give me on a new set of PPE's. Thanks again Paul for your help on this matter.
Old 03-28-11, 07:47 PM
bcsc400
Pole Position

First I want to give a BIG thanks to jbrady for his help on this project.
The headers and custom merge collector are installed.
The car has way more low end power. With the previous exhaust when you
punched it from a stop it would bog down a bit before the RPM came up. Now
even at low RPM the car jumps up and goes.
The special merge collector really makes great low end torque.
I had it dynoed this morning and the numbers are good. 270.3 HP, 273 FtLbs.
Unfortunately on the first dyno done in January the fellow wasn't able to get the RPM wire to work for the torque graph.
Thats why the torque numbers are so high on the first graph done in January. It's too bad because I would have liked to see the comparison.
The other shop owner was there today and he knew how to wire up the Dyno for an accurate torque reading. The fun factor has gone way up when driving the car at any speed The first graph shows todays run in red and the January run in green. The best run that day was actually 255.8 HP.
The second graph shows HP & Torque.
Attached Thumbnails PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC-dyno-2011.jpg   PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC-torque-2011.jpg  
Old 03-29-11, 06:12 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

NICE! and this was on your SC400? Great numbers!

Other than headers what mods do you have? In January, when you got 255whp what mods did you have? If it was the same just without the headers then this makes complete sense as headers (in general) from what I have found and read yield around 15-20whp and abour 20wtq; which you saw a 15whp increase from your January dyno. What kind of dyno did you use? Thanks for sharing
Old 03-29-11, 08:21 AM
bcsc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
NICE! and this was on your SC400? Great numbers!

Other than headers what mods do you have? In January, when you got 255whp what mods did you have? If it was the same just without the headers then this makes complete sense as headers (in general) from what I have found and read yield around 15-20whp and abour 20wtq; which you saw a 15whp increase from your January dyno. What kind of dyno did you use? Thanks for sharing
Yes, it's a 99 SC400 with 63,000 miles.
BFI, exhaust, 3.77 gears, 16" rims.
The changes made since January are the headers and custom merge collector that has really helped with low end torque. The dyno is a Dyno Dynamics.
I'm really happy with the results!
Old 03-29-11, 09:34 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bcsc400
The changes made since January are the headers and custom merge collector that has really helped with low end torque. The dyno is a Dyno Dynamics.
We basically have the same setups but instead of my intake, you have a BFI and you have that custom merge collector but on the other hand I have the Apexi Neo A/F controller.

I suspect that these differences attribute to the 11.5whp net gain that I have over your figures. Slap on an A/F controller and I suspect that you will see the 280-285whp range. GL!
Old 03-29-11, 01:56 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bcsc400
I cannot comment on how closely this dyno would compare with a dynojet but I believe the net gains are well within comparing. Peak gains of 15+rwhp and 56+rwtq actual (torque gets multiplied, power does not, 56+ in 4th gear, more in lower gears) 15rwtq calculated to engine RPM.
Gains above 6000rpm closer to +20rwhp.

The responsiveness gains are a combination of more torque with quicker reaction to throttle input. This increases the FEEL and makes driving much more exciting. I have explained this many times before but really needs to be experienced to appreciate the difference.

The PPE headers are not likely to be helping torque below 3000rpm but in combination with a much better Y pipe design crafted by BCSC400s master craftsman the car seems to have picked up everywhere. It is very satisfying to see successful execution of plans. Congrats!

I am not comfortable recommending exhaust system design OTHER than to caution people against using large diameter and mismatched/misaligned parts. BC had previously changed from the recommended stock Y pipe to a custom 2.25-2.50 Y pipe and used a preformed Magnaflow Y section that I do not recommend. He asked me for assistance in working with his master craftsman. He was willing and patient and budgeted for an expensive design and followed my recommendations to the T. The results speak for themselves.

The key part of the design uses a specialized merge collector that looks like a conventional race part from the outside but has a carefully design inside to maximize torque without costing any peak power. Tube size from the cats is smaller than his previous 2.25" but gives 18% more flow area than the stock Y.

The balance of the system uses a single 2.5" mid pipe with an aftermarket dual rear section.

The collector itself is 304 stainless and is NOT an inexpensive part.
Attached Thumbnails PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC-img_0273.jpg  

Last edited by JBrady; 03-29-11 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 06:04 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

GREAT STUFF! I like that merge collector; they should mass produce it and sell it...I would be a buyer.
Old 03-30-11, 08:03 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jbrady, you doing exhausts in Houston? I need to come see you if so.
Old 03-30-11, 08:19 AM
bcsc400
Pole Position

More pictures for your enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC-img_0300.jpg   PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC-img_0317.jpg   PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC-img_0310.jpg  
Old 03-30-11, 08:29 AM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Nice set up!! You should post up a sound clip

Quick Reply: PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC